Glastonbury 2024 - Home Edition

st dan

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I am not at the festival this & I have not felt like watching any of it tbh, but a lot of news article this year is a bit negative. I am not sure what the vibe is usually like whilst the festival is on?

From Food & Beer Prices, weak Headliners (Dua Lipa seems to have been very well received though once she's played), queues, to the festival charging acts to play. It's been a bit panned from what I have read.

People I know who watched Dua (Idles & Jungle too for that matter) on Telly thought she was mint. 

Agreed - the metro keeps popping up on my social media with the most negative rubbish like 'you won't believe how much a bottle of water at Glastonbury is this year'. 

Forget that there is free drinking water avaliable everywhere. Crap click bait reporting at its best.

I am not at the festival this & I have not felt like watching any of it tbh, but a lot of news article this year is a bit negative. I am not sure what the vibe is usually like whilst the festival is on?

From Food & Beer Prices, weak Headliners (Dua Lipa seems to have been very well received though once she's played), queues, to the festival charging acts to play. It's been a bit panned from what I have read.

People I know who watched Dua (Idles & Jungle too for that matter) on Telly thought she was mint. 

Think that's usually the case though isn't it? Combination of clickbait, pandering to your readership and journalists pissed off that they didn't get to go

All I can say is that's it's been awesome from my experience.  People have been great, music and atmosphere fantastic, less crowding.

Food has been more expensive as you'd expect but some of the £6 deals are fantastic and great value for money.

7 minutes ago, st dan said:

I think the toxic mix of it being election week, alongside the ongoing Middle East situation means that the far right have seen it as an easy target for their propaganda campaigns.

X has been full of it for days. 

Deleted x a few weeks ago and it’s been very refreshing not having it since tbh! 

Had become a toxic hellhole imo that is clearly just pushing an agenda. No surprise that the change of ethos on the platform has coincided with a rise of the right politically across the world… Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. 

From a very selfish pov, the gutter press can spread misinformation all they like re Glasto tbh, if it stops just one punter going for a ticket then that’s an improved chance for me in October! 
However, as already discussed in here, imo the numbers have been inflated in recent years by the festival becoming the summer Mecca for influencers and z list celebs…. That needs sorting. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, st dan said:

I think the toxic mix of it being election week, alongside the ongoing Middle East situation means that the far right have seen it as an easy target for their propaganda campaigns.

As I replied on there to Kristie Allsop of all people, Twitter during Glastonbury is mostly ignorant people who’ve never been, spouting tired stereotypes and posturing to their mates. Only a small percentage posting have been, and know what they’re talking about. 

28 minutes ago, st dan said:

This is the absolute worst take I have seen peddled by a few right-wing accounts on my X/Twitter feed the last few days (especially so in response to the Banksy migrant boat at Idles):

image.png.339b218d3c44317a70e551ccc2281349.png

Insane comparison which reveals their level of understanding of this topic. 

Sorry to plague this thread with this nonsense, but I needed to vent about that.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

So what was Kendrick Lamar.  He has no number 1 singles to his name on the uk charts. If the door is "open" now then maybe Tyler The Creator gets to perform now.

Maybe ‘chart hits’ was the wrong way of phrasing it then. Every Pyramid headliner this century - including Kendrick - has had at least two or three recognisable bangers that have decidedly crossed over into the mainstream. Until SZA. And Simz would be the same. Not an issue, just a slight change in booking policy. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Back to the today’s lineup … I could quite happily sit at the Other Stage all day. Excellent line up on there for me!

If I was there I'd be spending the evening at Left Field but that's obviously not an option... any reccomendations as struggling to get excited about anyone today?

23 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

If I was there I'd be spending the evening at Left Field but that's obviously not an option... any reccomendations as struggling to get excited about anyone today?

The run of Soft Play / James / Nothing But Thieves / Avril Lavigne will be superb, covering all music tastes/styles. 

Very jealous of those there for The National tonight. Thinking it could be one of those ‘I was there’ moments. They’re in fine live form at present (I would say their best ever), and this is just the perfect slot for them. 
I’ll have to wait until Castlefield Bowl on Thursday for my fix. 

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Back to the today’s lineup … I could quite happily sit at the Other Stage all day. Excellent line up on there for me!

The Other Stage is definitely better than the Pyramid Stage today that's for sure.

In fact I think the Pyramid line up this year as a whole could be the weakest it's been for a long long time. Genuinely not a single act on there today I'd go see and it was the same yesterday pretty much. 

12 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

The Other Stage is definitely better than the Pyramid Stage today that's for sure.

In fact I think the Pyramid line up this year as a whole could be the weakest it's been for a long long time. Genuinely not a single act on there today I'd go see and it was the same yesterday pretty much. 

Janelle Monae one of the only things I'd bother with on the Pyramid the whole weekend.

1 hour ago, Benjsh said:

At the risk of sounding like a Glastonbury hipster, if I'd got a ticket this year I doubt I would have watched a single thing on the pyramid stage all weekend.