Pain Standing up all Day

Thunderstruck

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Sounds like you have weak glutes.

I teach reformer Pilates and load of people who work out and are fit have weak glutes, a it's hard to isolate them and they can be lazy. But at 37 you are nowhere near chair age! I'm  50 next year and I'm nowhere near chair age. Definitely try and sort your posture, do Pilates (reformer if you can, strengthen your hips, spine, core, glutes), and walk a lot. Next year I reckon you'll feel a huge difference.

29 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

This is going to sound patronizing (not intended) but strip out the shite and only carry the essentials in a smaller backpack. Also get one that is not too "proud" from the back as your fellow ravers will really appreciate that. Being clobbered by large backpacks is a pain.

Have a look at the osprey daylite plus. I can get a raincoat, battery bank, site radio plus bits and bobs AND a 3 litre cider pouch in that and it's a very well put together small pack.

agreeing with this, I have several backpacks (in my caravan so can bring loads of crap) a tiny one that I use when cycling that just about fits my phone battery banks and a small water bottle, a bigger one that I can squeeze a jumper into and a bigger one still that I can stash 8-10 cans of beer, but it's a thin one to they 'stack' and don't just fill the base like a carrier bag.

daytime I use the smallest two depending on weather, as I'll use the bars for beer, evening, i'll dig out the bigger one so i don't have to move if I want a drink.

previous years I used to use a nice Volcom skateboard backback, where I used the board carrier to hold a chair, filled it with beer and snacks, etc etc - great if I was going from a car to a spot on a beach, but I finally realied it was killing me dragging it miles around the festival.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I am 59, I have a prolapsed disc and GTPS I am not at 'chair age' yet.

53.  I started getting some nasty bad backs with spasming muscles a few years back and this year's gift has been that I now get hip pain.  I'm also not at chair age yet, I'm happy to park my arse on the ground, lean against a fence or a flag pole if I can, stick my day back as a bit of lumbar support if not.  I worried in 2022 that, as it seems to take just one wrong movement to send my back into buggery for days, I might not be up to the task but this has been the second festival I've successfully got through without issue since the back has been a bit sh*t.

If I ever get to chair age I reckon I'd get to smaller festival age first anyway.

my thing this year was lower back stiffness, proper annoying considering we were bopping around to music a lot rather than standing still. hate the feeling of wanting to curl up in a ball but you can't cos you're in a crowd. (I tried touching my toes as much as I could and stretching in between) and I'm 30!

need to remember and sort for next year, I suspect from some of these comments it could be a core/posture thing.

Edited by svphie

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

The thing that I'm struggling more and more with is carting a backpack round all day on my back. I try keep stuff in it to a minimum but inevitably you need all sorts - battery pack, few drinks, water bottle, clothes for the evening, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. Back is in tatters

You should try stashing your heavy bag in a property lock up during the day. I use the free Glasto bag to carry a few ciders and maybe a jumper and stash the rest of my kit in a lock up during the day. Check the bag out, get changed into something warmer for the evening, get a few more cans out and then check the bag in again.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Check the bag out, get changed into something warmer for the evening, get a few more cans out and then check the bag in again.

Totally my plan next year.  This year scheduling gave me a perfect moment to run back to camp to chuck on layers and a hoodie and grab a few cans before the temperature dropped, but it makes a lot of sense to use the lockups. 

5 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

I've posted something similar on the 'fitness for Glastonbury' thread, but it's relevant here.  There are different types of fitness, and the type you develop by your average resistance/CV gym workout won't be much help in terms of coping with several days spent walking/standing all day.  There's all sorts of different science at play here including CV fitness, muscular strength, musculoskeletal structures etc. e.g. search online for fast twitch/slow twitch muscle fibres or go down the rabbit hole of the pros/cons of supportive footwear versus training your feet not to need them (e.g. search for 'barefoot shoes,' but that's a controversial topic and there's a real risk of buggering yourself up with them if you're not careful.)  But the best way to think about it is this: if you were training to run a marathon, would you just go to the gym and do leg resistance exercises?  No: you'd train by doing it - that way you're giving the right type of training to all the bits of you that need it.  Same with Glastonbury - the training you need to be doing is being on your feet all day.  Building this type of resilience is a very slow process so the best way to do it is by implementing a lifestyle change asap - i.e. using your own 2 feet whenever possible.  This sounds like an optimistically simple solution, but in fact it would be a major upheaval for most of us because our lives have become so sedentary.  If you actually manage to do this, you'll experience all the foot pain, leg pain lower back pain etc. that's being reported here, but only temporarily - it's just a pain barrier you have to get through, like the soreness you get 2 days after starting a weight training programme.  If your body hasn't got used to being on your feet all day before you get to Glastonbury, then that's where you'll experience these temporary aches/pains.

(Mid 50s.  Zero aches/pains despite blasting round the site wearing converse every day.)

Thanks - so much good info has been posted already that I can look into.

3 hours ago, dulcificum said:

They now do Helinox clones for super cheap. They are UL and pack up small. As someone nearing my 40s, they are a gamechanger.

https://amzn.to/3xJYnQT

Thanks, this looks amazing not just for glastonbury but in general! It's so small!

2 hours ago, PollyPeach said:

I teach reformer Pilates and load of people who work out and are fit have weak glutes, a it's hard to isolate them and they can be lazy. But at 37 you are nowhere near chair age! I'm  50 next year and I'm nowhere near chair age. Definitely try and sort your posture, do Pilates (reformer if you can, strengthen your hips, spine, core, glutes), and walk a lot. Next year I reckon you'll feel a huge difference.

This is interesting - I thought as I do crossfit I'd be ok, but I have heard there's still loads of people with these kind of issues (lazy glutes). For example my right knee turns in squatting which is possibly to do with glute activation.

I'll look to see if there is any reformer pilates near me, although I understand it's quite pricey as the machines cost a lot!

1 hour ago, svphie said:

my thing this year was lower back stiffness, proper annoying considering we were bopping around to music a lot rather than standing still. hate the feeling of wanting to curl up in a ball but you can't cos you're in a crowd. (I tried touching my toes as much as I could and stretching in between) and I'm 30!

need to remember and sort for next year, I suspect from some of these comments it could be a core/posture thing.

That's the similar type of stiffness i get! Touch my toes feels so good but I look like a weirdo 😅

Edited by Thunderstruck