Kneecap

CaledonianGonzo

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Get your Brits Out

We're On A Mad One

I've been having an ongoing debate with my Scottish (and strongly independence supporting) boyfriend all weekend about the appropriateness of them in general - and particularly all the English people who are into them (Im English).  

I think they're (at least partly) satirical and hilarious, and it looks like it'd be a lot of fun, but I really don't know much about them!

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2024 at 12:48 PM, Sasperella2 said:

I've been having an ongoing debate with my Scottish (and strongly independence supporting) boyfriend all weekend about the appropriateness of them in general - and particularly all the English people who are into them (Im English).  

I think they're (at least partly) satirical and hilarious, and it looks like it'd be a lot of fun, but I really don't know much about them!

They said that they like the British people not the British government which is the position of most republicans I’ve ever met. 

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

They said that they like the British people not the British government which is the position of most republicans I’ve ever met. 

The best part of 3,000 people in Woodsies first thing singing You Fenian c***s, Get Your Brits Out and Your Sniffer Dogs are s***e was very funny. 

Also bringing a huge pack of cans and sharing them with the crowd. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

DJ Provai doling out the warm Red Stripe

Thanks, whilst I did get more amongst it for a few this year, especially for my vintage, I'm very much not fit for being in the pit. 

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That is unfathomable to me. I'm gathering that you may have an eclectic musical taste?

It started last year after I listened to 400 albums released in 2023 as I'd neglected music since my son was born (2019). While that experiment was definitely overkill, the habits have stuck, but I have adapted them. I've probably started about 50 more and turned them off as I know they aren't my thing. 

As for eclectic...sort of. I will listen to anything. But I'd probably say, quite pompously, that I like good music. My top five albums this year are Kneecap (hip hop), One Step Closer (hardcore/emo), Bayside (pop punk), Charli XCX (pop) and Childish Gambino (whatever you call Brando Stone).

Only way to find new things you like, is to try things you've never tried before. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gejonimo said:

It started last year after I listened to 400 albums released in 2023 as I'd neglected music since my son was born (2019). While that experiment was definitely overkill, the habits have stuck, but I have adapted them. I've probably started about 50 more and turned them off as I know they aren't my thing. 

As for eclectic...sort of. I will listen to anything. But I'd probably say, quite pompously, that I like good music. My top five albums this year are Kneecap (hip hop), One Step Closer (hardcore/emo), Bayside (pop punk), Charli XCX (pop) and Childish Gambino (whatever you call Brando Stone).

Only way to find new things you like, is to try things you've never tried before. 

Have ran out of upvotes.

Thank you for that explanation. 400 albums in a one'er!!  That's ' get out of here' territory, that is. Have I got the time scale right - that's over an album a day, isn't it? That, or anywhere near it, is devotion to music. 

I have a very limited repertoire of musical knowledge - gained by barely listening to anything new myself, and only picking up new ( to me ) stuff when someone around me plays some unknown to me music. My wife expanded my musical knowledge by about a billion percent though. It's through her that I finally 'understand' music. I can see that getting into it could become a passion.

I loved the Woodsies set. I had liked them for a while but seeing them live brought out the satire a bit more I thought. The sniffer dogs are shite was particularly good. Understand some being uncomfortable. I am of Irish descent so get much of it, and but my Irish wife is not keen on them at all. But they were terrific imo and the album is really, really good.  They've certainly had a big summer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

How often do you listen to each one on average?

I listen to a fraction that I once did and I really struggle to connect to an album immediately - it always takes a few to gauge my thoughts. I could  listen to a 100 in 8 months and barely have an opinion on a lot of them.

I can relate to that. Some albums take a few listens to fully appreciate, for me. I spend a lot of time playing records but still find it hard listening to what I have and then listening to new stuff!  As an oldish git in my 50s am stuck on a lot of stuff I love and want to listen to, but try to keep in touch with newer and emerging stuff.  But I only scratch the surface still. In relatively recent years, for example, Confidence Man, Working Men's Club, the aforementioned Kneecap and, best of all for me in a good while, Fontaines DC have caught my ear.

5 hours ago, SPW said:

I loved the Woodsies set. I had liked them for a while but seeing them live brought out the satire a bit more I thought. The sniffer dogs are shite was particularly good. Understand some being uncomfortable. I am of Irish descent so get much of it, and but my Irish wife is not keen on them at all. But they were terrific imo and the album is really, really good.  They've certainly had a big summer. 

Their film was absolutely fantastic, fantastic cast, great story, excellent soundtrack (their songs obviously but plenty of others too).  It starts off very funny but as the story progresses it really ramps up the drama but also has a lot of heart too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clarkete said:

Their film was absolutely fantastic, fantastic cast, great story, excellent soundtrack (their songs obviously but plenty of others too).  It starts off very funny but as the story progresses it really ramps up the drama but also has a lot of heart too.

I really enjoyed it too. Was a lot of fun. Not at all what I was expecting. But then again I'm not sure what I was expecting

Saw the film last night. Thought they'd cast an actor for DJ Provai until I got to the end - amazing job by him, and everyone else. Saw the writer/director years ago doing a talk on his time writing for the Daily Star, so really didn't know what to expect. Probably one of the best pop biopic vehicles going.

29 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I really enjoyed it too. Was a lot of fun. Not at all what I was expecting. But then again I'm not sure what I was expecting

11 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Saw the film last night. Thought they'd cast an actor for DJ Provai until I got to the end - amazing job by him, and everyone else. Saw the writer/director years ago doing a talk on his time writing for the Daily Star, so really didn't know what to expect. Probably one of the best pop biopic vehicles going.

Aye, I think I was expecting some concert footage with maybe a bit of other stuff around that. 

Right from the first 5 minutes when they set their stall out and you think "wtf?", then as it shows them as lads having fun. 

Even the way they include the language and creatively use the subtitles, or sometimes convey being on drugs is brilliant. 

Not only is it Ireland's submission to the Oscars, but it was the first Irish language film shown at Sundance 😊