Fitness for Glastonbury 2025

gigpusher

18 minutes ago, LoraMaze said:

I found any standing concerts to be a nightmare in my 20s, my lower back would immediately start complaining and I’d have to keep bending forward to counteract it. I’m now in my 30s and don’t seem to have that issue anymore because I make sure I do core exercises every day as a bare minimum! It definitely helps! 

I'll keep at it then! I had to do the bending forward thing and my girlfriend said it looked like I was trying to do a big pump

After training for a swim safari holiday this year and starting running 2-3x a week (plus existing weight training I already did) I went this year the fittest I've ever been. Man, did it pay off. Couple of hip niggles but nothing else to write home about. 

Re feet, I swear by new balance trainers half a size up from usual with Scholl gel activ insoles added. I did 260,000 steps and the only foot pain to really speak of was the blisters. Did have a bit of swelling on Mon but that's gone now. 

Back in the pool this evening and haven't lost any pace despite having a general viral illness. Feeling really chuffed. Next goal is to be a bit lighter next year. 

1 hour ago, LoraMaze said:

I found any standing concerts to be a nightmare in my 20s, my lower back would immediately start complaining and I’d have to keep bending forward to counteract it. I’m now in my 30s and don’t seem to have that issue anymore because I make sure I do core exercises every day as a bare minimum! It definitely helps! 

What kind of core exercises do you do? I was struggling a bit with lower back pain.

Also saw a few acts who got the crowd to get low, and found I can get down ok but I'm never getting back up again 🤣 Think I need to work on that for next year 

17 minutes ago, Simsy said:

What kind of core exercises do you do? I was struggling a bit with lower back pain.

Also saw a few acts who got the crowd to get low, and found I can get down ok but I'm never getting back up again 🤣 Think I need to work on that for next year 

I basically do as many variations on planks as possible, and throw in a few Pilates like of movements too. As long as I do at least 5 mins a day I’ve found a lot of my back troubles have been solved! 

• Upvote 1

I'm 51 now and struggled a bit with leg and back pain. Need to shift some weight by eating healthier and get out walking a lot more. This weekend gave me a bit of a wake up call that I'm not getting any younger 

• 2 months later...

How are people getting on with fitness, those who got fit for this year are you still keeping it up. 

Those who are looking to get fitter for next year, have you started?

I’ve managed to keep it up and lose an another half a stone which isn’t bad as I’ve had a few events and breaks. I have to say the recovery from the festival this year was a lot easier. 

Complete mare as far as I’m going tbh think I’ve gained 12k in a year or so . Just get home from work and plonk myself on sofa . The weight gain I think has been mostly through unnecessary eating ( to deal with low blood sugars ) that I’ve no wish to be actually doing but it is entirely necessary . I’ve just been put on the wait list for an insulin pump which should lower the frequency of the low sugars but that is likely over a year away as the nhs can’t fund one this year because of money sadly . Type 1 diabetes is a ballache at times 😞 

25 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

How are people getting on with fitness, those who got fit for this year are you still keeping it up. 

Those who are looking to get fitter for next year, have you started?

I’ve managed to keep it up and lose an another half a stone which isn’t bad as I’ve had a few events and breaks. I have to say the recovery from the festival this year was a lot easier. 

I'll start tomorrow.

Or maybe after ticket day...

I’ve signed up to Joe Wicks body coach app while it’s been on offer to help me with my motivation and diet.  

I just wasn’t feeling motivated and have spent the summer taking it very easy other than my weekly cycle into the office.  So I’m about 5kg over my natural weight and my core strength is the worst it’s ever been. 

Hopefully the structure and inspiration provided by the app will get me on the right path.   On about week 3 atm but was poorly with a flu type thing last week so I feel like I’m starting again this week. 

I’ve always reckoned the best way to build up fitness for the festival is by regular brisk walking. After all that’s exactly what you’ll be doing for the five days at the festival. Get out in the fresh air, prepared for all weathers. It’s good for both the physical and mental health.
The only problem I suppose is if your work or home circumstances leaves you with little time to participate. 

I’d agree, I love walking, I just don’t have time atm with two young kids and a full time job.  I struggle to fit in 4 x 30min workouts a week. 

I do also need to be doing strength based stuff now I’m older for lots of reasons. But walking in the mountains would be my go to exercise if I had all the time in the world. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pipine said:

I’d agree, I love walking, I just don’t have time atm with two young kids and a full time job.  I struggle to fit in 4 x 30min workouts a week. 

I do also need to be doing strength based stuff now I’m older for lots of reasons. But walking in the mountains would be my go to exercise if I had all the time in the world. 

Totally understand that. I well remember the life with work and kids! Now we’re retired we can easily do eight miles a day and when the weather is ok I take to the hills. It’s as much for mental health as the physical benefits. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pipine said:

I've actually started doing weights! 😂 They're super light dumb bells, but I do feel better for it actually.

Broke my ankle back end of July and waiting on MRI results before I'm allowed to start training again, so bit worried about building that up again. But I'm mid 30s so hoping it shouldn't take too long to come back. I've cotinued my upper body strength training but cardio is really hard when you can't use your legs! 

However, it's forced me to work on my diet (as otherwise I knew I'd pile weight on) and have lost a stone so far. Have another 3 to 5 stone to lose though. 

1 hour ago, Talcroft said:

Broke my ankle back end of July and waiting on MRI results before I'm allowed to start training again, so bit worried about building that up again. But I'm mid 30s so hoping it shouldn't take too long to come back. I've cotinued my upper body strength training but cardio is really hard when you can't use your legs! 

However, it's forced me to work on my diet (as otherwise I knew I'd pile weight on) and have lost a stone so far. Have another 3 to 5 stone to lose though. 

Ah no, that is a nasty recovery! But sounds like you have the best mindset, well done on the diet!

I've had zero motivation for a long time now 😴 I'm trying though... two workouts this week.

To build on what someone else in here said about walking/terrain/rucksacks. I wasn't the fittest I've ever been for a Glasto this year, HOWEVER, I carried the tiniest little bag around with me this time. It's definitely what made a difference and my feet hurt the least ever this year even though I'd probably done the most steps ever. So yeh...if you're someone who's going to be carrying around a bloody great rucksack then definitely make sure you're practising walking with the weight on your back. That well could be the difference. (Or just pack lighter!)

Had a minor flare up of the situation that kept me from going to Glastonbury this year, but it's very minor and pretty much sorted.

I'm desperate to get back up some fells. Still got another 81 Wainwrights to tick off. Been going a bit stir crazy. 

In good news, even without the exercise I've pretty much maintained my weight. Put a bit on, but nothing alarming. And my last diabetes check up was still OK. And the bit of hiking I did before things flared up again showed that my fitness hadn't totally dropped off a cliff like I was expecting. Will still take a while to get back to where I was but it's not going to be the full on effort I thought it might be. And will be a hell of a lot easier than it was getting there in the first place (not having to lose 5.5 stone for a start)

7 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Had a minor flare up of the situation that kept me from going to Glastonbury this year, but it's very minor and pretty much sorted.

I'm desperate to get back up some fells. Still got another 81 Wainwrights to tick off. Been going a bit stir crazy. 

In good news, even without the exercise I've pretty much maintained my weight. Put a bit on, but nothing alarming. And my last diabetes check up was still OK. And the bit of hiking I did before things flared up again showed that my fitness hadn't totally dropped off a cliff like I was expecting. Will still take a while to get back to where I was but it's not going to be the full on effort I thought it might be. And will be a hell of a lot easier than it was getting there in the first place (not having to lose 5.5 stone for a start)

Should be getting quieter now. Ideal time to start ticking those Wainwrights off.🙂

3 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Should be getting quieter now. Ideal time to start ticking those Wainwrights off.🙂

I moved out of the Lake District a few months ago (only to Northumberland, so not too far, especially for the northern fells) so the shorter days don't help. And I really do need to wait for the all clear before I can get back to some big fell days. Doing too much too soon is what caused the flare up.

I mean they aren't going anywhere are they? And I'm hoping to move back soonish. It really was a privilege not having to plan too much, just looking at the weather in the morning and thinking 'I'll go climb these ones today'. Often not even having to drive.

I see you're in Kendal. Do you get out in the fells much?

13 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I moved out of the Lake District a few months ago (only to Northumberland, so not too far, especially for the northern fells) so the shorter days don't help. And I really do need to wait for the all clear before I can get back to some big fell days. Doing too much too soon is what caused the flare up.

I mean they aren't going anywhere are they? And I'm hoping to move back soonish. It really was a privilege not having to plan too much, just looking at the weather in the morning and thinking 'I'll go climb these ones today'. Often not even having to drive.

I see you're in Kendal. Do you get out in the fells much?

Too much too soon is the cause of so many lapses and permanent injuries to be honest so definitely wait until you get the all clear. As you say, they aren't going anywhere.😁

I don't get out as much as I would like to really and certainly not for the last couple of years as I currently work out of the country for 8 months a year. When I do get out it's usually in the autumn or winter as I prefer the quieter fells personally although the popular ones are busy year round these days. My favourite one is the Langdales from Dungeon Ghyll up to Stickle Tarn and round the 5 peaks up there followed by an occasional scramble down when I'm feeling energetic. And of course an obligatory pint of Wainwrights in the hotel afterwards. Bliss.

4 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Too much too soon is the cause of so many lapses and permanent injuries to be honest so definitely wait until you get the all clear. As you say, they aren't going anywhere.😁

I don't get out as much as I would like to really and certainly not for the last couple of years as I currently work out of the country for 8 months a year. When I do get out it's usually in the autumn or winter as I prefer the quieter fells personally although the popular ones are busy year round these days. My favourite one is the Langdales from Dungeon Ghyll up to Stickle Tarn and round the 5 peaks up there followed by an occasional scramble down when I'm feeling energetic. And of course an obligatory pint of Wainwrights in the hotel afterwards. Bliss.

That's a classic for a reason. Don't really love the climb up to Stickle Tarn, it's just a bit of a slog,  but once you're up there wandering around the Langdale Pikes is ace.

I only really started in earnest last year, despite living in the Lakes for 10 years. I'd do a few easy ones semi regularly but nothing major. But as mentioned in earlier fitness threads, until I lost weight and got fitter I just simply couldn't do the bigger and tougher days. And I was always a bit dismissive of Wainwright baggers. Although that may have been a defence mechanism. But then once I got the bug, deciding to do them all really gave me a push, got me out of my comfort zone (Nethermost and Dollywagon Pikes in deep snow and a whiteout was memorable) and exploring areas of the Lakes I'd never ventured to before.

7 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

That's a classic for a reason. Don't really love the climb up to Stickle Tarn, it's just a bit of a slog,  but once you're up there wandering around the Langdale Pikes is ace.

I only really started in earnest last year, despite living in the Lakes for 10 years. I'd do a few easy ones semi regularly but nothing major. But as mentioned in earlier fitness threads, until I lost weight and got fitter I just simply couldn't do the bigger and tougher days. And I was always a bit dismissive of Wainwright baggers. Although that may have been a defence mechanism. But then once I got the bug, deciding to do them all really gave me a push, got me out of my comfort zone (Nethermost and Dollywagon Pikes in deep snow and a whiteout was memorable) and exploring areas of the Lakes I'd never ventured to before.

Mate, I've lived in the lakes for 5 times that and you've probably done 5 times more fells than I have in your 10 years. When you live there it's easy to be dismissive of the tourists to be fair and I've never really caught the bug properly so hats off to you. I just like to get out when I feel like it which is probably only half a dozen times a year but I really should get out more. Planning on doing Scafell and The Old Man over christmas though weather permitting.

28 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Mate, I've lived in the lakes for 5 times that and you've probably done 5 times more fells than I have in your 10 years. When you live there it's easy to be dismissive of the tourists to be fair and I've never really caught the bug properly so hats off to you. I just like to get out when I feel like it which is probably only half a dozen times a year but I really should get out more. Planning on doing Scafell and The Old Man over christmas though weather permitting.

Think I'd done less than 20 in the first nine years (a few many times) and the rest between May 2023 and March 2024.

I had a cracking day when I did The Old Man (with Brim Fell and Dow Crag) but good god it was busy up there