Pain Standing up all Day

Thunderstruck

1 hour ago, CharlotteB said:

Getting to some sort of barrier to lean on is fast becoming essential for me.

Got to the barrier for Squeeze, Baby Queen and Aurora this year. Unobstructed view, great sound and a lean. Perfection! Also got near the front for Henge but that was crazy. 

• Upvote 1

I’m pretty fit, I’ve always run, cycled, done HIIT classes and I walk everywhere, I’m still a size 10 and generally don’t feel any different from 23 year old me when I started going to Glastonbury.. what’s changed is by the time you get to 50 you can’t just do lots of cardio and wing the rest, you have to do specific strength training to retain muscle mass, even basic core muscles that I definitely took for granted for years.

It’s a massive wake up call for me this year that I do need to start putting some serious effort in to be able to stand up all day..  I need strength training and probably Pilates.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2024 at 8:42 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Got to the barrier for Squeeze, Baby Queen and Aurora this year. Unobstructed view, great sound and a lean. Perfection! Also got near the front for Henge but that was crazy. 

Before the music starts I've taken to putting my back to the barrier and leaning backwards so my spine goes 'pop pop pop' and it feels amazing 😍 get me through the following 45 mins!

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2024 at 3:25 PM, mufcok said:

The thing that I'm struggling more and more with is carting a backpack round all day on my back. I try keep stuff in it to a minimum but inevitably you need all sorts - battery pack, few drinks, water bottle, clothes for the evening, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. Back is in tatters

I really don't like carting a bag about so just a small bum bag type thing acrosd my shoulder with a water bottle attached to it is as much as I carry around. On the Weds and Thu we took small fold up chairs out with us but with it being dry ditched those for the weekend.  Admittedly, we don't carry booze or food about with us which adds cost but I would rather do that than cart a bag. 

As for standing generally, I find it fine still at 55. For me it's just a bit tedious so moving about between sets breaks it up plus having a sit on the grass or whatever in between. Back strengthening exercises and weights have helped me in recent years coupled with plenty of cardio stuff (a cross trainer in the gym is good for strengthening without too much impact on the joints) and is perfect prep for the trek up to Strummerville (and beyond if staying at WV)😃

I've now taken a reform Pilates intro class and booked in for a first proper session, thanks to reading about it on here. My problem is actually sitting down rather than standing! my hips / groin area give me serious grief when I sit down with a 90deg leg to body angle. Like a lot of people on here, I've been a regular, consistent exerciser all my life, so I don't think its so much about being unfit overall.

Our bodies needs change as we get older and seeing people share their issues and experiences on here helps us think about trying new things that might help us.

listening to our bodies and listening to others becomes ever more important as we age, what we try may not work, but nothing is lost by trying.

I’m the same age. It’s a strange age where mentally being in your 20s and not worrying about this sort of stuff but physically being almost 40 and having to worry about this sort of stuff. 

Being as fit as possible is a massive help. I’ve had so much more longevity at the festivals where I’m in good shape compared with the ones I haven’t been.

stretching in the morning as well

14 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

I’m the same age. It’s a strange age where mentally being in your 20s and not worrying about this sort of stuff but physically being almost 40 and having to worry about this sort of stuff. 

Being as fit as possible is a massive help. I’ve had so much more longevity at the festivals where I’m in good shape compared with the ones I haven’t been.

stretching in the morning as well

I'm 59 and still mentally in my 20's.

Being fitter is great as long as you find the happy place where you can stop the exercise if the body needs to rest and also lower food intake else you grow fast - I found that out when I could not be active for 6 months. 3 years later and I am just getting back to where I was.

36 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I'm 59 and still mentally in my 20's.

Being fitter is great as long as you find the happy place where you can stop the exercise if the body needs to rest and also lower food intake else you grow fast - I found that out when I could not be active for 6 months. 3 years later and I am just getting back to where I was.

Yeah I feel ya. Sort of a harsh awakening when you get in shape and then lose it all over 1 month when you eat badly. 
But regardless of age, any level of fitness and your body being used to daily movement is gonna hell at glasto