Legends Slot 2025

FestiHead

18 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

whataboutery. We're talking about Clapton. and not only is he a colossal and unrepentant racist, he's also a maker of dreadfully boring music, and a stealer of Beatle wives.

0.5/10, and that's just for the bit at the end of Layla, which he's probably nothing to do with. 

Indeed, the idea that in the current climate any festival, but especially this one, would want to give their best platform to someone who famously eulogised Powell is extraordinary. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

whataboutery. We're talking about Clapton. and not only is he a colossal and unrepentant racist, he's also a maker of dreadfully boring music, and a stealer of Beatle wives.

0.5/10, and that's just for the bit at the end of Layla, which he's probably nothing to do with. 

I missed the bit when Clapton is a racist in 2024

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

I missed the bit when Clapton is a racist in 2024

On that proviso then, Rose West hasnt killed anyone in yonks either, lets get her working in the kids field 

14 hours ago, maelzoid said:

The same Will Smith who has never played a full length gig in his entire career…? 

Don’t get yr hopes up…

It was a joke.

Based on yer man putting him on his list of potentials. 

14 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

On that proviso then, Rose West hasnt killed anyone in yonks either, lets get her working in the kids field 

Westlife!

Clapton hasnt killed anyone, to my knowledge. 

A suicidal smackhead alco talking absolute sh*t 50 years ago (that he has addressed since numerous times) shouldnt rule him out of playing some Chicago blues for an hour at a music festival in 2025.

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Westlife!

A suicidal smackhead alco talking absolute sh*t 50 years ago (that he has addressed since numerous times) shouldnt rule him out of playing some Chicago blues for an hour at a music festival in 2025.

I think it should rule him out, but then thats primarily cos ive always found his music unutterably boring. The racism is an almost equally attractive stick to beat him with, though. 

And besides, if we didnt disagree on things, then what the bloody hell would be the point of a forum?  

20 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I think it should rule him out, but then thats primarily cos ive always found his music unutterably boring. The racism is an almost equally attractive stick to beat him with, though. 

And besides, if we didnt disagree on things, then what the bloody hell would be the point of a forum?  

Agree about disagreeing. But there are very few masters like him left. Hes an incredible talent.

But yeah lets face it, Wonderful Tonight is far more insulting and tastless than his racist outburst was. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Agree about disagreeing. But there are very few masters like him left. Hes an incredible talent.

But yeah lets face it, Wonderful Tonight is far more insulting and tastless than his racist outburst was. 

Tears in heaven is an absolute crock of bollocks as well. dreadful, mawkish nonsense on a par with My heart will go on or Don't wanna miss a thing. Crimes. Crimes against ears! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Plenty have been incinerated to his music though. 

His utterly dull funeral music.

• Upvote 1

I went to see Clapton and Elton John at Wembley, back when I was a mere schoolboy. Memory's a little hazy, but the lasting impression was that every Clapton song contained a wildly unnecessary 25-minute guitar solo. You just couldn't stop the bloke. I've always had an immense dislike of (almost all) guitar solos, and I think he's probably to blame.

Let it Grow's a nice tune though.

45 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I have an absolute hatred of that song. One summer in Majorca a band played that every night, finishing their set at  2am,  in a bar just below our room. Not only a sh*t song but also the band we’re awful. Mrs c has threatened to play it at my funeral when she’s in a mood with me. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I have an absolute hatred of that song. One summer in Majorca a band played that every night, finishing their set at  2am,  in a bar just below our room. Not only a sh*t song but also the band we’re awful. Mrs c has threatened to play it at my funeral when she’s in a mood with me. 

I doff my cap to such a threat 😊

13 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The Clapton thing always comes up. It didn't stop Glasto booking Cat Stevens who had once (soberly) put his weight behind the global fatwa (and then later rolled back years later) that Salman Rushdie should die for writing a fictional book.

I just find it very odd that a festival which started off the back of a blues festival and used to call itself "pop, blues and folk" hasnt had some of the best people of the genres to play. When some of them live down the road. 

Eric Clapton, John Mayall, Jeff Beck, Dave Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Brian May, Alvin Lee, Hank Marvin, Peter Frampton......

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Not long ago my friend was going on about a documentary he'd seen about the murderer "John West". True if you include tuna, I suppose.

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

I doff my cap to such a threat 😊

Especially if she told everyone it was his favourite song and he used to play it on repeat. I so respect this hustle that I may well steal it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

I just find it very odd that a festival which started off the back of a blues festival and used to call itself "pop, blues and folk" hasnt had some of the best people of the genres to play. When some of them live down the road. 

Eric Clapton, John Mayall, Jeff Beck, Dave Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Brian May, Alvin Lee, Hank Marvin, Peter Frampton......

Err Mayall died last month at the age of 90, sure you know why May hasn't. 

How many of these are actually playing - do you know? 

Just now, clarkete said:

Err Mayall died last month at the age of 90, sure you know why May hasn't. 

How many of these are actually playing - do you know? 

Beck died last year. 

Cmon eh. Do your own research. 

6 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The Clapton thing always comes up. It didn't stop Glasto booking Cat Stevens who had once (soberly) put his weight behind the global fatwa (and then later rolled back years later) that Salman Rushdie should die for writing a fictional book.

Fair point, and Glasto has also been hypocritical in other ways, like booking GNR despite all the allegations against Axl Rose. That said, Clapton is a much easier target for negative press, partially also due to his covid vaccine skepticism. There's no way that the festival could put a positive spin on that.