Reduction of attendees vs cost of ticket

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

Would you be happy to pay £400 for a ticket to reduce capacity to 122.5k instead of 138k at the festival?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay £400 for a ticket if it meant less people on site?

7 hours ago, stuie said:

The whole show relies on people doing things for tickets.  If you remove that, you're looking at a massive ticket price increase or financial failure. 

Medical staff, doctors, bar staff, gate staff, stewards, site decorators, bands, DJ's, circus performers, street artists, bin painters, litter pickers, recycling centre ops and so on. 

The event relies on goodwill to function.  

That's still the nexus of the issue though - paying operators with tickets causes overcrowding and may even reduce numbers available for punters in the end.

27 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

That's still the nexus of the issue though - paying operators with tickets causes overcrowding and may even reduce numbers available for punters in the end.

That may be… but we have a great time! And there's something quite satisfying about the people who play a small part in making it happen enjoying the festival. 

38 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I've seen a few ppl mention QR codes for wristbands? Is that for the car parks or caravan fields or something?

I havent taken it off yet, so here’s a pic 😂IMG_1890.thumb.jpeg.a5ad985c31f5653f70353011140b3a25.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

I havent taken it off yet, so here’s a pic 😂IMG_1890.thumb.jpeg.a5ad985c31f5653f70353011140b3a25.jpeg

Looks like the QR codes they have at the Euros for volunteers as well. Guessing it's gonna be the future. 

I love the purple and silver on black as well. Were all the bands this year that colour or only the crew?

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

It's clear by the accounts of people going for a long time that the age demographic has changed to be younger than it once was but those younger people will get older and when they do I doubt they will suddenly stop going to Glastonbury, they will just go to the other areas. That is when crowding won't feel like such a thing. It's a changing of the guard, it could take 10 more years but it will happen. That obviously can't count for silly bookings at stages far too small for acts. 

I never really encountered crowds that were dangerous, although between acts at Leftfield I wandered up to the Other to witness the crowd my wife was in for Avril and it looked busy but coming from that direction I could have found a spot to see at least the screens without it being too cramped. 

Since last being there in 2019 I noticed quite an improvement in the crowd being spread more, seeing Silver Hayes and Woodsies with decent crowds was nice and being able to move in SE Corner on the Thursday was also improved compared to 2019.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Looks like the QR codes they have at the Euros for volunteers as well. Guessing it's gonna be the future. 

I love the purple and silver on black as well. Were all the bands this year that colour or only the crew?

public were green. Crew who camp inside the fence were orange. 

22 minutes ago, incident said:

Certain types of staff, so far.

Probably everyone eventually.

Interestingly, people from Love Fields had them too, which would mean they also had access to crew bars and production tracks. 

2 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

It's clear by the accounts of people going for a long time that the age demographic has changed to be younger than it once was but those younger people will get older and when they do I doubt they will suddenly stop going to Glastonbury, they will just go to the other areas. That is when crowding won't feel like such a thing. It's a changing of the guard, it could take 10 more years but it will happen. That obviously can't count for silly bookings at stages far too small for acts. 

I never really encountered crowds that were dangerous, although between acts at Leftfield I wandered up to the Other to witness the crowd my wife was in for Avril and it looked busy but coming from that direction I could have found a spot to see at least the screens without it being too cramped. 

Since last being there in 2019 I noticed quite an improvement in the crowd being spread more, seeing Silver Hayes and Woodsies with decent crowds was nice and being able to move in SE Corner on the Thursday was also improved compared to 2019.

I think the technology involved in ticket sales is partly why the shift has happened.

I can't see people chasing beats deciding they want to sit and listen to some folk in green futures in 10 years time.

I think the festival should be a youthful place. I'd be interested to see how the demographic has shifted over the last 10-15 years 

2 minutes ago, august1 said:

I think the technology involved in ticket sales is partly why the shift has happened.

I can't see people chasing beats deciding they want to sit and listen to some folk in green futures in 10 years time.

I think the festival should be a youthful place. I'd be interested to see how the demographic has shifted over the last 10-15 years 

Definitely younger and less peeps like me, but then I'm in my final years now I think of attending.

37 minutes ago, august1 said:

Just my opinion based on people I know that 10 years ago would be up for the beats etc but are now way more interested in the other side of festivals/Glastonbury. People tend to have a shift in their attitudes between say 25 and 35.

1 minute ago, ourkid1984 said:

Just my opinion based on people I know that 10 years ago would be up for the beats etc but are now way more interested in the other side of festivals/Glastonbury. People tend to have a shift in their attitudes between say 25 and 35.

Not in my personal experience. My music taste’s are more or less the same as before 

18 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Not necessarily. I didn’t have access to all production tracks or crew bars. 

Did you have an EPO? We got in all crew bars we tried… maceos, tow and hitch, fox and badger, broke Britain, loving arms, west holts. EPO also got us onto shangri la production track from the railway line, behind nowhere and peace to get to guerrilla. 

So that’s quite a lot if it’s behind handed out to paying glampers! 

1 hour ago, august1 said:

No they will be still chasing the beats in SH. 
The kids will probably be listening to folk on the other as well as Green Futures!

Its how it goes. 

21 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Not in my personal experience. My music taste’s are more or less the same as before 

I was born just in time to hit 18 when acid house arrived and parties were free, but was never a raver past 90 when for me it was all baggy and groovy downtempo beats I was after.  Mates who were ravers in the early 90s have never grown out of it, still listen to the same stuff now.  I'm more of a rock and indie kind of person, but there's a time and a place for some dance for me from those artists that had a crossover (underworld, orbital, prodigy, etc) and that's it.

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Did you have an EPO? We got in all crew bars we tried… maceos, tow and hitch, fox and badger, broke Britain, loving arms, west holts. EPO also got us onto shangri la production track from the railway line, behind nowhere and peace to get to guerrilla. 

So that’s quite a lot if it’s behind handed out to paying glampers! 

No EPO, had a band that allowed access to Shangri-La and Unfairground production track. Have always been able to access all SE corner crew bars, West Holts and Lovingly Arms on a general crew band. Apparently Tow and Hitch were being fussy during the show.

17 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Did anyone go to the Stone Circle this year?

For the first time ever I think I didn’t go….

Yes, after sidestepping Avril Lavigne. Straight up Pennards, then left to the stone circle. It was very quiet (as was Green Futures and SE Corner). A few hundred people in the whole field, no queue for loos and a family playing football.