The good and the bad…

Keithy

Just now, dotdash79 said:

Yea they could have had a staff member telling people towards the back that gate D would be quicker.

I was lucky and was in the 5th row of gate A when I arrived but was shuffled down to the 3rd row and was in by 8:20 so it was moving.

No one was telling us anything.....I did notice at one point that no one was joining the queue but no one was leaving it either so just guessed D was still as bad  (until I heard otherwise)

One of the best Glastonburys I've been to. Had a really fun time, saw loads of great stuff and performances. Also apart from one morning and the car-to-camp on Wednesday I didn't suffer too much at all.

The Good

Probably the best year for seeing so many good / great performances

Enough to lots of space at stages for nearly every act I went to see (also see The Bad).

Rimski's Yard - good fun and a bit strange. Nice to escape the crowd madness of a lot of other late night places. Found this place by accident in 2022.

Glasto Latino

The weather.

Woodsie's was nice

The Arcadia dragonfly

Lonely Hearts Club evolution

Tipi field fire area

The Bad

Mostly cheesy / crap nostaglia acts drawing massive crowds. I'm not sure people even genuinley enjoy these things or just go for the sake of going. Cut down and prevent the massive crowds which are proving a bit unmanageble.

Can't comment on the SEC as I didn't go at all as it's not for me, but don't basically announce or have massive acts in small venues. 

Glastonbury on Sea - still not sure it's worth the hassle and cost. I went for a 10 minute walkaround between acts on the Park on Sunday. Take the helter Skelter back to Avalon and give it some identitiy back. It feels on it's way out and will end up being swallowed by yet another dance area 🙄

The woodchip everywhere was unneccesary but easy to say in hindsight. They got a bit trigger-happy putting all that down in advance.

Not much bad for me really as the crowd thing didn't personally affect me really except trying to leave Greenpeace after Lynks, but must have been annoying / worrying to be caught up in if you were.

The Good!

The weather!

The bands! As echoed above, didn't see any bad sets. Maybe one underwhelming set, two that were fine, and the rest were absolutely cracking.

The food! Mainly because of the thread on here recommending options, and the app allowing me to find them, every meal I had was great (barring some chips in Silver Hayes en route back to the tent one night. But can't quibble about a single portion of chips!).

The Bad!

I couldn't get the until Thursday evening. Boo!

The See coaches back home. It was all a bit chaos. The 11:30 to Leeds was called bang on time, then we eventually got on the bus at 13:10. So instead of chilling on the grass we were all crushed forward at the front of the queue for ages. Then they decided to change the gate so trying to get a couple hundred people to pass through the other existing queues became bedlam. By the sounds of it multiple coaches were up to 3 hours late. It's not ideal when you have to wait for hours and there's no food available. The festival do seem to give up a bit on a Monday morning, whether that's getting cars out the car park or emptying the toilets.

The destruction of peaceful or more chilled areas in favour of banging noise. The sad demise of Avalon has already been mentioned. It used to be a place I loved to chill during the day, and the Avalon Cafe (no longer there) was always a firm favourite to head to after hours for a knees-up to a fun band. Further to this; the Tiny Tea Tent is unbearable now with Greenpeace banging out repetitive dance music at unbearable levels next door. Some of my favourite Glasto memories are of sitting in the TTT and chatting nonsense to strangers until 4am - often with punters putting on an impromptu performance on the piano and getting the tent singing along! Never saw anyone playing the piano this year because even the pianist wouldn't be able to hear it. Couldn't talk to my girlfriend in there let alone spark up a conversation with strangers.

Edited by Fearless_Fish
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

The destruction of peaceful or more chilled areas in favour of banging noise. The sad demise of Avalon has already been mentioned. It used to be a place I loved to chill during the day, and the Avalon Cafe (no longer there) was always a firm favourite to head to after hours for a knees-up to a fun band. Further to this; the Tiny Tea Tent is unbearable now with Greenpeace banging out repetitive dance music at unbearable levels next door. Some of my favourite Glasto memories are of sitting in the TTT and chatting nonsense to strangers until 4am - often with punters putting on an impromptu performance on the piano and getting the tent singing along! Never saw anyone playing the piano this year because even the pianist wouldn't be able to hear it. Couldn't talk to my girlfriend in there let alone spark up a conversation with strangers.

I was stood with a mate of mine the ribbon tower on the Sunday night whilst he was waiting for his girlfriend and we were pretty much shouting at each other as Stonebridge was pumping so loud (to virtually no one i may add)...ended up having to move further away! 😄 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Suprefan said:

still some things that should be sacred. And yeah, they could sell them instead and people would buy it. Theres so many revenue makers they just dont even consider with specialized items. We lost paper schedules at Coachella this year, that was a bummer. I just print out set times. Easier than a mobile.

I still print out clashfinder but no doubt it makes a saving for them and reduces paper waste now having no guide. Look at the size of the program now too - same forces at work.

On 7/3/2024 at 10:48 AM, The Nal said:

I think it was more for the trucks etc during the setup. Ground was still fairly soft in the build up. 

Whole site had tractor wheel marks imbedded into the ground. 

Some of the ground around the SE corner was bouncy as it sometimes gets when the mud is drying in a wet year. So you could be right 

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

I still print out clashfinder but no doubt it makes a saving for them and reduces paper waste now having no guide. Look at the size of the program now too - same forces at work.

I think that it’s more to do with the single use plastic wallet than savings or recycling 

The Good 

The music - Not an abundance of star names and a fair few repeat bookings (as is normal) but there was so much great music filled with acts pulling out the stops.

The crowd - I found the atmosphere euphoric at times. It was consistently the best atmosphere I have been in.

The food - the prices are competitive and you could find plenty of good value and decent portions. 

The company I was with - my group were great. Loads of laughs and good conversations, looking out for eachother and others. My mate had never been and loved every second of it, saying it was the best weekend, another friend had been once before but has no real memories of her time before as she spent most of it wasted, but this time had an amazing time.

Bad

The ridiculous long journey from cars in E9 car park gate C. I think I might set up a luggage carrying service from there, much worse than getting to B from the car.

The requirement to have wristband plus ticket to get back out. 

The people doing ket and/or coke - felt obliged to look after a bunch of lads after they had blatantly took too much a little bit before, gave all my water to a girl who couldn't stand up on the stuff, and a guy fell over right in front of me, which I helped to get back on his feet before falling over again, at which point I left him sat up right against a bin with a Fanta. He couldn't even say a word. It's alright having a good time but it spoils the fun for them and their friends who then have to look after them. 

The loud talkers - I said the crowd were excellent and they were for the most part but god those people are insufferable!

Men pissing on the land next to urinals - terrible around dance areas but also spotted it at the Other Stage. The strange thing is it was mostly lads in their late teens/ early twenties, who should be able to hold it better. 

My favourite time at Glastonbury.

• Like 1

How do you people do a big festival in the UK (where the weather is changeable) without a decent bag like a rucksack? I'm not hiking back to the tent to pick up a jacket and it's useful to put a bottle, suncream etc in it. 

In big crowds I just put it up between my feet so it stays out of the way.

8 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

No one was telling us anything.....I did notice at one point that no one was joining the queue but no one was leaving it either so just guessed D was still as bad  (until I heard otherwise)

We've had this 3 years in a row now. Aiming for Gate D, get diverted to Gate A. Friends arrive 2 hours later get into gate D and enter site 2 hours before us. I'm convinced it's because the coaches get priority when they start arriving, but when we made the gate, the stewards organising the entry were appalling. Just letting the coach arrivals enter all the queues and the car people confined to the end two. Lots of people were struggling in the heat with all their kit. I had to sit in the shade for 2 hours when we got in and couldn't even help put the tents up! 

Next year if they shut D, my plan is to wait at the junction until they reopen it again. 

1 hour ago, ourkid1984 said:

How do you people do a big festival in the UK (where the weather is changeable) without a decent bag like a rucksack? I'm not hiking back to the tent to pick up a jacket and it's useful to put a bottle, suncream etc in it. 

I only ever use the free Glastonbury bags. Has my drinks in, a top if I need one and suncream. It hurts the shoulder a bit so encourages you to drink quicker but they do the job. Though a rucksack makes more sense. Not sure why I’ve never taken one. 

11 hours ago, ourkid1984 said:

20 years of going now and never had a "day bag" apart from the Guardian rope bags a couple of times years ago.

2 bottles in the side pockets of my shorts, one with wine and one with water, but not always water as theres taps everwhere for a quick drink, a hipflask, phone and wallet in pockets, jumper around the waist.

The day bag crowds are the worst. One of these losers spilled my drink this year turning around. I was genuinely bewildered by the amount of sh*t he mustve had in the bag.

On 7/3/2024 at 4:29 PM, dulcificum said:

Hilarious that you think those on ketamine can't behave normally. If you think it turns people into a zombie you obviously haven't taken it or don't know anyone with a clue.

Oh yeah?!!

14 hours ago, ourkid1984 said:

The people doing ket and/or coke - felt obliged to look after a bunch of lads after they had blatantly took too much a little bit before, gave all my water to a girl who couldn't stand up on the stuff, and a guy fell over right in front of me, which I helped to get back on his feet before falling over again, at which point I left him sat up right against a bin with a Fanta. He couldn't even say a word. It's alright having a good time but it spoils the fun for them and their friends who then have to look after them. 

Sassy Weave GIF by WE tv

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Chip Batch said:

One of the best Glastonburys I've been to. Had a really fun time, saw loads of great stuff and performances. Also apart from one morning and the car-to-camp on Wednesday I didn't suffer too much at all.

The Good

Probably the best year for seeing so many good / great performances

Enough to lots of space at stages for nearly every act I went to see (also see The Bad).

Rimski's Yard - good fun and a bit strange. Nice to escape the crowd madness of a lot of other late night places. Found this place by accident in 2022.

Glasto Latino

The weather.

Woodsie's was nice

The Arcadia dragonfly

Lonely Hearts Club evolution

Tipi field fire area

The Bad

Mostly cheesy / crap nostaglia acts drawing massive crowds. I'm not sure people even genuinley enjoy these things or just go for the sake of going. Cut down and prevent the massive crowds which are proving a bit unmanageble.

Can't comment on the SEC as I didn't go at all as it's not for me, but don't basically announce or have massive acts in small venues. 

Glastonbury on Sea - still not sure it's worth the hassle and cost. I went for a 10 minute walkaround between acts on the Park on Sunday. Take the helter Skelter back to Avalon and give it some identitiy back. It feels on it's way out and will end up being swallowed by yet another dance area 🙄

The woodchip everywhere was unneccesary but easy to say in hindsight. They got a bit trigger-happy putting all that down in advance.

Not much bad for me really as the crowd thing didn't personally affect me really except trying to leave Greenpeace after Lynks, but must have been annoying / worrying to be caught up in if you were.

Great post. Yes Glasto Latino is my late night venue now. Great fun and great exercise. Lonely Hearts excellent too. Kojaque was one of my highlights there. 

13 hours ago, ourkid1984 said:

I’ve got a pretty small shoulder bag which I manage to shoehorn a Glastonbury water bottle, rolled up jacket, phone, small bottle of suncream and toilet roll into .. it’s only just big enough but I hate being weighed down by loads of stuff.  The jacket is shower proof and acts as a warmer layer in the evening.  Travelling light ftw!

• Upvote 1

We have this bag chat every year and it always boils down to some people have different needs than others. We have a biggish bag just because there is no way we are going back to the campsite once we are out out and so it contains clothes for all weathers, snacks, water bottles, meds, hats, toilet paper...and yeah then granted more Mary Poppins type sh*t like a collapsible stool.