Legends Slot 2025

FestiHead

50 minutes ago, The Nal said:

They've all been touring/were before they died for decades. 

Ah it's everyone else's fault that you suggested a bunch of people who won't play, don't play or are dead? 

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Ah it's everyone else's fault that you suggested a bunch of people who won't play, don't play or are dead? 

None of them were available from 1970 until 2024? Or until a couple of them died recently. 

It's a valid criticism. Biggest British music festival has never had some of the greatest British musicians on the bill.

Not saying it's all Glastos fault. No doubt most of those people were asked. 

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

About time the slot was binned anyway 

yeah, nobody likes it.  The field is always empty during the legend slot so maybe they should change it up 😬😂

8 hours ago, The Nal said:

I just find it very odd that a festival which started off the back of a blues festival and used to call itself "pop, blues and folk" hasnt had some of the best people of the genres to play. When some of them live down the road. 

Eric Clapton, John Mayall, Jeff Beck, Dave Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Brian May, Alvin Lee, Hank Marvin, Peter Frampton......

Anybody who doesn't understand what @The Nal is saying here is being deliberately awkward. I'm sure he knew that some of them were 'no longer touring'.

Stop picking fights where there isn't a fight to be picked 

1 hour ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Fair point, and Glasto has also been hypocritical in other ways, like booking GNR despite all the allegations against Axl Rose. That said, Clapton is a much easier target for negative press, partially also due to his covid vaccine skepticism. There's no way that the festival could put a positive spin on that.

I mean if you look hard enough there's plenty of skeletons in artists' histories. David Bowie and his Nazi/fascism comments, Steven Tyler and his weird grooming thing - admitting to "crimes of passion" in his memoir (I know he never played but plenty of people wanted him), U2 and their tax evasion. All surely go against the "ethos" of Glastonbury, albeit to varying degrees of seriousness.

Would Glastonbury even have to put a positive spin on the vaccine scepticism? I doubt anyone would give a crap come one sunny day in June. A lot of people are trying to forget the pandemic and count it as a distant memory, and even then there's a good percentage of people who were sceptical about it but still took the vaccine and those who were sceptical and didn't take it. 

For me there must be some kind of statute of limitations of these things, especially if they've confronted it and rolled it back - in the case of Y/CS, and completely apologised and regretted it - as EC has done.

It's obviously different if there's an ongoing or very recent allegation, like Slowthai, when he was removed in 2023 from the line-up pending his court case.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Good point

Maybe we should have Elton headline every year. 

dont get why you are whinging about the Pyramid so much when you state you are barely ever there ..... Pyramid is an amazing place to watch live music in my opinion and headliners there are pretty special .  other parts of the site also good . Elton absolutely smashed it as the biggest ever audience at the pyramid will show .  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Pyramid is an amazing place to watch live music in my opinion

I agree as long as you’re in “the pit”,  it’s just rare for there  to be anyone I like heading. 

3 hours ago, km9 said:

Anybody who doesn't understand what @The Nal is saying here is being deliberately awkward. I'm sure he knew that some of them were 'no longer touring'.

Stop picking fights where there isn't a fight to be picked 

The thread is Legends 2025. 

If anyone suggests 9 names of whom 3 are dead, 1 won't play and at least 1 is retired then regardless of what you think I'm afraid I'm gonna point it out. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, clarkete said:

If anyone suggests 9 names of whom 3 are dead, 1 won't play and at least 1 is retired then regardless of what you think I'm afraid I'm gonna point it out. 

I think the hill you're dying on is not particularly the right one 

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

He clearly wasn't suggesting they play next year though, was he? Well it was clear to me, it was a comment that the festival hasn't booked any of them over the years.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

dont get why you are whinging about the Pyramid so much when you state you are barely ever there ..... Pyramid is an amazing place to watch live music in my opinion and headliners there are pretty special .  other parts of the site also good . Elton absolutely smashed it as the biggest ever audience at the pyramid will show .  

Skip doesn't like old duffers.  

77 year old Elton was too old but 77 years old Kraftwerk members will make him go to the Pyramid. 

21 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I mean if you look hard enough there's plenty of skeletons in artists' histories. David Bowie and his Nazi/fascism comments, Steven Tyler and his weird grooming thing - admitting to "crimes of passion" in his memoir (I know he never played but plenty of people wanted him), U2 and their tax evasion. All surely go against the "ethos" of Glastonbury, albeit to varying degrees of seriousness.

Would Glastonbury even have to put a positive spin on the vaccine scepticism? I doubt anyone would give a crap come one sunny day in June. A lot of people are trying to forget the pandemic and count it as a distant memory, and even then there's a good percentage of people who were sceptical about it but still took the vaccine and those who were sceptical and didn't take it. 

For me there must be some kind of statute of limitations of these things, especially if they've confronted it and rolled it back - in the case of Y/CS, and completely apologised and regretted it - as EC has done.

It's obviously different if there's an ongoing or very recent allegation, like Slowthai, when he was removed in 2023 from the line-up pending his court case.

Wasn't the U2 thing in fact tax avoidance? Which is what The Rolling Stones do on a regular basis. Not the same as tax evasion. 

I get that Glasto has an element that is likely big into alternative medicine, as noted on the Healing Fields. But Clapton got enough negative media publicity from the anti-vax stuff a few years ago, which also brought his racist past back into public consciousness. So it would be easy to bring all that up again if he gets booked. Also, he admitted to raping one of his wives in the past, I imagine people will dig that up as well: https://x.com/snigskitchen/status/1394620322624704514

Statute of limitations is really just a legal thing, and doesn't really affect public opinion and guilt-by-association, for better or worse. Hell, Glasto got rid of the John Peel Stage name, which I bet was due to all the statutory rape stuff with minors (despite what they publicly say). So clearly they do care somewhat about stuff from the past.

Also, I actually expected more media attention on Cat Stevens' islam fundamentalism, especially given that Salmon Rushdie was actually nearly murdered a year before he played as the Glasto Legend. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Doesn't mean the masses of attendees end up liking it. Shania certainly didn't deliver.

I wasn’t at shania as I was working but that’s still no reason to cancel something  that they uniquely do so well.