Glastonbury 2024 - Home Edition

st dan

To draw a decent crowd and to be well received as a ‘good’ headliner, then you need the hits and the singalongs. Simple as that. If you don’t have them, it will always seem a flat performance no matter what. 
I bet 75%+ of people at the festival couldn’t name a single SZA song. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, danwink said:

Bumping Little Simz up to headliner would surely have been a more popular choice?

She's exactly the kind of artist they would have popped up in recent years and no doubt would have had a very decent crowd.

Good lord no. It doesn’t have to be a woman to tick a box. She’d also get a tiny crowd. Sub was already a push. 

2 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Is Avril that big? Again, very happy to be wrong but thought she was a bit of a novelty booking?

Killed it this afternoon. Again, might have been met with a laugh from the public on announcement day but would definitely have pulled in a crowd on the night. I know one person who put a Glastonbury ticket back in the pot to go and see Avril in Bedford last night with their friends instead (yes really).

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

To draw a decent crowd and to be well received as a ‘good’ headliner, then you need the hits and the singalongs. Simple as that. If you don’t have them, it will always seem a flat performance no matter what. 
I bet 75%+ of people at the festival couldn’t name a single SZA song. 

I'd bet 75% had never heard of her 😂 

Avril has at least 5 really well known songs. That's 5 more than the actual act they went with. Hahaha. 

Shouldn't have been either of them though. They should have bit the bullet and got a male band if it came to it. Sometimes plans don't work out. 

Green Day been in the UK for 2 weeks. They'd have been a brilliant end to the festival. Saw them last week in Manchester and it was phenomenal.

Edited by Benjsh

11 minutes ago, DDave said:

Shades of LCD at T in the Park, they were up against the Chili Peppers though. 

The War on Drugs was the best one I ever saw from there. They played the penultimate set on a big outdoor stage to about 30 people. Pretty sure someone like David Guetta was on after, which is arguably the worst bit of scheduling you could imagine.

1 minute ago, Benjsh said:

Avril has at least 5 really well known songs. That's 5 more than the actual they went with. Hahaha. 

Shouldn't have been either of them though. They should have bit the bullet and got a male band if it came to it. Sometimes plans don't work out. 

Green Day been in the UK for 2 weeks. They'd have been a brilliant end to the festival. Saw them last week in Manchester and it was phenomenal.

Green Day, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, even Kasabian who did the TBA are all touring at the moment and would have jumped at the chance to headline

Can anyone explain why it needs to be a woman? They clearly try for gender diversity as much as possible. 2023 happened to be 3 males - who cares? Doesn’t mean we need 2 women this year when it means embarrassing bump ups.

Emily already f**king this up for herself again when she said the 3 female headliners  soon  thing a few months ago 

4 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Is Avril that big? Again, very happy to be wrong but thought she was a bit of a novelty booking?

4 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

Given the size this afternoon, I think you're right 

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Hell they could even have done the Sugababes. The NME would’ve had a fit but at least it’d have gone down a storm on the night. 

After the problems with the headliner and moving SZA from Friday to Sunday it kinda makes more sense? Recognisable hits, household name and prevented the crush.

Plus people might have waited around after Shania and given Janelle more of a chance.

8 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

hmmm not sure about that one, agree it wouldn’t be a big crowd but think Little Simz is bigger here, no?

admit I don’t have my finger on the pulse with music so could be wrong there!

Not by any metric I can think of. 

Simz would have an equally piss poor crowd as people choose other acts for headliner time. 

Bald men fighting over a comb levels here really though. Outside of some musos and Radio6 listeners, noone has a clue who Little Simz is. She's far better playing an earlier slot with less competition, to draw a decent crowd and a casual curious audience. 

4 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

Avril has at least 5 really well known songs. That's 5 more than the actual act they went with. Hahaha. 

I would assume they were asked and turned it down. Surely Emily wasn’t that stubborn about the two women thing. It’s easily explained just by saying “we tried but it fell through”. 

You just pick the best person / people for the job don’t you? 
Madonna would have been great, but as soon as that fell through it should have been back to the drawing board to see who was available that fitted the ball (penis or not) rather than rearranging the pack creating complete mismatches. 

A mess. 

2 minutes ago, mario man said:

Justice great again - quite similar stage set up/lights as 2017 so would have been good to see them elsewhere - this would have looked incredible on the Other Stage 

Yeah they are definitely big enough to do the Other Stage. Always get a good crowd and plenty of people dancing. 

Feel like the light show would look a lot better over there. Totally agree.