Your perfomance of the week

EFC1996

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

We even found amazing non D&B late night options. Deluxe Diner in the Saturday early hours was immense, as was HMS Sweet Charity this morning.

Couple of my mates went for the first time and said the Rocket Lounge was also amazing this year. 

I somehow managed to swerve pretty much all drum and bass this year. 

Saw a bit (intentionally) on Thursday but other than that, nada. 

So many great performances this year, I think Dua just pips Romy, both were amazing but I loved all the big production and choreo for Dua and being on the catwalk barrier to get so close was bloody amazing.  The crowd at Romy was unreal though, felt like a very special set. 

13 hours ago, Pipine said:

So many great performances this year, I think Dua just pips Romy, both were amazing but I loved all the big production and choreo for Dua and being on the catwalk barrier to get so close was bloody amazing.  The crowd at Romy was unreal though, felt like a very special set. 

Agreed re Romy, one of the best crowds of the weekend. 

The multiple extended cheers she was getting post song clearly took her by surprise. 

A great moment. 

• Upvote 1

So many gigs would have been the best of the weekend in any other year, really had some great luck with choices and the crowds I was amongst (I love you all, you were wonderful, you made my weekend).  

Bob Vylan tops it for the energy, it was immense, I managed to get on the barrier for it and I came out energised and feeling amazing.

Close runners up:

Soft Play (Immense fun, just so much fun)

The National

Lambrini girls (the source of my first tears of overflowing joy of the festival)

Jungle

Paul Heaton

Little Simz

James

I have really struggled to rank these, but in the end:

1. Confidence Man - I knew they would be great, but they surpassed expectations.  Loved them so much that I just bought tickets for their November tour.
2. Coldplay - I've learned to love them, and they obviously love Glastonbury to bits. A wonderful headliner.
3. James - one of my favourite bands, always glad to see them.
4. The Last Dinner Party - superb, musically and visually. Love all the audiences members (of various genders) who dressed up in long floaty dresses as a tribute!
5. Big Special - thanks to folks on here who recommended them, damn they were good.
6. Fatboy Slim on Arcadia - somehow I've never managed to catch him at Glasto. Loved him on the Dragonfly, and he seemed to be having the best time too!
7. Grace Petrie - wonderful rabble-rousing folk, had a tear in my eye at the end.
8. The Manfreds - unforgettable songs and the guys still have wonderful voices.
9. The K's - Great energy, great tunes.
10. Don Letts - lovely chilled set at The Glade dome.

Honourable mention to Cirque Du Vulgar in the Circus Big Top on Thursday - hilarious and smutty, with some jawdropping stunts 😁

A couple of standouts for me, neither of them mentioned so far. I was really looking forward to Stornoway at the Acoustic Tent and they were indeed great, so much so that I took my sister (who'd missed that one) to see them at the Crow's Nest a little later. From where I was standing, looking across the stage and out of the open sides of the tent over the farm, as a perfect day ticked into evening and the light turned soft and creamy and golden, that was half an hour of perfection. They ended with a Zorbing that everyone there responded to with just pure joy, a special moment.

But if the question is not favourite moment but best performance, of those I saw that probably goes to the Lottery Winners at Leftfield. I decided to go at the last minute because I happened to be nearby (having just seen Jordan Rakei on West Holts, also superb) with a bit of time on my hands, and barely knew anything by or about them. They were just extraordinary. Thom Rylance is hilarious and magnificent. Talk about eating out of the palm of his hand, within a couple of minutes he had everyone present chomping off his sweaty skin. That was 40 minutes of the funnest fun.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

Idles 

Most mental set I've ever seen in my life award goes to Fat white Family at woodsies. Was like watching a total mental breakdown to music. Haven't looked if it's on iplayer yet but trust me it's something else!

FWF was my set of the weekend. Absolutely outstanding, very entertaining and the songs just sounded brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Love all the positivity on this thread. Far too much negativity on some of the other threads for my liking.

I was only watching from home but I saw amazing performances from Idles, The National, James, The Breeders, Alvvays, Soccer Mommy, Mary Wallopers & Paul Heaton. Plus some other very good performances from the likes of NewDad, Lankum, Sleaford Mods, Steel Pulse and Orbital. Still got a few to watch that I missed. 

15 hours ago, nikkic said:

One of the best Glastos I’ve ever been to, musically it was just top tier stuff pretty much throughout. 

Barry Can’t Swim

The Streets

Sugbabes

Con Man

Coldplay 
Disclosure 

Justice 

Romy

Haai b2b Ki Ki 

Joy Orbison
Ross From Friends 

Bloc Party

Avril

Every single one of these mother f**kers brought their A game. 

Tonne of overlap with me here...

From this list... Barry, Justice, Romy (really pleasantly surprised) Bloc Party, Avril were real stand-outs.

LCD Soundsystem was something else. Personally, my favourite thing I saw all weekend. 

Gossip was very f**king fun – Beth Ditto is on another planet as a frontwoman, Standing in the Way Of Control is still just an all-time song, and the crowd were super into everything going on. Loved it.

Only real disappointment for me was Last Dinner Party. Just nothing going on there.

Couldn't get a ticket this year but consoled myself that the line up was poor. I was totally wrong, even watching on iplayer there was some amazing stuff. Soft Play, Streets, James, Janelle Monae, PJ Harvey, Yard Act., Little SImz. Only saw part of NewDad, Steel Pulse ,Romy, Burma Boy but all looked great. Lots more to watch. 

28 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's standard post festival. Mix of folk who didn't go or folk on the comedown after a long difficult Monday journey home

It’s the moaning mid festival that astounds me. 

Some dudes are at the best festival in the world and they wanna come on here and moan because they have to queue for the toilet. 

Baffling. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

If the mix for Janelle was better, she’d win hands down. She was a victim of poor scheduling and deserved a much bigger crowd than she got, but goddamn she’s a force of nature. She brought it on every level and the pit was loving it. 

I know the bass was enormous, but for me that enhanced it rather than sullied it.