Legends Slot 2025

FestiHead

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

With the exception of One More Time by Daft Punk, there's not another song that would go off more on The Pyramid than Africa. 

Also Toto as pretty top tier live! That, Hold the Line, Rosanna and maybe I won't hold you back would be rad. They usually drop a cheeky cover in too.

On 7/16/2024 at 11:52 AM, Gnomicide said:

I almost with the fecking Spice Girls would do it, just to stop them banging on about it.

Almost.

Well, not at all really. Besides, INABS.

I bet you would find yourself in the crowd loving it. And hate yourself a wee bit afterwards. 

Seriously though, if they're going to book them it does have to be on the Pyramid and so why not the legend!

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We know what sort of crowd Billy Idol would draw at the G based on the crowd he drew last year on the Other.

Ah not entirely sure that's the same thing. I'm sure there were people who had no idea what Generation Sex was or who was involved - but who would have gone along if they did. I'm sure of that because I'm one of them.

8 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

I bet you would find yourself in the crowd loving it. And hate yourself a wee bit afterwards. 

Seriously though, if they're going to book them it does have to be on the Pyramid and so why not the legend!

I'm willing to take you up on that bet 😄

37 minutes ago, incident said:

Ah not entirely sure that's the same thing. I'm sure there were people who had no idea what Generation Sex was or who was involved - but who would have gone along if they did. I'm sure of that because I'm one of them.

Yeah, I wasn't really being serious. Not a ginormo-crowd for the sneering songster tho

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

With the exception of One More Time by Daft Punk, there's not another song that would go off more on The Pyramid than Africa. 

Totally! Would be one of the biggest karaoke singalongs on the farm of all time. 

If they changed Af-ri-ca to Glas-ton-bree for at least one of the choruses as well, the place would go NUTS

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 1

Toto would be awesome.  Hold The Line is one of my top 10 all time favourites.  Cracking tune.

I've said it many times before on here but Annie L/Eurythmics would be an all timer.  Probably even "Heritage" headliner material IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that Barry Manilow has a classic GSH at present, one Vegas residency running til June 21, and then re-starting up in September - so basically then he's right up for a Glastonbury legend slot and is in fact already curating a setlist to keep everyone happy. well, in theory. 

31 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Just noticed that Barry Manilow has a classic GSH at present, one Vegas residency running til June 21, and then re-starting up in September - so basically then he's right up for a Glastonbury legend slot and is in fact already curating a setlist to keep everyone happy. well, in theory. 

Avalon headliner sorted then 😉

On 7/18/2024 at 11:50 AM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Toto are touring this summer in Europe. Rumours there's another tour in Europe next year too.

Would love to see them on the Farm. Maybe too obscure for the Legend Slot?

INABS

On 7/18/2024 at 1:23 PM, nikkic said:

Take on Me...

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Take on Me...

Gotta disagree there. Certainly a tune, but have you been in WG at Guilty Pleasures when they played Africa? It would be up there with when Lionel Richie played Hello

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, CanWeRest said:

Are Spice Girls a shoe in in the next 5 years or so? Mel C seems to love the festival.

Kind of feel like Mel C really really really wants the Pyramid aghhhhh. 

But the others maybe not so keen. Recon it's a money thing. 

It would be amazing if there had not been talks at some point 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Kind of feel like Mel C really really really wants the Pyramid aghhhhh. 

But the others maybe not so keen. Recon it's a money thing. 

It would be amazing if there had not been talks at some point 

I've got my fingers crossed for them. I feel like they'd be immense in that slot!

5 hours ago, Superscally said:

Take on Me...

My first post COVID live event was Latitude. So my first post COVID live band was the New York Brass Band on the Thursday evening. It was such a release for everyone and their version of Take on Me with everyone singing along was a genuinely wonderful moment. And very silly. But wonderful.

5 hours ago, Quark said:

Gotta disagree there. Certainly a tune, but have you been in WG at Guilty Pleasures when they played Africa? It would be up there with when Lionel Richie played Hello

As much as I agree and would love to see Toto play the legend slot, apart from the Big 3 of Africa, Hold The Line, and Rosanna, they would struggle to hold the attention of a legend slot crowd for a 75 minute set. 

The slot has become such a massive part of Glasto folklore over the last decade or so, only an hour of well known, sing-along bangers, with 15 mins grace for filler, will do. 

Take ELO as a prime example. Arguably on paper it was a set filled with far more well known tunes, but coupled with Jeff Lynne's lack of banter and treating it like any other gig (along with energy levels in the crowd being particularly depleted due to the mud that year) it fell flat. 

Toto playing 3rd on the bill like Robert Plant, Motorhead, and ZZ Top would be the most natural fit. 

7 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

As much as I agree and would love to see Toto play the legend slot, apart from the Big 3 of Africa, Hold The Line, and Rosanna, they would struggle to hold the attention of a legend slot crowd for a 75 minute set. 

The slot has become such a massive part of Glasto folklore over the last decade or so, only an hour of well known, sing-along bangers, with 15 mins grace for filler, will do. 

Take ELO as a prime example. Arguably on paper it was a set filled with far more well known tunes, but coupled with Jeff Lynne's lack of banter and treating it like any other gig (along with energy levels in the crowd being particularly depleted due to the mud that year) it fell flat. 

Toto playing 3rd on the bill like Robert Plant, Motorhead, and ZZ Top would be the most natural fit. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing for Toto in the slot. Just the question of how much Africa would get a crowd pop!

9 hours ago, Superscally said:

So would Take on Me

Solid, well-structured counter argument. 10/10, no notes 😉