Reduction of attendees vs cost of ticket

Would you be happy to pay £400 for a ticket to reduce capacity to 122.5k instead of 138k at the festival?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay £400 for a ticket if it meant less people on site?

Just now, gooner1990 said:

I will be sending something in as we had an absolute nightmare on arrival, worst entrance for me in 16 visits.

As a wider point I personally think they are selling too many tickets now and/or there is are people getting in en mass who shouldn't be there and its starting to hamper my enjoyment of attending.

For me the later is the priority to sort not the former . You can’t really know if the capacity is too high while people still get in en mass through other means … I don’t personally blame those that try . It’s the enablers and the system that are at fault .there were obviously some steps to cut down on this and I’d imagine that’s just the start . Thought we’d get the QR bands by now but maybe that will come after fallow now 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

For me the later is the priority to sort not the former . You can’t really know if the capacity is too high while people still get in en mass through other means … I don’t personally blame those that try . It’s the enablers and the system that are at fault .there were obviously some steps to cut down on this and I’d imagine that’s just the start . Thought we’d get the QR bands by now but maybe that will come after fallow now 

Well that's the thing, I have no proof lots of people are getting in bar the odd video I've seen online .....and how many are we don't know for sure.

All I can say is the site is feeling very cramped now (for me at least) and its going to be from either one of those things or both.

I'm sure GFL are aware of everything that's going on, and like you say if some sort of QR code thing comes in that might help things because as it stands I'm thinking of taking a year off/dipping out for a while if it continues much longer.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

The QR code is interesting as it would have to be paired with something else, otherwise there's nothing stopping these people trying to get in from just mugging people in the car park and taking the wristband. Some people would definitely do it. 

I know only 203 people voted out of thousands of people on eFests but there does seem to be a demand for reducing the capacity on site with over 83% voting for paying a bit more but having a "better" experience.

Which is odd because in 2010 it was so much easier to move around even though the number of official tickets was nearly the same as it is now.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Which is odd because in 2010 it was so much easier to move around even though the number of official tickets was nearly the same as it is now.

Cos the staff tix have gone up faster than punters tix.

On 7/9/2024 at 2:34 AM, Leyrulion said:

The QR code is interesting as it would have to be paired with something else, otherwise there's nothing stopping these people trying to get in from just mugging people in the car park and taking the wristband. Some people would definitely do it. 

theres def a 2 factor thing that could be done. I think if it was possible you had to register your band to yourself after it was put on you. It had to be via the app. And after it was registered on the app the system tied your name obviously along with photo and it would generate a new qr code which changes so you couldnt screenshot. So to EPO you have to show them all that on leaving and re entry. Thats 3 layers at the end of the day. But its a matter of executing that on this scale. And whats the percentage of people that leave the grounds anyway. Its all the glamping people only right. So 10% of capacity? Thats where you have to look at it and think of what you can do. As much as being wristbanded at the gate helps to thwart anyone faking tickets theres gotta be something else. Unless you qr code the ticket itself. Which is only tied to you and maybe your device. ( see how complex this can become?)

On 7/9/2024 at 10:34 AM, Leyrulion said:

Nothing? Well there is the getting it off their wrist? 
How many on this board are looking for ways to get it off and keep intact after the festival? We know it can be done with a carrier bag trick in most cases but  I think nicking wristbands would involve some of the lengthiest muggings in the history of muggings! 

Edited by amfy

10 hours ago, bluesmith said:

One thing I noticed as crew was my epo band could have been slipped off easily and passed on and back. Should have been impossible to do it, but I could and so could my missus. It could easily have been abused imo.

How? They have to be scanned in and out right? So you'd have to give it to someone, they'd have to get their own band scanned out, and then your band (this can be exploited if not set up right) to then get it to someone outside.

That's the handy thing with an EPO system that has you scan in and out. As long as you ensure the person that scans out leaves (and is a person) you won't get any capacity issues as it'll be one in / one out regardless. 

45 minutes ago, amfy said:

How many on this board are looking for ways to get it off and keep intact after the festival? We know it can be done with a carrier bag trick in most cases but  I think nicking wristbands would involve some of the lengthiest muggings in the history of muggings! 

There's a carrier bag trick??!

17 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

There's a carrier bag trick??!

Never done it myself but apparently you get it up inside the wristband and then slowly pull it down with the wristband kind of inside it - & then you can get it off in one piece as long as it isn’t really tight.

Not sure about getting it back on though?

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

How? They have to be scanned in and out right? So you'd have to give it to someone, they'd have to get their own band scanned out, and then your band (this can be exploited if not set up right) to then get it to someone outside.

That's the handy thing with an EPO system that has you scan in and out. As long as you ensure the person that scans out leaves (and is a person) you won't get any capacity issues as it'll be one in / one out regardless. 

You'd end up with a "legitimate" persons EPO scanned in when they're outside the festival. But as you're the actual owner of that wristband you'd be near certain to get back in. Claim ignorance and blag it with a scanner that there must have been a mistake or go to the gate office and get it reset there. 

2 hours ago, amfy said:

Yeah someone mentioned that there's actually nothing stopping people doing that now, it's just the photo. 

You could I guess quickly cut the wristband off and put it back together with a couple of safety pin, that would probably pass most checks. 

Maybe I'm over thinking slightly.

On 7/12/2024 at 11:47 AM, bluesmith said:

One thing I noticed as crew was my epo band could have been slipped off easily and passed on and back. Should have been impossible to do it, but I could and so could my missus. It could easily have been abused imo.

At Lovefileds they purposely put the wristbands on really loosely as they said that they tighten over the course of the festival. Neither my EPO or the Lovefields band did this for me, but the kids Lovefields bands were so tight by the time we got home ( 10days after the festival) that they were basically the same circumference as the kids arms, really tight. I don't know if the kids had somehow been accidently pulling the toggle down, but with mine the worry was that the bands could actually fall off without me realising.

I could have easily given my wristbands to someone else to use and it wouldn't have been easy for anyone to check / prove who the band actually belonged too. Lovefields did record the EPO number that they had given me but there was no reg or ID details associated with it. They have said that for 2025 they will need their customers to have reg numbers, so this will allow the festival to have proper records to check against should anyone give their EPO to someone else.

11 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

At Lovefileds they purposely put the wristbands on really loosely as they said that they tighten over the course of the festival. Neither my EPO or the Lovefields band did this for me, but the kids Lovefields bands were so tight by the time we got home ( 10days after the festival) that they were basically the same circumference as the kids arms, really tight. I don't know if the kids had somehow been accidently pulling the toggle down, but with mine the worry was that the bands could actually fall off without me realising.

I could have easily given my wristbands to someone else to use and it wouldn't have been easy for anyone to check / prove who the band actually belonged too. Lovefields did record the EPO number that they had given me but there was no reg or ID details associated with it. They have said that for 2025 they will need their customers to have reg numbers, so this will allow the festival to have proper records to check against should anyone give their EPO to someone else.

You could give them to someone else to use, but you’d probably not be able to both be in the festival at the same time due to the scanning in and out. 

Just putting this out there, but is the overcrowding in certain areas due to, in part at least, to a generational shift in interests and attitude?  Yes there are more people for sure, probably a little too many... but I think the problems are occurring because a younger generation of festival goers aren't interested in the more chilled, quirky areas of the site.  There's much less chilling out and chatting with folks in the evening and after the main acts... it is literally all about the South East Corner.  The younger kids camped next to us were literally just at the festival for that area alone. It's 'the place to go'... no sitting round a camp fire anymore.

This year was my 20th Glastonbury, my first being in 1994.  I turned 50 recently so yeah... i'm old. But i still adore the festival, but there did feel like a changing of the guard this year.  More than ever a massive shift towards DJs and dance music and there are more stages catering for this now in areas that used to be quieter and drew sections of the crowd away.  The Tiny Tea Tent for example, now not a pleasant place to be after they erected a big stage in the Green Peace field.  

All of Shangri La is basically dance music, Drum and Bass... no really mad quirky surprises anymore.  Anyhoo i digress... I guess my point is, i think there is a large proportion of Glastonbury goers now who all head to certain stages/acts/areas and don't really bother with the areas that are unique to a festival like Glastonbury.

I also feel the line up didn't help, I heard many people a lot younger than me whinging about a 'sh*t line up'. I left Woodsies after Fat White Family to nip back to the tent and it felt like the ENTIRE festival was coming the other way to see the TBC, Kasabian. It was mad.  I overheard comments about it being one of the only decent acts on. (I disagree but there we go.)

Anyway... bit of a brain dump there.  But i certainly feel the younger generation have a more mainstream festival mentality at Glastonbury. A pack mentality that all head to the coolest DJ... not bimbling off getting lost.

But as I say... i'm old. 😀

Edited by muffin

The TBC was always going to be rammed for FOMO and people that genuinely hadn't heard it was Kasabian. Feel they may as well just put them on the poster in the first place as the genuinely secret sets seem to be a thing of the past now. People will always say its a sh*t line up when they haven't heard of a lot of the acts. The poster for me was a bit meh, but I know I would have still had the most amazing time there if I'd gone this year because I would have been discovering new stuff or I would have researched the acts that were on. There seems to be a large part of the demographic that won't do that. Hopefully it puts some people off from attending this year and ticket day will be easier...

And you're NOT old!😂

Edited by MilkyJoe

30 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

The TBC was always going to be rammed for FOMO and people that genuinely hadn't heard it was Kasabian. Feel hey may as well just put them on the poster in the first place as the genuinely secret sets seem to be a thing of the past now. People will always say its a sh*t line up when they haven't heard of a lot of the acts. The poster for me was a bit meh, but I know I would have still had the most amazing time there if I'd gone this year because I would have been discovering new stuff or I would have researched the acts that were on. There seems to be a large part of the demographic that won't do that. Hopefully it puts some people off from attending this year and ticket day will be easier...

And you're NOT old!😂

I agree, I think the TBA sets need to be binned. They also need to stop putting acts on small stages that are clearly going to pull massive crowds. Sugababes and Avril Lavigne both should have been on pyramid. 

6 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I agree, I think the TBA sets need to be binned. They also need to stop putting acts on small stages that are clearly going to pull massive crowds. Sugababes and Avril Lavigne both should have been on pyramid. 

I'm not sure putting Avril on the Other was such a bad move in itself. It was more the fact that the crowd from Shania all migrated towards that stage after she had finished so it was more of a scheduling issue. She should have been playing one slot back and clashed with Shania or booked in the same slot on the saturday.

8 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

I'm not sure putting Avril on the Other was such a bad move in itself. It was more the fact that the crowd from Shania all migrated towards that stage after she had finished so it was more of a scheduling issue. She should have been playing one slot back and clashed with Shania or booked in the same slot on the saturday.

To be fair to Emily and co it must be tricky to predict how silly/drunk/ironic people are feeling.

Janelle vs Avril should have resulted in more folks at The Pyramid and less at The Other 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, muffin said:

Just putting this out there, but is the overcrowding in certain areas due to, in part at least, to a generational shift in interests and attitude?  Yes there are more people for sure, probably a little too many... but I think the problems are occurring because a younger generation of festival goers aren't interested in the more chilled, quirky areas of the site.  There's much less chilling out and chatting with folks in the evening and after the main acts... it is literally all about the South East Corner.  The younger kids camped next to us were literally just at the festival for that area alone. It's 'the place to go'... no sitting round a camp fire anymore.

This year was my 20th Glastonbury, my first being in 1994.  I turned 50 recently so yeah... i'm old. But i still adore the festival, but there did feel like a changing of the guard this year.  More than ever a massive shift towards DJs and dance music and there are more stages catering for this now in areas that used to be quieter and drew sections of the crowd away.  The Tiny Tea Tent for example, now not a pleasant place to be after they erected a big stage in the Green Peace field.  

All of Shangri La is basically dance music, Drum and Bass... no really mad quirky surprises anymore.  Anyhoo i digress... I guess my point is, i think there is a large proportion of Glastonbury goers now who all head to certain stages/acts/areas and don't really bother with the areas that are unique to a festival like Glastonbury.

I also feel the line up didn't help, I heard many people a lot younger than me whinging about a 'sh*t line up'. I left Woodsies after Fat White Family to nip back to the tent and it felt like the ENTIRE festival was coming the other way to see the TBC, Kasabian. It was mad.  I overheard comments about it being one of the only decent acts on. (I disagree but there we go.)

Anyway... bit of a brain dump there.  But i certainly feel the younger generation have a more mainstream festival mentality at Glastonbury. A pack mentality that all head to the coolest DJ... not bimbling off getting lost.

But as I say... i'm old. 😀

I'm with you on most of that, but do young people really give a f**k about Kasabian?

7 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

No way would they put her up against Shania!  Shania would have been playing to an empty field for the second half of her set. She would blame the festival for it and it would make it harder to book legends in the future. 
It’s in the festivals and artistes interest to create FOMO and overcrowded slots it creates hype and gets people talking about it for months after. For that reason I don’t think they will ever stop having secret slots or people playing smaller stages unless it becomes a safety issue and they have to 

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

To be fair to Emily and co it must be tricky to predict how silly/drunk/ironic people are feeling.

Janelle vs Avril should have resulted in more folks at The Pyramid and less at The Other 

This is a huge point. I know Avril is viewed as a 'heritage' act and was always going to be busy for whatever reasons but I don't think anybody would have predicted the Other being so full. I know where I would have been.🙂

For all the talk about overcrowding this year it seems to have been for very few acts. Sugarbabes was possibly the only real bad choice of stage. Avril seems to have been mostly because of the Shania crowd migration. Bicep had a medical emergency and had to stop which led people to wrongly assume it was because of overcrowding? The aforementioned TBA which again is understandable and CharlieXCX was always going to be busy at Levels.

It's Glastonbury. There is always going to be crowds for certain acts. I didn't hear of any overcrowding for Ralph Mctell. Again I know where I would have been.

29 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Tbh Avril on the Other Stage, in that slot, was always asking for trouble. It's not just the migration, but the field itself was by far the busiest I've ever seen. This isn't hindsight talking, given that it panned out exactly how many people including myself predicted from early on. Put her on at the same time on Saturday (so up against Michael Kiwanuka) and you'd get the same effect.

She should only ever have been booked on the Pyramid given that she's exactly the kind of act that always attracts a huge crowd at Glastonbury. Even in a "normal" year against stronger competition it would have been very poor placement. It's a poor decision by the Festival on all counts - for all artists involved, and for customers as well.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 1