Glastonbury 2024 - Home Edition

st dan

2 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

I’m not convinced that Little Simz would draw a much bigger crowd than SZA to be honest. She also doesn’t really have any massive hits that would be recognisable to the average attendee.

I’d love to be wrong though. 

This is it in a nutshell. 

I think people misconstrue a lack of confidence in someone for a headliner as hate for their music or some other “throwing of shade”. It’s not that at all.

The headliner slot is a particular assignment with its own idiosyncrasies.

For the first 30 minutes Coldplay understood the assignment….

10 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

She’s massive in every sense. Did you see the response she got when she played a couple of years ago?!

And as I say, the festival clearly agree if it’s true she turned them down this time. 

The festival seem to be getting it wrong though….or they havnt got the pulling power/shekels anymore for the top tier artists.

Well that's that for another year - what a load of old shite!

Obviously I'm joking - I've been watching from home for the last 4 (last went in 2017) and for all the talk of "what a terrible lineup", I think it's been incredible! I've seen awesome performances from Idles, The National, James, The Breeders, Soccer Mommy, Alvvays & The Mary Wallopers. Plus very good sets from NewDad, Sleaford Mods, Paul Heaton, Lankum and a few others. And there's a few other sets I haven't seen yet that I'm looking forward to catching up on in the next few days. 

Anyway, it's been a blast. Thank you everyone for your company. Looking forward to doing it all again next year. 

think a major problem with women headliners is they have a shorter span to get it right and stay big

fans tend to cast them aside far to quickly and say its over for them, much quicker than say a male headliner

Florence for example has the hits and has cross over appeal, but people already saying ..no chance for her to headline again.

she wouldnt be the biggest headliner but in a pinch she would get an Arcade Fire size crowd and enough people would see her.

9 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

but is she massive? In a Glastonbury sense? 

I alluded to Spotify having a lot to answer for on a previous post and I think we are heading down that road. The tick-tockification of taste.

The headliners should be an irrepressible force like the arctic monkeys in 2007 or a legacy act with credit in the bank , a decent back catalogue, and preferable if they transcend age groups.

Judging  on some of the suggestions today we are using what 18 year old girls are listening to as the barometer.

She shifted the best part of 200k tickets on the UK+Ireland legs of her tour, she pulled a huge crowd at her last appearance at the festival. Both of her albums are still sat comfortably at 18 and 22 on the album charts (the only other artists with multiple albums in the top 50 still are Taylor, Oasis and Fleetwood Mac). She has 8 top 10 songs in the UK and 13 top 40. 

Whichever way you want to dice it, she has the ticket sales, the record sales, the streaming numbers and the previous showing at the festival to suggest she is big enough to headline.

10 minutes ago, panda97 said:

She shifted the best part of 200k tickets on the UK+Ireland legs of her tour, she pulled a huge crowd at her last appearance at the festival. Both of her albums are still sat comfortably at 18 and 22 on the album charts (the only other artists with multiple albums in the top 50 still are Taylor, Oasis and Fleetwood Mac). She has 8 top 10 songs in the UK and 13 top 40. 

Whichever way you want to dice it, she has the ticket sales, the record sales, the streaming numbers and the previous showing at the festival to suggest she is big enough to headline.

Also one of those pop acts where both her upbeat and quieter songs are radio hits. Usually major pop stars sets dip during the middle when the slower tracks are wheeled out; but I saw her on her recent arena tour and it was solid energy from the crowd from start to finish.

The piano ballads got the biggest singalongs!

She also 'gets the festival' as so many posters here are obsessed with headliners being. 😄

Edited by FrogLobster

Now the festival is finally finished (f me doesn't it drag when you are not there?!), I finally feel ready to make a confession to all of my fellow TV watchers..... 

I have no idea who SZA is. 

Wow, feels good to get that off my chest! 

A sign of me getting old I fear, the first time in memory I genuinely had no idea who a headliner was 🙈

24 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Also one of those pop acts where both her upbeat and quieter songs are radio hits. Usually major pop stars sets dip during the middle when the slower tracks are wheeled out; but I saw her on her recent arena tour and it was solid energy from the crowd from start to finish.

She also 'gets the festival' as so many posters here are obsessed with headliners being. 😄

Yeah definitely, I think she would be a great headliner booking, her live performance has grown massively from her first tour to her second as well

4 minutes ago, Gashead86 said:

Now the festival is finally finished (f me doesn't it drag when you are not there?!), I finally feel ready to make a confession to all of my fellow TV watchers..... 

I have no idea who SZA is. 

Wow, feels good to get that off my chest! 

A sign of me getting old I fear, the first time in memory I genuinely had no idea who a headliner was 🙈

I've listened to both of her albums in full multiple times but I genuinely couldn't name a single song outside of Kill Bill and even then I couldn't tell you what that song sounds like off the top of my head

Don't get me wrong, I don't think she makes bad music, just a little forgettable for me, and it absolutely isn't her fault that her set didn't go down great, she was a bad booking but her and her team aren't going to turn down a Pyramid headline spot if offered

9 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

In what way was a 20 year old woman talking about abortion rights is classed as 'whinging? 🤔

Just sing the songs and Foxtrot Oscar. It’s an incredibly divisive issue and I’m sure plenty of the audience are pro life.

i don’t know the arctic monkeys opinions on anything. And that’s the way I like it.

Arrive. Play your songs. And f**k off.

34 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

couldn’t name a single song bar the driver license one.

9 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Just sing the songs and Foxtrot Oscar. It’s an incredibly divisive issue and I’m sure plenty of the audience are pro life.

i don’t know the arctic monkeys opinions on anything. And that’s the way I like it.

Not entirely sure how women's rights to choices about their own body is a divisive issue. 🤔

That's not a very 'Glasto' statement to make!

Edited by FrogLobster
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Fatboy Slim had a Vote Change backdrop, Idles had a migrant boat, political messages all over a festival that champions CND, poverty charities and environmental issues. But the young woman has to stay quiet.

12 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Not entirely sure how women's rights to choices about their own body is a divisive issue. 🤔

That's not a very 'Glasto' statement to make!

It’s one of the most divisive issues of our time no? 

We had an abortion referendum in Ireland a few years back.

33% voted against it. 

One in Three people.

2 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

It’s one of the most divisive issues of our time no? 

We had an abortion referendum in Ireland a few years back.

33% voted against it. 

One in Three people.

Not entirely sure why an Irish referendum is relevant to Glastonbury. 

Glastonbury has always had a political angle, singling out a young female for being pro women’s rights/choice is an odd hill to die on. 

12 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Fatboy Slim had a Vote Change backdrop, Idles had a migrant boat, political messages all over a festival that champions CND, poverty charities and environmental issues. But the young woman has to stay quiet.

I never said that at all. In fact I was giving Chris Martin plenty of welly all evening for his Bono/Geldof tribute act.

I didnt see Fatboy slim, dont know what CND is.

I think the migrant boat was Banksy's handwork, not idles. 

Dont agree with Banksy's sentiment on the small boat issue at all, but I'll give him a pass as he is a legend with loads of credit in the bank. Was in his museum in Barca two weeks ago actually. Highly recommend.

6 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Not entirely sure why an Irish referendum is relevant to Glastonbury. 

Glastonbury has always had a political angle, singling out a young female for being pro women’s rights/choice is an odd hill to die on. 

I didnt single her out.

And im actually pro choice for what its worth.

Someone was pointing out how big she was, and all I was saying was that I know the driving license song and the time she brought out Lily Allen and they were whinging about abortion.

If I recall it was actually Lily Allens song they sang and not one of Rodrigos?

If you follow my posts on here I take issue with all the bleeding heart millionaires moralising to us from their pulpit, regardless of sex.

And the field itself full of a comfortable class of people paying 400 quid a ticket.

Its the holier than thou stuff I take issue with.