Your perfomance of the week

EFC1996

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I know the bass was enormous, but for me that enhanced it rather than sullied it.

Where were you positioned? Down front, all you could hear was the bass (and I mean the vibrations) and her voice. When she referenced the funkiest horn section, I’d forgotten there was a horn section at all. 

Just now, kalifire said:

Where were you positioned? Down front, all you could hear was the bass (and I mean the vibrations) and her voice. When she referenced the funkiest horn section, I’d forgotten there was a horn section at all. 

Very close to the centre front of the pit. We were in anyway for Shania and strolled forward after the exodus. Maybe my ears were just goosed anyway after 4 nights in the SE corner.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Very close to the centre front of the pit. We were in anyway for Shania and strolled forward after the exodus. Maybe my ears were just goosed anyway after 4 nights in the SE corner.

Quite possible it was mine that were goosed. Either way, what a performer, eh?

The Idles was set of the weekend for me - so many emotions, Flynn being a beautiful kid really got me. I had high hopes and they didn't disappoint.

Coldplay - perfect for the Pyramid field. They're so vanilla but it just works. So many happy people and I never tire of hearing Yellow. Bringing out Michael J Fox - such an awesome thing to do, it was emotional....

Brittany Howard - just wow. One of the best jazz/soul sets that I've seen at West Holts. Gotta say, WH deliver every year without fail.

Eva Lazarus at the Glade. Seven and a half months pregnant and still rocking it.

Stacked lineup for me this year, with a lot in Woodsies. Probably at the expense of exploring the site, but cant complain. Difficult to narrow down but top 3 were probably:

Coldplay

Alvvays

The National

Also particularly enjoyed Kasabian, NewDad, Vlure and Faithless.

Fontaines were very good but was frustrating not to be closer (due to watching Faithless) as the sound was pretty poor for the first few songs further back and not much atmosphere.  LCD also excellent but didn’t bother getting a good position as I barely know any of their stuff. Will definitely be investigating their back catalogue. 

Edited by Lubic

Aurora on the park stage, mesmerising energetic performance 

Squeeze, Seasick Steve and Paul Heaton on the pyramid

Henge in the glade, absolutely batshit crazy
Baby Queen in the Avalon

coldplay, just a great show

and on the last night when we usually go for a wander we ended up at the Acoustic and a truly wonderful performance by Judy Collins. 85 years old and her voice as pure as ever. Great anecdotes about artists such as Dylan and life in the Greenwich village in 60s NewYork. Audience was in awe as she sang.  

Genuinely didn't see a single act that disappointed me all weekend. Really enjoyed last year but this year was even better. From Kenya Grace as the first act I saw through The National to close, before a two hour wander around the SE Corner (after a snack break), it was all just bloody brilliant. If you ask me for my favourite it will probably change depending on my mood at the time.

• Like 1

Like GordonMG, there was nothing that particularly disappointed and there was lots I missed because of clashes.  Despite the lazy headlines re headliners (excuse the pun) it was a very strong line-up right across.

My highlight was LCD Soundsystem - a big fan anyway but that was perfect vocally, musically and the buzz in the crowd as the sun was setting.  One of the best sets I've ever seen (and I am an oldish git).  Still buzzing and feel very blessed to have been there (and quite near the front). 

Fontaines D.C. at Park was also very special as were Paul Heaton, James and Alvvays.  Other stuff I thought was particularly good were Kneecap (had Woodsies bouncing at 1130), Squeeze and Keane.  PJ Harvey took a 2 or 3 songs but I grew into that set. 

Not surprised CM feature in others' list - they clashed with something else and I have seen them before and am going again later in the year so sacrificed that set.  

Edited by SPW
typo
  • Like 1

Can't fully decide as every act was brilliant but I loved:

Thursday 

Frank Turner at Strummerville 

Vlure and Lambrini Girls at Peace

Friday 

Angie McMahon at the Acoustic 

Squid at West Holts 

Paul Heaton at the Pyramid 

Sprints at Leftfield 

Fontaines DC at the Park

Saturday 

High Vis at Woodsies 

The Last Dinner Party at the Other

Manfred's at the Acoustic 

Coldplay at the Pyramid 

Sunday 

Soft Play and James at the Other 

The run of Pillow Queens, Will Varley, Lottery Winners and the Farm (stood just behind and to the right of the legend Crazyfool) at Leftfield and then to top it off the National.

I know it's a lot! 😂 

My highlights - 

Bloc Party - sounded amazing and played the hits, crowd really went with it too. A nostalgia act but still feel and sound fresh. 

The National - Have fell behind with them in recent years but loved everything about this set. Matt running into the crowd right where in was standing was a proper rush and the band sound so tight and really create a wall of noise that just gets people moving. 

Peggy Gou -  such a joy and even though her bringing out Ellis Bextor for MOTDF was a different speed for the set it was good vibes with a lot of space thanks to Coldplay taking the majority of the site.

LCD Soundsystem- not to get too heavy but my dad died a few months ago and he always wanted to go to Glastonbury but never had the chance. Hearing this song about growing up and old as the sun was setting set me off massively. My favourite moment of the whole weekend.

Olivia Dean - a lovely way to kick things off for me on the Friday. Vibing with a beer to her was an undoubted highlight and she sounded incredible 

Edited by VicAtreides
  • Like 2

Absolute vintage year for me so many highlights. From chatting to all my friends as well it seems there were barely any dud sets and even those that didn’t quite hit the heights seem to have been technical issues rather than any artists phoning it in. 

Thursday highlights 

Arxx

His Lordship 

Flash Bang Brass

Friday Highlights 

Bombay Bicycle Club

Lulu

Sprints

Saturday Highlights 

Kneecap

Lankum

Little Simz

Jessie Ware

Sunday Highlights 

Newdad

Pillow Queens

Bob Vylan

22 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

I thought that was a bad spot for LCD but it sounds like it was amazing. Wish I was there.

2016 set was my favourite Glasto set ever. 

Yes, I think we all wondered that but it worked absolutely perfectly, thanks in part to a setting sun for the latter part of the set and a crowd who seemed, on the TV, to be really up for it as well which made it even more special. Incredible set, have watched it back several times since, the best of the weekend imo. Goes down as an absolute classic for me