Reduction of attendees vs cost of ticket

Would you be happy to pay £400 for a ticket to reduce capacity to 122.5k instead of 138k at the festival?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay £400 for a ticket if it meant less people on site?

Do you think punters ever email afterwards with ideas and feedback? Do they get a response? I never got tickets but I was too sick to go anyway however if I can make it next year reading all this is kind of putting me off. 

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Bread and Roses tried to charge me £150 on card for 3 drinks... I was extremely drunk (And I do mean extremely) but still clocked it... Apologies were made, benefit of the doubt given, accidents happen. 

Didn't spend a penny in cash this year (despite having some with me) as everybody was taking card without issue.

(correction, that's a lie actually, had to use cash for the Gte C lockup tip, as for some reason they didn't even have a card machine this year, after having them in previous years. Hope they didn't miss out on too many tips because of that.)

I once accidently charged someone £120 for a Calippo. 

Didn't notice until cashing up at the end of the shift and was able to work out which transaction it was so could refund it. But even having done that I still don't always check the amount before paying.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, angelin said:

Do you think punters ever email afterwards with ideas and feedback? Do they get a response? I never got tickets but I was too sick to go anyway however if I can make it next year reading all this is kind of putting me off. 

I've emailed them a few times over the years going back to 2014, but the official contact form gets you a pretty stock/politician's answer.

I'm sure they must log them in some way or another because it would be massively arrogant to regard feedback or complaints as being unimportant, and it kind of goes against their activist philosophy if they weren't empathetic to people's concerns.

Having said that, I never got the feeling they took it seriously - at least via email. Lots of "Thank you for raising that point/we'll pass it onto so-and-so".

There must have been some response though because we've seen a switch of secret sets move to bigger stages, switching acts around a little (despite this year with Avril and the Sugababes), and updating their crew passes to cut down on hangers-on from blagging tickets when they don't need them. As well as increased security around the 12-foot mega fence to keep people out. From what I've read on here Sticklich was much tighter on checking people's wristbands, for example.

I've got faith after every year they think about how to do things better. They must do.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

(correction, that's a lie actually, had to use cash for the Gte C lockup tip, as for some reason they didn't even have a card machine this year, after having them in previous years. Hope they didn't miss out on too many tips because of that.)

Taking it off-topic slightly, but does anyone have a list of which lockup is run by which group? I owe the Gate A crew a tip and can't remember who it is.

Just now, incident said:

Taking it off-topic slightly, but does anyone have a list of which lockup is run by which group? I owe the Gate A crew a tip and can't remember who it is.

I can't help you with Gate A, But I do know Gate C is Chernobyl Children.

47 minutes ago, angelin said:

As crew we get an email feedback form. My biggest gripe this year is unnecessary vehicle movement pre festival, esp after dark, when nothing should be moving 

1 hour ago, angelin said:

im sure they do but response wise I doubt it. Dont they send out surveys anyway? Or theyre this thick that they really dont consider anyones feedback. Most festivals here send out surveys cause they want the feedback but also talent suggestions for the following year.

Edited by Suprefan

On 7/3/2024 at 9:02 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I was musing this just now about the amount of people on site and reading people's comments of near accidents or crushes. Especially, the case of Bicep shocked me a little that they actually had to lower the volume mid-set and ask people to take steps backwards.

Others have said the SEC is at saturation point and becomes gridlocked. Day time sets of Barry Can't Swim and Sugababes have resulted in areas being closed off - something that used to only happen once a festival, now happens twice on the same day. Also read that Avalon has lost its sparkle a little due to sending people elsewhere...

Would you be happy to pay a bit more per person if it meant reducing the people on site by 15k people?

My working was based on the ticket price being 355 quid x 138k tickets sold = £49m generated.

You could get the same amount of money generated by charging £400 a ticket, which would lead to only 122.5k people on site. At least from paying tickets, nevermind the crew, volunteers, performers etc which I think stands at around 72k people on site.

Just a curiosity more than anything. I know Michael Eavis and Emily Eavis want to have as many people on site as possible to spread the love of the festival to the max, but what do you think?

It depends how much is "less people". 25% less? 50% less?

On 7/3/2024 at 9:57 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Sure, like someone else said, I'm sure in a couple of years it will reach that amount anyway due to inflation and costs, but based off of this year's fest and cost, would you have bought a ticket at that amount for 2024? Then just keep adding the extra money on top to maintain that price. 2026 is a fallow year I think, but then for 2027, would you then pay 450?

I would have definitely paid £400. Up to £480 most likely.

1 hour ago, incident said:

I am almost certain it was Birmingham Friends of the earth.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, BluesManP said:

It depends how much is "less people". 25% less? 50% less?

Taken directly from my original post:

My working was based on the ticket price being 355 quid x 138k tickets sold = £49m generated.

You could get the same amount of money generated by charging £400 a ticket, which would lead to only 122.5k people on site. At least from paying tickets, nevermind the crew, volunteers, performers etc which I think stands at around 72k people on site.

Just a curiosity more than anything. I know Michael Eavis and Emily Eavis want to have as many people on site as possible to spread the love of the festival to the max, but what do you think?

So, whatever 122.5k is of 138k... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

36 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

You sure? That's not one of the groups on our Website list

http://www.festivallockups.org.uk/

100%, long story but we were chatting with them about how it felt like fate that this was our lockup, since it's a cause we've supported a lot at our pub, hosting fundraising events, and also hosting the children themselves for meals and activities when they come over on respite. 

EDIT: I should add, the lockup was 'run' by one of those groups, the Isle of Wight CND to be precise, but they were raising money for Chernobyl Children. They had a big bucket for them on the right hand side of the counter, and asked us to put tips in there. 

Edited by Alvoram

I can't help you with Gate A, But I do know Gate C is Chernobyl Children.

43 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

You sure? That's not one of the groups on our Website list

http://www.festivallockups.org.uk/

Gate C is run by Isle of Wight CND.

Edited by stuie
Read the rest of the posts and saw you know who it’s run by!

Just now, stuie said:

Gate C is run by Isle of Wight CND.

Yep, beat you to it... check my edit 😉

They WERE raising money for Chernobyl Children though!!! Without a doubt, 100% fact.

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

Yep, beat you to it... check my edit 😉

They WERE raising money for Chernobyl Children though!!! Without a doubt, 100% fact.

Haha I’ve just footnoted my post 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Haha I’ve just footnoted my post 

No worries.

Actually, whilst we're on the subject, is this normal? I never gave it a second thought at the time, assumed it was just normal for the group to be supporting a 3rd party charity... Are they allowed to raise money for causes other than the CND itself? I ask you because you know the festival inside out.

Edit: Nevermind, got myself out of lazy bar steward mode and did some research, seems they work together a lot, may even be linked, but I didn't need to dig too far to see all was well. 🙂 

Edited by Alvoram

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

How come the exact figure of £480? Based on your own limit or on something else?

This is based on my own limit. Give or take a few pounds. I love Glastonbury but there are other festivals too and at some point, I would give up. £480 is the most I would be willing to pay in an alternative 2024. If the price increased, I would still go, just not every year but every other year or some longer interval

1 minute ago, BluesManP said:

This is based on my own limit. Give or take a few pounds. I love Glastonbury but there are other festivals too and at some point, I would give up. £480 is the most I would be willing to pay in an alternative 2024. If the price increased, I would still go, just not every year but every other year or some longer interval

I mean, at 480 quid you could shave off 36k people from being on site, lol.

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Taken directly from my original post:

So, whatever 122.5k is of 138k... 🤷‍♂️

I don't know if 10k less people onsite would make that big of a difference. Especially if that number was randomly distributed across all the demographics attending Glasto. So if you tell me that 5k less millennials would attend, to me, it would make a bigger difference than if you told me that 10k less boomers would attend. As I expect boomers to be mostly sitting quietly somewhere, not going to the most contemporary acts, so it would mean less morning toilet trip clashes (as they wake up much earlier) and similar

Weirdly, I was just checking the 2010 addition of Glasto and according to the official Glastonbury page, it says that 135k tickets were sold, but only 37.5k passes were issued for crew and performers...

Why the heck has the ticket number gone up by three thousand, but the crew and performers amount nearly doubled?! 37.5k in 2010 to 69k in 2024.

image.png.d9b486e1b52193ce9f578c8655c5791c.png

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I mean, at 480 quid you could shave off 36k people from being on site, lol.

Ideally, for the biggest impact, that should target millennials the most. Boomers are mostly invisible in terms of causing crowds, completely filling capacity for contemporary artists, etc.