Front Security Blocking The View

Cooter

I spent a surprising amount of time at the very front barrier this year, never really been my thing before.

One very irritating thing I noticed...

the front security guards standing on the front barrier for long periods of time, blocking the view of the stage for many. Not just at the side but right in the middle too. This was at its worst for me at Bob Vylan in the Leftfield tent on Sunday afternoon. There were a constant 4 to 5 guards, looking a bit wired if I'm honest, blocking the view and looking intensely into the crowd for maybe snipers or assassin's!!

I always thought they did a good job being slightly invisible but reassuringly present. Not now it seems.

I shared the blocked view at BV, I was right in front of them but to be honest I still had a great time, yelled myself hoarse and was able to nip straight into the national crowd in about 90 seconds from darting out the left as soon as they finished.  Other gigs I was up front for it wasn't as much of an issue but those were all at woodsies, which is much more spacious between stage and barrier so it wasn't an issue at all for me there.

I get the feeling the 3 dudes in specialized shirts were parachuted in just for the BV gig in case things got too hectic.  They weren't needed but there was a lot of the festival being over-cautious all over I think, which is probably not really a bad thing.

Going back to 2009 there was a right nob on the pyramid blocking me for fleet foxes, asked him to move politely but he decided to block me more. His supervisor had to remove him from his post in the end. Bad vibes.

I can understand popping up for a look for a few seconds or if an incident is unfolding but some weird power mad security.

Thought the security were great this year in my experience.

I can understand at the big stages but at something like Leftfield it felt really off.

Not sure what their purpose was to be so on the case blocking views even if they were "parachuted" in just for Bob Vylan. Would have only taken a slight hand gesture from one guard at the side to warn their mates of an incoming crowd surfer or a mad axe murderer.

Very unprofessional in my opinion, we're paying to see the stage not an overexcited hiviz jacketed type.

And yes faymondo, I saw him when the Farm was on and yes he was loving it. The same one decided to take up position right in front of me minutes before BV so I politely asked him to move away which he kindly did.

Just to be clear, this is right in front of you...like their waist is at your eye level 6 inches away.

Edited by Cooter