Opinion: Glastonbury Hosts World-Class Electronic Music. The Problem Is Getting to See It.

vigo

20 hours ago, Dazric said:

Id say giving people better live information would make a huge difference. We got caught out a few times this year in areas that were just too busy to be fun (applies during the day as well as late night). If the map on the app could be updated with rough capacity % we'd have picked somewhere and headed there. Most people dont seek out a crush.

That's a good point. For the most part the people I spoke to who got caught in crushes seemed to have a more limited musical knowledge and were just going for the things they had heard of. Perhaps some updates on the day of what things are likely to be busy and suggestions of other stages with similar acts might help some of those people. I did notice a couple of notices at one point saying that The Park was a quieter part of the site for those wanting more space but yes perhaps something on the app. Maybe even something like clashfinder which shows how many people have ticked it so how likely acts are to be crazy busy.

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

If they need more late night venues, then Acoutsic is the obvious answer.  Out of the way to divide crowds, to the East of the site (away from Pilton for the noise pollution) and reasonable capacity.  Why not have it Acoustic to 11:30 and then a late night venue from 12:30am onwards with a second crew?

Isn't that right near Kidzfield and Family camping though so an unlikely candidate for music until the early hours of the morning. I'd have thought maybe utilising more of the theatre and circus field tents (I know some are already used but more for music) might be a better option

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Totally agree.  The "menu" is becoming too limited.  Few of our 30-ish group are out & out dance fans, but as there are few alternatives after midnight, they go to Shangri-La or Silver Hayes.  If there were still cheesy 80's, Guilty Pleasures, silent disco type options, they would be full and the serious dance venues would have fewer tourists.

Could not agree more.  I love Avalon.  And the Greenfields.  If they got cut to expand the late night dance areas, that would stop me attending.

3 thoughts.....

If they need more late night venues, then Acoutsic is the obvious answer.  Out of the way to divide crowds, to the East of the site (away from Pilton for the noise pollution) and reasonable capacity.  Why not have it Acoustic to 11:30 and then a late night venue from 12:30am onwards with a second crew?

Main issue is programming/scheduling.  Yes, the various areas have their own bookers and crews etc. but there needs to be some overarching joined up thinking.  It wouldn't be hard to look at the potential line up when almost fully formed, identify the hotspots where there is little competition to an act that would be a large draw and make some tweaks.

Lastly, having the entrance to SE Corner one-way through IICON solves 1 problem but creates an almost identical one.  Some thought needs to be give here as to how that whole area is accessed and exited.

Great shout on acoustic. I think the issue is that the success of the place is all-consuming. Glasto is about to go full Icarus. 

Edited by Superscally
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

That's a good point. For the most part the people I spoke to who got caught in crushes seemed to have a more limited musical knowledge and were just going for the things they had heard of. Perhaps some updates on the day of what things are likely to be busy and suggestions of other stages with similar acts might help some of those people. I did notice a couple of notices at one point saying that The Park was a quieter part of the site for those wanting more space but yes perhaps something on the app. Maybe even something like clashfinder which shows how many people have ticked it so how likely acts are to be crazy busy.

Isn't that right near Kidzfield and Family camping though so an unlikely candidate for music until the early hours of the morning. I'd have thought maybe utilising more of the theatre and circus field tents (I know some are already used but more for music) might be a better option

Silent Disco tho

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Also a great shout.

I think the unpopularity at the minute of indie/ alternative music is contributing to the bigger crowds.

Young people aren't going round the festival checking out indie music they've never heard of before. There's no NME/ music press telling you the top five hottest bands to check out or whatever. 

We have all of music pretty much at our fingertips but it means you fall into a rabbit-hole of your own tastes. Therefore there's big groups at hot, current names like Bicep and Mall Grab, then also the big nostalgia stuff from when we had a monoculture. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 8:53 PM, Johnnyseven said:

It was very busy where I was by the speakers just outside the canopy. People kept pushing through the crowd and stopping people dancing due to their dancing space being filled up with people.

We always go front right in The Glade and were there for Camelphat and had room. We left half way through though as wasn't a fan of the set

Just throwing in my experience as 50yr old first timer. I was in SE corner Fri-Sun from around midnight through to dawn and felt entirely comfortable throughout. Admired the stewarding.

IICON my main stage. Was at front for Bicep Friday, and yes the space was needed to get staffers to a medical incident. I think they controlled it supremely well. Apart from that the close quarters crowds around IICON or in Nowhere seemed fine.
i was more surprised how IICON seemed to empty from 4am onwards, where’s your stamina kids?!!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Nice hymer said:

4am is when Shangri La crowd begins to thin and accessing it becomes a little easier. Folk leave IICON and head over...

Got it. 
if there’s something even better going on there I should investigate next year. Thanks for the tip

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

But 500 people singing, "I'm blue dabadibidieeee", is still a lot quieter than a tent with a normal soundsystem, surely? 😅

But at the moment the stage doesn’t play anything so you would just be introducing a lot of noise in an area where there is currently none plus I can’t imagine that people watching films in Pilton Palais would be impressed. 

I agree that a silent disco returning would be great but just not that location. I think there are a few tents in the circus fields that might work much better. 

It raises some valid points.

Thursday needs addressing, in my opinion - in particular the evening. It's my favourite day but at night, it's becoming increasingly frustrating.

90% of punters are on site but a combination of silly booking + only certain area's having stuff on is leading to it becoming really uncomfortable. The Dance Village was an absolute shitshow. Having Bicep playing at 1.30, with security blocking Levels off from circa 9pm.. really? It was just a sea of people attempting to walk and getting nowhere.

I dunno what the answer is, but they have to revisit how Thursday is handled in my opinion.

There are always non-busy options.  We took one look at the queue for Bicep on The Levels and swung through to BBC Introducing where Jon Carter was throwing down a Live At The Social mix to a crowd on the small side of medium sized. The Glade was also fine afterwards.

Now if you're not interested in alternatives and have your heart set on a specific act that's fine, but if you're willing to make do with whatever then there's no need to ever stand in any queues.

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

But at the moment the stage doesn’t play anything so you would just be introducing a lot of noise in an area where there is currently none plus I can’t imagine that people watching films in Pilton Palais would be impressed. 

I agree that a silent disco returning would be great but just not that location. I think there are a few tents in the circus fields that might work much better. 

Oh sorry, thought the silent disco was  reference to bringing it back in general.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There are always non-busy options.  We took one look at the queue for Bicep on The Levels and swung through to BBC Introducing where Jon Carter was throwing down a Live At The Social mix to a crowd on the small side of medium sized. The Glade was also fine afterwards.

Now if you're not interested in alternatives and have your heart set on a specific act that's fine, but if you're willing to make do with whatever then there's no need to ever stand in any queues.

This is the most important thing. The site can cope with the crowds for the most part if everyone isn’t insistent on seeing the same things. We always have a long list of acts that we are happy to see and are always happy to swerve something busy to opt for something quieter. On the Thursday I tend to actively avoid any of the big names and had my best Thursday ever. Arxx, His Lordship and Flash Bang Brass being my highlights.

Glastonbury really rewards people who put a little bit of research into the line up. 

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"The festival should change its entire operation so that I, the main character, can be the only one who waltzes straight into the big names without having to plan or sacrifice anything else"

That’s definitely the energy that many people seem to give off. 

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"The festival should change its entire operation so that I, the main character, can be the only one who waltzes straight into the big names without having to plan or sacrifice anything else"

Is a bit like the people who complain about the traffic when sat in their car at rush hour