Pain Standing up all Day

Thunderstruck

Does anybody else struggle with standing for long periods at the festival? I really impacted my enjoyment this year, probably because I did it completely sober and had nothing to numb the discomfort!

Maybe as I'm now 37 I'm approaching chair age?

My lower back, hips and both legs just seem to cramp up to and cause quite a bit of pain...is there a way to solve this for next year? Or am I on the scrap heap doomed to be sitting in a camping chair at the pyramid all weekend?

This was me in 2023, I ended up taking as much paracetamol and ibuprofen as I could and had to sit out in a hammock for Saturday headliner and sit at the back for Sunday and was in my tent early every night unable to continue.

I figured this was due to my poor posture and core strength so this year I set out a few months back to do daily posture correcting exercises and regular fitness to improve strength and even though I was still not 100% I was able to survive the whole festival with multiple 4am nights and loads more walking and standing with minimal pain.

Edit: Although I also took the advice to sit and relax whenever possible and next year may take a small stool to make that a bit easier to do

Edited by willisjack
  • Like 1

I'm 50 and same thing, standing up all day just hurts these days. Walking is no bother, I walk about 10km a day generally, it's standing on uneven ground for ages that seems to aggrivate my body

So I have a tiny tripod stool that hooks onto my back pack, every half an hour, short sit, all good 🙂

it's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADEPTNA-Portable-Folding-Non-Slip-Festival/dp/B0CDMFL7TB/

had it several glastonburys now, seems well put together

Edited by paulshane
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I find movement is the answer.  Bit of light dancing during gigs rather than standing with my back locked, taking 5 or 10 minutes to have a quick sit down before a gig if I'm there in time, moving occasionally for a better view/space/avoiding talkers during a gig.  Anything is better than standing stock still for 45-90 minutes.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, willisjack said:

This was me in 2023, I ended up taking as much paracetamol and ibuprofen as I could and had to sit out in a hammock for Saturday headliner and sit at the back for Sunday and was in my tent early every night unable to continue.

I figured this was due to my poor posture and core strength so this year I set out a few months back to do daily posture correcting exercises and regular fitness to improve strength and even though I was still not 100% I was able to survive the whole festival with multiple 4am nights and loads more walking and standing with minimal pain.

Edit: Although I also took the advice to sit and relax whenever possible and next year may take a small stool to make that a bit easier to do

Thanks for the info - I suspect it likely is a posture issue. It's frustrating as I'm in fairly good shape, but I suppose that doesn't stop things like this becoming a problem. I think I'll look into some of these types of exercies and stick to them!

I've also been susceptible to back problems in the past due to overloaded bags and carrying in whole crates of beer at the same time in one go, and my thirst for standing and dancing as much as possible.

Since then though, I've really aimed to incorporate some acts I'd like to see during the day but taking a bench on the sides instead of trying to stand and dance all day every day. Really helps trying to manage it with tactical sit-downs/rest time. Helps in a dry year when you can literally sit anywhere.

Also, core exercises, stretches that really focus on back support help too in the morning and evening before bed, just in my tent to try and get everything ready for the day or next day. 

Don't carry in crates of beer in either anymore, lol. That's more an aspect of getting older and having more disposable income as well though.

I'm 36 and was worried because I struggled terribly last year, it actually turned out to be my shoes - will never trust Skechers again. This year went with New Balance and was much much better. Though, I am rarely still, usually bopping. Regular repositions (bending down, reaching, stretching) will all help.

Disclaimer: I have a job for which I am mostly standing.

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

Does anybody else struggle with standing for long periods at the festival? I really impacted my enjoyment this year, probably because I did it completely sober and had nothing to numb the discomfort!

My lower back, hips and both legs just seem to cramp up to and cause quite a bit of pain...is there a way to solve this for next year? Or am I on the scrap heap doomed to be sitting in a camping chair at the pyramid all weekend?

Sounds like you have weak glutes.

I had pretty bad foot pain (caused by fallen arches), it kind of ruined Friday and half of Saturday. Standing is much worse than walking, I also think the woodchip made it worse. I did have a camping stool, but the problem is during acts - generally it's too busy to use a chair unless maybe you're pretty far back, and also if you're sitting down you can't see anything. Ended up watching Fontaines on my own from the seating by the Stonebridge, where the sound bleed was terrible, just to sit down.

I've posted something similar on the 'fitness for Glastonbury' thread, but it's relevant here.  There are different types of fitness, and the type you develop by your average resistance/CV gym workout won't be much help in terms of coping with several days spent walking/standing all day.  There's all sorts of different science at play here including CV fitness, muscular strength, musculoskeletal structures etc. e.g. search online for fast twitch/slow twitch muscle fibres or go down the rabbit hole of the pros/cons of supportive footwear versus training your feet not to need them (e.g. search for 'barefoot shoes,' but that's a controversial topic and there's a real risk of buggering yourself up with them if you're not careful.)  But the best way to think about it is this: if you were training to run a marathon, would you just go to the gym and do leg resistance exercises?  No: you'd train by doing it - that way you're giving the right type of training to all the bits of you that need it.  Same with Glastonbury - the training you need to be doing is being on your feet all day.  Building this type of resilience is a very slow process so the best way to do it is by implementing a lifestyle change asap - i.e. using your own 2 feet whenever possible.  This sounds like an optimistically simple solution, but in fact it would be a major upheaval for most of us because our lives have become so sedentary.  If you actually manage to do this, you'll experience all the foot pain, leg pain lower back pain etc. that's being reported here, but only temporarily - it's just a pain barrier you have to get through, like the soreness you get 2 days after starting a weight training programme.  If your body hasn't got used to being on your feet all day before you get to Glastonbury, then that's where you'll experience these temporary aches/pains.

(Mid 50s.  Zero aches/pains despite blasting round the site wearing converse every day.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

And get some Supafeet insoles.

Was going to add this. I'm 55 and have struggled in the past due to a leg break in 98 now manifesting in a sh*t left knee.

This year I prepped with plenty of Walking (5 years old Rhodesian Ridegeback forces hand), regular yoga each week, binning sugar in brews (lost a stone), good boots (Meindl Baltimore - superb) and superfeet insoles (game changer).

I covered a genuine 130 miles in 7 days on site and have been skipping round the house from Monday onwards.

Eat less, move more and invest in good kit will make for a happier healthier festival 

Edit: I am a WaterAid supervisor so was traveling the length and breadth of the site for my 6 hour shift (4 of them) then immediately getting on it watching band's etc and 4 hours kip a night for 7 days. Apart from the dust induced phlegm on Monday, it was business as usual. 

Edited by Jay Pee

6 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

I am 59, I have a prolapsed disc and GTPS I am not at 'chair age' yet.

The worst thing you can do for what you describe is stand still, keep moving around and the pains will subside. Relax too, even if the pain is bad. Getting tense will just make it worse.

The thing that I'm struggling more and more with is carting a backpack round all day on my back. I try keep stuff in it to a minimum but inevitably you need all sorts - battery pack, few drinks, water bottle, clothes for the evening, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. Back is in tatters

11 minutes ago, mufcok said:

The thing that I'm struggling more and more with is carting a backpack round all day on my back. I try keep stuff in it to a minimum but inevitably you need all sorts - battery pack, few drinks, water bottle, clothes for the evening, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. Back is in tatters

This is going to sound patronizing (not intended) but strip out the shite and only carry the essentials in a smaller backpack. Also get one that is not too "proud" from the back as your fellow ravers will really appreciate that. Being clobbered by large backpacks is a pain.

Have a look at the osprey daylite plus. I can get a raincoat, battery bank, site radio plus bits and bobs AND a 3 litre cider pouch in that and it's a very well put together small pack.