Your perfomance of the week

EFC1996

For something completely different, challenging, and superb visually, I really enjoyed Voice of Baceprot and Otoboke Beaver.

Other than than, I absolutely loved Lankum (Despite them barely touching False Lankum), Brittany Howard, and Coldplay had us all spontaneously hugging each other.

On further reflection, these were my highlights of a fantastic festival (no particular order).

1. The Streets - such an awesome party vibe, Mike Skinner for PM!

2. Moonchild Sanelly (Greenpeace stage Thursday) - we stumbled on her performance whilst getting a drink, what a talent

3. Das Brass (Peace stage Thursday) - just so much fun
4. Confidence Man
5. Kneecap
6. Dua Lipa
7. Bloc Party - was expecting a new material heavy set but this was full of the hits

8. Louis Dunford - was there for one song (The Angel - COYG!), left a huge fan

9. Coldplay - see Bloc Party but with bright colours and fireworks
10. Kurupt FM - Finally made it to see them after failing the last 4 festivals, great show

Considering the negativity regarding the lineup beforehand, I think I had one of my favourite festivals. Everyone nailed their performances and I generally didn't see anything disappointing (we left after 3 songs of Cyndi Lauper though).

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Watching Simbi back. A classic set.

We were near the sound desk and there was a few Simbi guests watching in there. I called one of them over at the end to tell them they had to let her know that she smashed it but I think by their smiles and her smile they already knew that. Was incredible to witness it. A couple behind me who were clearly there for Coldplay said wow she's a bit good and I felt a swell of pride. That's my girl.

18 hours ago, Fingerbobs said:

Black Pumas were great. Cracking jump off the stage (I'm sure it was further than he thought!), red arrows guest spot and those on stage Glasto emotions got hold of him at the very end. Can gloss over the call to want to get to know 'Scotland' better from one of the accompanying singers!

Being Scottish our group were pissing ourselves. So random - But set of the weekend for me!

Quite a few highlights:
Voice of Baceprot - started Friday with a bang, obvious that they enjoyed playing there.
Cam Cole in Small World, seeing his wizard crowd surf and getting a pit going in there was a challenge, but they managed it until some poor soul did his knee in
Paul Heaton, bringing on Norman to play bass
Skindred at Avalon - Newport Helicopters were flying
Baxter Dury - my first time seeing him.  As strange a performance as I expected.
Coldplay's shows always exceed my expectations, same this time
Dexys at the Park
The Manfreds.  Paul Jones doesn't age does he?
Toby Lee

Edited by Steveyett

7 hours ago, -TLR- said:

by a long, long way - Keane.

they were f**king fantastic.

TBF I keep thinking that this was probably my favourite set.  Them or Black Pumas.  If Keane had swapped out Sovereign Light Cafe for Spiralling, it would have been perfect.

On 7/2/2024 at 12:58 PM, Looother said:

But if the question is not favourite moment but best performance, of those I saw that probably goes to the Lottery Winners at Leftfield. I decided to go at the last minute because I happened to be nearby (having just seen Jordan Rakei on West Holts, also superb) with a bit of time on my hands, and barely knew anything by or about them. They were just extraordinary. Thom Rylance is hilarious and magnificent. Talk about eating out of the palm of his hand, within a couple of minutes he had everyone present chomping off his sweaty skin. That was 40 minutes of the funnest fun.

Lottery Winners are by far my favourite band since seeing them at Glasto last year. I really, really hope they get a slot on a televised stage next year. Always so entertaining. Thom Rylance is such a legend, loved his crowd surfing antics, he's just hilarious and his lyrics really connect with people.The rest of the band are ace too. They work bloody hard, always touring, gaining new fans along the way and truly deserve much much more success. 

• Like 2

Other than Lottery Winners, there were so many stand out sets over the weekend. Keane was a great nostalgic one as I saw them at my first Glasto in 2005, Justice was such a good party as was Jessie Ware, Confidence Man, Haai b2b with Ki/Ki, Barry Can't Swim, loved Shania. One of the best years definitely 

Everyone I managed to see were just excellent bar none.

Thursday:

Frank Turner

Jonathan Pie

Friday: 

Billy Bragg

Idles

Saturday:

Yard Act

Coldplay

Sunday:

Bob Vylan - Leftfield

Basil Brush

Bob Vylan - Truth/Peace

Was working in Acoustic Field 11am-7pm so got to hear most of the acts there during that time. Stand outs being Fun Lovin' Crime Writers, Albert Lee, The Manfreds, Toby Lee (really good), and Song Writers Arc (also brilliant).

Winner by a mile is Bob Vylan, the Truth/Peace stage just giving it the edge over the Leftfield gig. What a venue. Like being in a movie.

And Yard Act are surely going places.

• Upvote 1

I'm not Coldplay's biggest fan but the production on that set was phenomenal. We were in the top field of the pyramid and the view was incredible. It's a shame they didn't play violet hill properly other than the tease.

We nearly didn't go and see Myles Smith but he was probably the moment of the weekend. Dan Smith from Bastille came out and did Pompeii with him. Then he played stargazing. Then the red arrows flew over!!! It was tears in the eyes final 15 minutes of the set.

LCD Soundsystem as others have said was such a cool set in the sun/sunset. Bit of a shame they didn't play more tracks, I'd have like to have heard "you wanted a hit" among others but it was still really good.

Fat Dog. If you know, you know.

Jamie XX was good but too busy.

Special shout out to the gateway stage again, fantastic little stage and the stand out this year was Mellowmatic, brilliant live hip hoppy/bass music.

Skatalites were great in the sun too.

And has nobody mentioned the Zutons?! Zuton Fever to start and end the set!!! Their new tracks sounded really good too.

Edited by dcsessions

2 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Under-appreciated set, this IMO.

Loved the history of their time at Glasto between songs too, just felt like a special, unique, fun set.

They were great. But they didn’t play Semicircle Song, so I deducted 2 marks for that egregious oversight.