Kneecap

CaledonianGonzo

On 8/19/2024 at 3:28 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Have ran out of upvotes.

Thank you for that explanation. 400 albums in a one'er!!  That's ' get out of here' territory, that is. Have I got the time scale right - that's over an album a day, isn't it? That, or anywhere near it, is devotion to music. 

I have a very limited repertoire of musical knowledge - gained by barely listening to anything new myself, and only picking up new ( to me ) stuff when someone around me plays some unknown to me music. My wife expanded my musical knowledge by about a billion percent though. It's through her that I finally 'understand' music. I can see that getting into it could become a passion.

Shame, I'm a whore for upvotes. Yeah it was over an album a day. I work from home Thursday/Friday, so on Fridays I'd usually get 5 or 6 listened to. Worst one was listening to Mac DeMarco's 'One Wayne G' which was nearly 9 hours I think. I won't lie, in some ways, it was a detriment, but I found so many artists and genres that I never would have loved otherwise. Gabriels and HMLTD off the top of my head. I just love that there is so much variety and everyone is having their own experience with it. 

18 hours ago, SPW said:

I can relate to that. Some albums take a few listens to fully appreciate, for me. I spend a lot of time playing records but still find it hard listening to what I have and then listening to new stuff!  As an oldish git in my 50s am stuck on a lot of stuff I love and want to listen to, but try to keep in touch with newer and emerging stuff.  But I only scratch the surface still. In relatively recent years, for example, Confidence Man, Working Men's Club, the aforementioned Kneecap and, best of all for me in a good while, Fontaines DC have caught my ear.

Those four are amazing new artists. Give Nature of Language, Teleman, Overmono and Fcukers a listen if you fancy. 

19 hours ago, Badlands said:

How often do you listen to each one on average?

I listen to a fraction that I once did and I really struggle to connect to an album immediately - it always takes a few to gauge my thoughts. I could  listen to a 100 in 8 months and barely have an opinion on a lot of them.

Every single one was a full listen. I kept a running scoreboard of where I ranked them, so I knew what I enjoyed and could go back to. A lot had several listens. Anything I didn't was a one-and-done. But there are several albums still in my rotation this year. Creeper, Gabriels, Polaris, Lottery Winners, Romy, Young Fathers, Slow Readers Club, 100 gecs, Beach Fossils, Fireworks, Iggy Pop and god knows how many more were artists I never would have given time to. Now any time a new single is out I'm buzzing. I think it's worth putting a lot of time and effort into one year's worth of releases so you know where you stand and what you like, and then go from there without a leash or rules. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

I think it's worth putting a lot of time and effort into one year's worth of releases so you know where you stand and what you like, and then go from there without a leash or rules. 

Yep, absolutely relate! 2020-2022 when working from home predominantly, I did a similar thing to you. Maybe not quite up to 400 albums a year but certainly 200+

The last 18 months or so, I've been pretty terrible at exploring new things, life's got busier etc etc...but those couple of years of being obsessed with new releases means there's so  many more artists on my radar for whatever next release they have on the way. 

Edited by PDAD
  • Upvote 1

Enjoyed the film. I like Kneecap but the whole "we pull beautiful women and are on a bender!" stuff got a bit tired after a while.

Still - nice to see them doing well. I'm gonna echo the comments on here - they were genuinely really good actors.

34 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Enjoyed the film. I like Kneecap but the whole "we pull beautiful women and are on a bender!" stuff got a bit tired after a while.

Wasn't that just one of them with the women and before long it became a woman? 

The on a bender thing I think is pretty much a story woven around what happened to them - which of course was historically a source of tension with various groups.

4 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

Shame, I'm a whore for upvotes. Yeah it was over an album a day. I work from home Thursday/Friday, so on Fridays I'd usually get 5 or 6 listened to. Worst one was listening to Mac DeMarco's 'One Wayne G' which was nearly 9 hours I think. I won't lie, in some ways, it was a detriment, but I found so many artists and genres that I never would have loved otherwise. Gabriels and HMLTD off the top of my head. I just love that there is so much variety and everyone is having their own experience with it. 

My upvote 'thing' works again. I bet you're happy now!

Thank you for that reply. I have made a note to look into Gabriels and HMLTD. I am wondering though - what was your record 'consumption' like before the 'Glorious 400@?  - annually speaking?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My upvote 'thing' works again. I bet you're happy now!

Thank you for that reply. I have made a note to look into Gabriels and HMLTD. I am wondering though - what was your record 'consumption' like before the 'Glorious 400@?  - annually speaking?

As a teen and through my early 20s (I turned 30 last year) I would probably listen to 100+ albums a year. Then I became a dad in late 2019, then Covid hit, then I moved into my first house and everything just got away from me. So I thought I'd have to force myself into the habit and to learn new things. Worth it imo.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

As a teen and through my early 20s (I turned 30 last year) I would probably listen to 100+ albums a year. Then I became a dad in late 2019, then Covid hit, then I moved into my first house and everything just got away from me. So I thought I'd have to force myself into the habit and to learn new things. Worth it imo.

I listened to Gabriels track 'Love and Hate in a Different Time (Live on Later)' and liked it. Will try another track later. I also listened to HMLTD's  Wyrmlands, but it's not my cup of tea. Each to their own.

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2024 at 10:12 AM, Gejonimo said:

I'd be very interested in your tracks of the year so far (or last few years) - top 10s?  I'm sure loads of others here would enjoy that too.  In December I usually have a good wade through all the best tracks lists published by various sources.  I find the descriptions of the tracks in the Resident Advisor list, are often better than the tracks themselves.. At present, my Spotify Wrapped for 2024 is going to show VERY high play numbers for Starburster by Fontaines DC, and Birds of a Feather by Billie Eilish.

Back on topic, I'm behind the curve on Kneecap but it sounds like my kind of thing.  Have they done an 8 Mile type movie in which they play versions of themselves?  I also didn't know countries can submit a film to the Oscars?  Is that a Thing?  Or PR Bullshit??

5 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Back on topic, I'm behind the curve on Kneecap but it sounds like my kind of thing.  Have they done an 8 Mile type movie in which they play versions of themselves?  I also didn't know countries can submit a film to the Oscars?  Is that a Thing?  Or PR Bullshit??

Yes it's an autobiographical (loosely) origin story film in which they play themselves.  And yes there is an international category at the Oscars and each participating country nominates a film from their own country.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 2:32 PM, Johndenis said:

I'd be very interested in your tracks of the year so far (or last few years) - top 10s?  I'm sure loads of others here would enjoy that too.  In December I usually have a good wade through all the best tracks lists published by various sources.  I find the descriptions of the tracks in the Resident Advisor list, are often better than the tracks themselves.. At present, my Spotify Wrapped for 2024 is going to show VERY high play numbers for Starburster by Fontaines DC, and Birds of a Feather by Billie Eilish.

I struggle with singular songs, especially this year. 

Favourite tracks off the top of my head, and I'll definitely be forgetting some, and will also keep it as varied as possible, from the last couple years are

Dancer - IDLES

Punk's Dead - Soft Play

Sugarushhh - Overmono

Rhino Ket - Kneecap

Nightmare - Polaris

Take Me Back To Eden - Sleep Token

Blame Brett - The Beaches

How Did It Used To Be So Easy? - Fireworks

Cry To Heaven - Creeper

Love And Hate In A Different Time - Gabriels

Welcome To My Island - Caroline Polachek

Modernise - Slow Readers Club

War - Story of the Year

Wonderful Times - Teleman

Beautiful People - Jessie Ware

30 Under 13 - Better Lovers

Bluish - Chris Farren

Dreams (On The Strip) - Flamingods

Hopefully that does you, and nearly all of them are good representations of their albums, so if you like any then give the album a go 🙂

• Like 1

@Gejonimo Loving that list and nice to see someone else enjoying Teleman.  Punk's dead is probably my favourite track of the year so far and that Soft Play album is solid, they blew me away at Glastonbury and along with Lambrini girls have influenced a lot of my listening since.

Have you given the Big Special album a spin yet?  I reckon it'll be right up your street.

20 minutes ago, Spindles said:

@Gejonimo Loving that list and nice to see someone else enjoying Teleman.  Punk's dead is probably my favourite track of the year so far and that Soft Play album is solid, they blew me away at Glastonbury and along with Lambrini girls have influenced a lot of my listening since.

Have you given the Big Special album a spin yet?  I reckon it'll be right up your street.

Teleman's album was quality, could have picked any song off there. 

I haven't will chuck it on for the drive home, ta 🙂

• Upvote 1