Getting to the front for headliners

mike86

And to get back on topic, it boggles my mind that ppl would stay on the barrier all day. Seems like an arduous task, planning piss breaks, fighting thru the crowds to get food, asking ppl to hold your space etc.

I remember during Run the Jewels being on the barrier and then couple next to me looked exhausted. Mid-fifties, waiting for Foos. When the bass and soundcheck started, they looked uncomfortable, let alone when the gig actually started.

I know Foos are loud too, but don't think they liked RTJ or the pit at all for the following hour 😆

10 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

This video shows no turnstile barrier things, but they were on the left-hand side, is that right?

What's the sense in that?

The turn-styles on the left were there so that Coldplay could access the satellite stage mid-gig. 

A mate and I did it on the Saturday in 2000, but we arrived about 4-5pm, when it was easy to be right in there, and moved onto the barrier at some point over the next couple of hours.  It was a fun time, we chatted with a lot of folks who were doing the same.  Neither of us were big drinkers, instead sticking to the smoking sundries, so bladder issues weren't a problem.  I wouldn't do it again, tbh, we had a great day and the lineup happened to coincide for a good run of 90s indie and britpop bands but it feels like too much hassle now.

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Were the “turnstile-less turnstiles” for the walkways? Had them on the way into SE corner as well and definitely only to control crowd flow there. 

There were barriers in them as we went in for Simz.

31 minutes ago, SighMo said:

There were barriers in them as we went in for Simz.

Yeah - they closed them for Coldplay and I don't think they re-opened them again.  On the footage you can see the area of space opened up in the pit where normally more folk would have inched in.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

Only went on the barrier once at a busy gig; Metronomy on the JP stage in 2017. Didn't like it at all. Prefer 8 or 10 back, at least you feel part of it.

2019 I was working the overnight shift on a gate at Latitude. This lad turned up in the early hours of the morning (5/6ish if I remember rightly) with a day ticket. He was a scarily obsessed Lana del Rey fan and was determined to be at the front for her. Gates didn't even open until (I think) 8am and then the arena didn't open until 10 or 11. And then she wouldn't be on stage until 10pm. His plan was go straight to the arena gates so he was first in, then straight to the main stage and not move all day. Had no idea who else was on before her, didn't care. 

28 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

2019 I was working the overnight shift on a gate at Latitude. This lad turned up in the early hours of the morning (5/6ish if I remember rightly) with a day ticket. He was a scarily obsessed Lana del Rey fan and was determined to be at the front for her. Gates didn't even open until (I think) 8am and then the arena didn't open until 10 or 11. And then she wouldn't be on stage until 10pm. His plan was go straight to the arena gates so he was first in, then straight to the main stage and not move all day. Had no idea who else was on before her, didn't care. 

she was probably late too!

6 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

And to get back on topic, it boggles my mind that ppl would stay on the barrier all day. Seems like an arduous task, planning piss breaks, fighting thru the crowds to get food, asking ppl to hold your space etc.

I remember during Run the Jewels being on the barrier and then couple next to me looked exhausted. Mid-fifties, waiting for Foos. When the bass and soundcheck started, they looked uncomfortable, let alone when the gig actually started.

I know Foos are loud too, but don't think they liked RTJ or the pit at all for the following hour 😆

Its cheaper to do this than on a solo gig for Coldplay. Cause they sell vip/early entry tickets on their own tour dates. 

I did it in 2017 for Radiohead, piece of cake. I think I went earlier than this and the barrier had been open. I also thought I was "late". But I got a spot I had no issue with so it worked out. Got on tele a couple times and partially in a shot for A Star Is Born. Fun day. Just sucks I had to miss some other acts that day like Dua Lipa creating her no dancing meme.  And I did have an apple in my backpack along with having had a sausage bap in the morning.

This isnt as taxing as other festivals though. People waited in 40 degree heat for Lana at Coachella so go try that. Or just in other places where it has humidity. At Lollapalooza this year theres another K Pop headliner and those people stand in queue overnight at the gates then run in and dont move. Its also a disservice to the artists before cause they dont care about them. So anyone wanting to catch somebody before just hits a wall of people that dont give a toss and are likely sitting on the grass playing on their phone.

3 hours ago, BluesManP said:

why chewing gum? what about going to the toilet?

Because you dont want to drink that much water. Gum keeps your mouth moist and you feel like youre not parched.

Lets also bring up the point that now its just gotten worse to need to be up front for the younger generation. They all need to get that tik tok video of being in the front and showing they "suffered" for their favorite artist.