Legends Slot 2025

FestiHead

3 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

But they can book names like Shania in the afternoon without calling it the Legend, as somebody here already suggested as well.

I dont see how.  At the minute its a much bigger deal than just an average '4th down, mid-afternoon' slot

1 minute ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

They got names like Katy Perry, Janet Jackson, and Miley Cyrus for daytime Pyramid slots without calling them the Legend.

Yeah....all contemporary pop stars.

More or less.  I'll give you that Janet J sort of falls between two stools.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And all big names that could have likely gotten a bigger bag elsewhere, but for some reason were okay with those timeslots and for whatever compensation Glasto provided them with.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Janet J remains the worst act I’ve ever seen on that stage.

Just now, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

And all big names that could have likely gotten a bigger bag elsewhere, but for some reason were okay with those timeslots and for whatever compensation Glasto provided them with.

That reason would be BBC coverage. 

1 minute ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Sure.  And long may it continue. I'm happy with the world where we get the Mileys and the Katy Perrys alongside the Dolly Partons and Lionel Richies.

32 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Wasn't the U2 thing in fact tax avoidance? Which is what The Rolling Stones do on a regular basis. Not the same as tax evasion.

Basically yes. In short, they registered one of their companies outside of Ireland (but still inside the EU rather than a full blownv tax haven) to benefit from a lower rate or some incentive. So miles short of what other acts have done and still do. It only became an issue because people don't like Bono.

It was very noticeable that the following festival those same people didn't have a problem with the Stones headlining.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Missed it for Lizzo - but on paper at least still a very good booking. Nothing of that calibre this year.

Avril is of that calibre, especially in terms of crowd popularity  

14 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

But they can book names like Shania in the afternoon without calling it the Legend, as somebody here already suggested as well.

They won't get half these acts if they do not call it a legend slot -  If its not the 4th headliner as they keep calling then - a lot of these acts will have to be booked as one of the three headliners - Its to massage the performers ego as much as anything.  

Here you go here is your headliner slot at Glastonbury.....  actually putting them in a mid afternoon slot 

15 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Wasn't the U2 thing in fact tax avoidance? Which is what The Rolling Stones do on a regular basis. Not the same as tax evasion. 

I get that Glasto has an element that is likely big into alternative medicine, as noted on the Healing Fields. But Clapton got enough negative media publicity from the anti-vax stuff a few years ago, which also brought his racist past back into public consciousness. So it would be easy to bring all that up again if he gets booked. Also, he admitted to raping one of his wives in the past, I imagine people will dig that up as well: https://x.com/snigskitchen/status/1394620322624704514

Statute of limitations is really just a legal thing, and doesn't really affect public opinion and guilt-by-association, for better or worse. Hell, Glasto got rid of the John Peel Stage name, which I bet was due to all the statutory rape stuff with minors (despite what they publicly say). So clearly they do care somewhat about stuff from the past.

Also, I actually expected more media attention on Cat Stevens' islam fundamentalism, especially given that Salmon Rushdie was actually nearly murdered a year before he played as the Glasto Legend. 

All really good points. I didn't actually thought evasion and avoidance were one and the same, so something new learnt!

I hadn't even thought about the alternative medicine element of the Healing Fields, so maybe Clapton would be more at home than I thought, lol. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2024 at 12:40 AM, maelzoid said:

The same Will Smith who has never played a full length gig in his entire career…? 

Don’t get yr hopes up…

how do you find will smith in the snow? 

look for the fresh prints!!!!!!

• Downvote 1

23 hours ago, incident said:

Basically yes. In short, they registered one of their companies outside of Ireland (but still inside the EU rather than a full blownv tax haven) to benefit from a lower rate or some incentive. So miles short of what other acts have done and still do. It only became an issue because people don't like Bono.

It was very noticeable that the following festival those same people didn't have a problem with the Stones headlining.

This. 

They also don't spend much time in Ireland either as most have their families elsewhere in the world. 

I found the whole hatred a bit pathetic TBH. 

• Upvote 1

It's because of the perceived hypocrisy. Noone went after the Stones because they're not turning up to every rent-a-cause to lecture everyone and hanging out with Bill Clinton and so on. You can accuse Keith Richards of many things, but he's not White Messiah coded the way Bono is.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's because of the perceived hypocrisy. Noone went after the Stones because they're not turning up to every rent-a-cause to lecture everyone and hanging out with Bill Clinton and so on. You can accuse Keith Richards of many things, but he's not White Messiah coded the way Bono is.

Bono just prefers to give his money to other causes than the Irish government. I'm cool with that.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Bono just prefers to give his money to other causes than the Irish government. I'm cool with that.

This. I'm comfortable with the fact he gives a lot more to charity than most. 

Also the infamous hand shake with Bush meant an agreement to give billions to charity. His hanging out with Bill Gates etc has also had a huge impact on charities. He will be well aware some will hate him for this but he thinks it's for the greater good.

I'm very OK with that. 

Anyway back on topic. I'm still keen for Bryan Adams (runs for cover). 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

This. I'm comfortable with the fact he gives a lot more to charity than most. 

Also the infamous hand shake with Bush meant an agreement to give billions to charity. His hanging out with Bill Gates etc has also had a huge impact on charities. He will be well aware some will hate him for this but he thinks it's for the greater good.

I'm very OK with that. 

Anyway back on topic. I'm still keen for Bryan Adams (runs for cover). 

I've heard a few stories where they came across as sound and really like Jason Byrne's one...

Edited by clarkete