Glastonbury 2024 - Home Edition

st dan

6 minutes ago, kk1977 said:

Maybe I’m just getting old but I’ve no idea why Peggy Gou was headlining after Orbital. Surely they should be headling the Park?

Who knows what the choice was but I would assume its that peggy wanted to have some production or something and needed night time. And it was surprising orbital didnt get to headline and play a full set cause they were amazing st coachella and they did 75 mins too.

14 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Definitely the best time they’ve done it. Felt like the end of an era, much as I’m sure they’ll be back in another 6-10 years. 

They shouldn't be back now after 5th one but you just know they will. They always get a big crowd tbf so the will keep having them back no doubt.

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

All in all a great headline set i would say - but if it had carried on like the first 45 mins and they just played their greatest hits without the ‘strange’ periods, then it could have been a headliner for the ages - up there with the very best. 

Well its interesting because staring with Yellow was certainly a sign that it couldve been a big deviation from their current show. But they decided to keep a lot of it. Its not that hard to plug in a few diff songs in the middle and keep it up. Politik has been in rotation for example in the middle and it def would be a big one to throw in there. I mean maybe when they do this again in 5 years theyll just do literal greatest hits

I'm sure the majority of the feedback tomorrow from those who were in the field will be that Coldplay were amazing but, after a really strong start, they lost me a few times in the second half. That's the beauty of sitting at home with the excellent iPlayer coverage as I could just flick over to something else if there was a song I didn't like.

Speaking of which, now catching up on Orbital. Saw them last year at Drumsheds and that set was a lot more club focused than this. Granted they did have an hour and a half there but the cameo from Mel C is a nice touch.

3 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

A "break glass in case of emergency" band. 

Yeah pretty much. Muse and the Killers up there too in that regard. They will be back too. Haha! 

I'd have included Arctic Monkeys too but after last year Im not so sure I want them back. Love their music, especially early stuff, but Alex has totally ruined their live shows by pretending he's now Elvis. 

Foos will be back too eventually but that's no issue for me as I Love Foo Fighters. Watched them live now for over 20 years and never miss a tour. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

Yeah pretty much. Muse and the Killers up there too in that regard. They will be back too. Haha! 

I'd have included Arctic Monkeys too but after last year Im not so sure I want them back. Love their music, especially early stuff, but Alex has totally ruined their live shows by pretending he's now Elvis. 

Foos will be back too eventually but that's no issue for me as I Love Foo Fighters. Watched them live now for over 20 years and never miss a tour. 

They need these kinds of bands to balance out the new headliners that cause the annual social media furore and older acts who are starting to disappear.

Probably will be Muse next year?

22 minutes ago, sildante said:

Peggy is the ‘bigger act’ these days and can imagine her agent would’ve said headline or nothing. Agree it should’ve been Orbital

Yeah. Totally get that. 

I personally love electronic music but I think the Park stage should be for people playing their own music rather than DJs. 

Orbital’s set looked amazing on tv. Surely Peggy should be on Arcadia. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

They need these kinds of bands to balance out the new headliners that cause the annual social media furore and older acts who are starting to disappear.

I'm not so sure about Muse - feels like their day is done. I certainly hope so, their recent stuff is utterly dreadful. 

Foo's will definitely be back though, and probably within the next couple of festivals. 

22 minutes ago, kk1977 said:

Yeah. Totally get that. 

I personally love electronic music but I think the Park stage should be for people playing their own music rather than DJs. 

Orbital’s set looked amazing on tv. Surely Peggy should be on Arcadia. 

Peggy is trying to get out of just being stuck in the arcadia type deal. She was in a prime slot at coachella in the biggest tent 2 months ago.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Buts its going to be inevitable anyway. Emily has the luxury of having a sold out event with no bookings. Program as you see fit. The attendees like it or they dont. Its their choice. If they wanna say glasto lost the plot then dont buy a ticket. Might be the only way to flush out the old generation.

9 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Peggy is trying to get out of just being stuck in the arcadia type deal. She was in a prime slot at coachella in the biggest tent 2 months ago.

I totally get that. watching more of the set on tv, I would have been there for Orbital and wouldn’t have left her set. 
Proper party atmosphere. 

24 minutes ago, kk1977 said:

I totally get that. watching more of the set on tv, I would have been there for Orbital and wouldn’t have left her set. 
Proper party atmosphere. 

Oh yeah. My plan wouldve been Orbital and then Jessie Ware at West Holts. Wouldve missed a little of the beginning but not the worst  trade off

I am not at the festival this & I have not felt like watching any of it tbh, but a lot of news article this year is a bit negative. I am not sure what the vibe is usually like whilst the festival is on?

From Food & Beer Prices, weak Headliners (Dua Lipa seems to have been very well received though once she's played), queues, to the festival charging acts to play. It's been a bit panned from what I have read.

People I know who watched Dua (Idles & Jungle too for that matter) on Telly thought she was mint. 

11 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

yep. SZA booking has properly opened the door to acts with more critical acclaim than chart hits. Simz will definitely do it soon.  

So what was Kendrick Lamar.  He has no number 1 singles to his name on the uk charts. If the door is "open" now then maybe Tyler The Creator gets to perform now.

Fair play to the trans / nonbinary person that seems to have got themselves on front barrier for a few shows - Coldplay and Confidence Man and I think one more I can’t recall - and got some pretty good coverage of having a smashing time. The one with a big blonde bob. Good going!