Glastonbury 2024 - Home Edition

st dan

2 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Is this some sort of attempt at a "gotcha" ?

I voted FOR it.

But it's a highly divisive issue surely?

US presidential candidates can torpedo their whole chance based on their stance on the issue.

image.thumb.png.96646724ed2779bafcd164292fefb9df.png

Your evidence is a vague wikipedia page, 2 articles about abortion rights in Brazil and a study from 1985?

Not sure much of that is relevant to someone talking about her views on bodily autonomy at a festival in the UK that is renowned for being a politically active event

26 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Not entirely sure why an Irish referendum is relevant to Glastonbury. 

Glastonbury has always had a political angle, singling out a young female for being pro women’s rights/choice is an odd hill to die on. 

Because a poster asked why it was divisive. And I replied with a recent example. It’s fairly easy to follow if you read back.

The thing with abortion (at least in the UK) is, I don't think having abortions readily available is the contentious part. About 85-90% of Brits think abortion should be made available.

The divisive bit is where to draw the line. 8 weeks? 12 weeks? 6 months?

Perhaps Lily Allen and O-Rod should have made that clear.

Then we could have done a huge Kahoot Poll to see who is pro and con, then discussed the pros and cons, then done a second poll to see if anyone had their mind changed by the singing celebrities, then gotten back on with the music. That's how I would have done it anyway. A nice 20-minute interactive segment.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The thing with abortion (at least in the UK) is, I don't think having abortions readily available is the contentious part. About 85-90% of Brits think abortion should be made available.

The divisive bit is where to draw the line. 8 weeks? 12 weeks? 6 months?

Perhaps Lily Allen and O-Rod should have made that clear.

Then we could have done a huge Kahoot Poll to see who is pro and con, then discussed the pros and cons, then done a second poll to see if anyone had their mind changed by the singing celebrities, then gotten back on with the music. That's how I would have done it anyway. A nice 20-minute interactive segment.

Thanks for weighing in. 

People seem to be on a hair trigger around here ready to pounce on someone for wrong think.

I always mix Rodrigo up with Camilla Cabello, Olivia Dean etc. The emblandening of modern music.

Same with Janelle Monae and Emili Sandé. Always mix them up.

All I was saying was that I only knew her from the driving license song and queried was she the one whinging about abortion. 

A few posts later Im being asked to present my thesis on abortion 😅

It would be like if someone said "Roger Daltry is f**king huge, he should headline"

And me replying "is he the one always whinging about Israel?"

The correct response from the next poster is either "yes thats him" or "no you're mixing him up with Roger Waters".

The way the discourse is conducted here, the subsequent posts would be "so youre saying you hate Israel?" "whats your problem with Palestine?" etc etc

People jumping in front of snowballs im not throwing.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, panda97 said:

Your evidence is a vague wikipedia page, 2 articles about abortion rights in Brazil and a study from 1985?

Not sure much of that is relevant to someone talking about her views on bodily autonomy at a festival in the UK that is renowned for being a politically active event

I was simply showing examples of it being labelled as divisive.

If it was such a slam dunk, those articles would not exist.

Edited by Drums Please Fab

40 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Thanks for weighing in. 

People seem to be on a hair trigger around here ready to pounce on someone for wrong think.

I always mix Rodrigo up with Camilla Cabello, Olivia Dean etc. The emblandening of modern music.

Same with Janelle Monae and Emili Sandé. Always mix them up.

All I was saying was that I only knew her from the driving license song and queried was she the one whinging about abortion. 

A few posts later Im being asked to present my thesis on abortion 😅

It would be like if someone said "Roger Daltry is f**king huge, he should headline"

And me replying "is he the one always whinging about Israel?"

The correct response from the next poster is either "yes thats him" or "no you're mixing him up with Roger Waters".

The way the discourse is conducted here, the subsequent posts would be "so youre saying you hate Israel?" "whats your problem with Palestine?" etc etc

People jumping in front of snowballs im not throwing.

Yeah, it's the nature of the beast on here sometimes. 

Lots of snowballing and suddenly you're defending what you've said to five different posters who've all projected something onto you which you never even said or meant in the first place, lol. 

Keeps the debating senses sharp, mind you, haha 😛 

44 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

I think it's pretty understandable that some people have taken issue with you accusing a young woman of using her platform to 'whinge about abortion'. Not exactly the most pleasant wording. Maybe consider how you put things when bringing up, as you say, such a 'divisive topic'? Unless you're actually trying to provoke people, in which case well done on your successful trolling. 👏

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I think it's pretty understandable that some people have taken issue with you accusing a young woman of using her platform to 'whinge about abortion'. Not exactly the most pleasant wording. Maybe consider how you put things when bringing up, as you say, such a 'divisive topic'? Unless you're actually trying to provoke people, in which case well done on your successful trolling. 👏

I just think the modern world makes hypocrites of us all.

Filming our "oppression" and "injustices" on 1500 dollar smart phones made in sweat shops. 

There is a bang of insincerity off people these days who crusade for the latest trend......but I know , and they know, that when Billie Jean comes on they still start tapping their toes.

Kanye has a pop at Israel and their influence (Marlon Brando did similar in the past).......Everyone get Kanye!!!!!!!!! Burn your Yeezys!

Israel bombs the bollox out of Palestine......."f**k Israel" "Boycott everything" Boycott Radiohead, Boycott Nick Cave" "they control the media", "they control our banks". etc etc etc

Bono whinging to us during every gig about the latest injustice and then paying all the royalty tax in the Netherlands. We are all in it together eh Bono.

People would rather be wrong in a mob, than right on their own.

As I alluded to in a previous post. I dont know Alex Turners opinion on anything. And I like it that way.

Last year Matt Healy got plenty of welly from the gallery on this very forum for his gay kiss stunt in Malaysia.

People told him to stay in his lane.....They'd have told Rosa Parks to get up and move by that metric.

This year im taking pelters for suggesting maybe Olivia and Chris leave their politics at the door.

Which is it folks?

28 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Last year Matt Healy got plenty of welly from the gallery on this very forum for his gay kiss stunt in Malaysia.

People told him to stay in his lane.....They'd have told Rosa Parks to get up and move by that metric.

This year im taking pelters for suggesting maybe Olivia and Chris leave their politics at the door.

Which is it folks?

It’s almost like posters on here have a diverse range of views!?

12 minutes ago, amfy said:

The difference between Matty Healy & gay rights and Olivia Rodrigo & Lily Allen on abortion rights is that the women here are talking about something that affects them first hand. 

It affects the man whose kid is getting aborted too no? Not to mention the "life" or prospective life of the unborn child.

And I will reiterate before the mob come...im pro choice.

But there are shades of grey in all these things.

It cant be "good on ya girl" when Olivia does it and "what a w*nker" when Healy does it.

We are either for the downtrodden or we arent.

Edited by Drums Please Fab

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

Anywayyyy …. 

Here we go:

https://www.glastofestfeed.com/news/coverage/watch-glastonbury-2024-setlist-iplayer/

Takes you directly to the link in iPlayer to watch whoever you want. 

Now you are talking! 

Good work in getting this back on track too! 

Can those wishing to have social / economic / political debate kindly do so elsewhere and leave this lovely thread for those of us whom were not on the farm and have been collectively wallowing all weekend please? Many Thanks 

3 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

OK, which acts do you hope to headline 2025? 😄

Not that I hope for these but based on whats out there something like:

The 1975 (should have been this year)

Fred Again (meteoric rise, local boy dun good, guaranteed party)

Red Hot Chili Peppers or Madonna (legacy "legends" with plenty of singalong opportunities)

On 6/30/2024 at 12:01 AM, Drums Please Fab said:

First 20 minutes were great and then they made a dogs dinner of it.

To be honest, I'm all for 20 minute sets. Just condense all the good stuff, bugger off, and save my back and knees from the suffering 😝

1 minute ago, CharlotteB said:

To be honest, I'm all for 20 minute sets. Just condense all the good stuff, bugger off, and save my back and knees from the suffering 😝

This! Saw the Foo Fighters in Cardiff last week and loved them but 3 hours felt too long imo, and nearly every song was extended with a drawn out bridge, or the final chorus re-played etc. fine for one or two songs but this was for most of the set

2 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Because a poster asked why it was divisive. And I replied with a recent example. It’s fairly easy to follow if you read back.

An example from another country, that isn’t relevant to the UK or the artists you were talking about, but sure ok.

The way you worded your original comment about a young woman using her platform to ‘whinge’ about her rights is what got people’s backs up. It stuck out like a proper gammon comment. Had you said something like ‘I don’t like politics in music, I don’t think it’s needed’ then I think less people would have jumped on you. 

You have a point about how hypocritical a lot of things are (Bono is a prime example), I just think some of it is getting lost in your delivery.  

Just now, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

An example from another country, that isn’t relevant to the UK or the artists you were talking about, but sure ok.

The way you worded your original comment about a young woman using her platform to ‘whinge’ about her rights is what got people’s backs up. It stuck out like a proper gammon comment. Had you said something like ‘I don’t like politics in music, I don’t think it’s needed’ then I think less people would have jumped on you. 

You have a point about how hypocritical a lot of things are (Bono is a prime example), I just think some of it is getting lost in your delivery.  

But Olivia Rodrigo isnt from the UK either. 99.99% of the people in attendance at the festival cannot vote in the U.S elections. So what is she harping on at a UK crowd for. Abortion is legal in the UK.

If my example from an English speaking western country, a mere kick in the arse away from the UK is not relevant, then Rodrigo's gripe isnt relevant either.

Tell the folks at Coachella or Lollapolooza Olivia, We cant help ya.

13 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

I believe Confidence Man had a 5 minute (yep) set somewhere in the naughty corner over the weekend.... must have been a 1-song DJ appearance!

10 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

But Olivia Rodrigo isnt from the UK either. 99.99% of the people in attendance at the festival cannot vote in the U.S elections. So what is she harping on at a UK crowd for. Abortion is legal in the UK.

If my example from an English speaking western country, a mere kick in the arse away from the UK is not relevant, then Rodrigo's gripe isnt relevant either.

Tell the folks at Coachella or Lollapolooza Olivia, We cant help ya.

She isn’t from the UK, but the issue affects her rights directly. Also the US is a global superpower, so its influence across the world is far greater than, for example, Ireland. She wasn’t the only person performing that weekend to bring it up either. 

Ireland is a Catholic majority country, the UK is not. So no, I don’t really consider their view on abortion rights to be comparable to the UK despite how close they may be in Geography. 

6 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

She isn’t from the UK, but the issue affects her rights directly. Also the US is a global superpower, so its influence across the world is far greater than, for example, Ireland. She wasn’t the only person performing that weekend to bring it up either. 

Ireland is a Catholic majority country, the UK is not. So no, I don’t really consider their view on abortion rights to be comparable to the UK despite how close they may be in Geography. 

I brought up Ireland as the poster asked why I thought it was divisive. As an Irishman it was topical and recent, with 33% being a sizeable minority opinion.

If we want to focus on the states, its even more divisive over there as I alluded to.

So I was correct in my initial assertion to that other poster.

On to what me and your good self are now talking about

Abortion is legal in both states Olivia resides in . California her state of birth and NY where she has a gaf.

She can still abort as many babies as she wants in her home town.

And for what its worth, nobody goes to f**king Church in Ireland anymore.