Getting to the front for headliners

mike86

For the record, if we're taking about the front as in "the barrier that stretches across the length of the stage", then I walked up to SZA with a camping chair forty minutes before she began and got on there with concerning ease.

Ultimately moved to the back of the field, away from the coked-up brigade of gold-lame fish-scale jumpsuiters, but in terms of having to beat away other punters for a primo spot, there was absolutely no need.

Am on the video with red rose flag, we walked to the back of the pit. Was able to go out after each set up to Little Simz and get back to our spot. Only did it for Coldplay this year. With planning it’s easy to do and well worth it as the small stage they came onto was behind us. PS I’m not an influencer nor do I s##t in a crisp bag. Respect to all those who spent day at front. 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Its cheaper to do this than on a solo gig for Coldplay. Cause they sell vip/early entry tickets on their own tour dates. 

I did it in 2017 for Radiohead, piece of cake. I think I went earlier than this and the barrier had been open. I also thought I was "late". But I got a spot I had no issue with so it worked out. Got on tele a couple times and partially in a shot for A Star Is Born. Fun day. Just sucks I had to miss some other acts that day like Dua Lipa creating her no dancing meme.  And I did have an apple in my backpack along with having had a sausage bap in the morning.

This isnt as taxing as other festivals though. People waited in 40 degree heat for Lana at Coachella so go try that. Or just in other places where it has humidity. At Lollapalooza this year theres another K Pop headliner and those people stand in queue overnight at the gates then run in and dont move. Its also a disservice to the artists before cause they dont care about them. So anyone wanting to catch somebody before just hits a wall of people that dont give a toss and are likely sitting on the grass playing on their phone.

Because you dont want to drink that much water. Gum keeps your mouth moist and you feel like youre not parched.

Lets also bring up the point that now its just gotten worse to need to be up front for the younger generation. They all need to get that tik tok video of being in the front and showing they "suffered" for their favorite artist.

So what's the difference between you doing it for Radiohead and to get on telly, and younger people doing it for Kpop acts and posting about it on TikTok?

Found myself on the barrier for Kim Gordon, which was partly down to the lacklustre crowd (at least at first, it busied up a fair amount) and partly down to me suddenly realising I’d never been on the barrier and should give it a go -  i was right behind the bloody cameraman, so didn’t know whether to watch what I was watching on the stage, watch his little screen, or sort of watch both/neither. Sound was great there and I really liked watching the interactions between the band. Would do so again, but only if I’m really into the band, I absolutely could not camp out there all day for a headliner 

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Its cheaper to do this than on a solo gig for Coldplay. Cause they sell vip/early entry tickets on their own tour dates. 

I did it in 2017 for Radiohead, piece of cake. I think I went earlier than this and the barrier had been open. I also thought I was "late". But I got a spot I had no issue with so it worked out. Got on tele a couple times and partially in a shot for A Star Is Born. Fun day. Just sucks I had to miss some other acts that day like Dua Lipa creating her no dancing meme.  And I did have an apple in my backpack along with having had a sausage bap in the morning.

This isnt as taxing as other festivals though. People waited in 40 degree heat for Lana at Coachella so go try that. Or just in other places where it has humidity. At Lollapalooza this year theres another K Pop headliner and those people stand in queue overnight at the gates then run in and dont move. Its also a disservice to the artists before cause they dont care about them. So anyone wanting to catch somebody before just hits a wall of people that dont give a toss and are likely sitting on the grass playing on their phone.

Because you dont want to drink that much water. Gum keeps your mouth moist and you feel like youre not parched.

Lets also bring up the point that now its just gotten worse to need to be up front for the younger generation. They all need to get that tik tok video of being in the front and showing they "suffered" for their favorite artist.

To me it sounds awful. In an ideal world, the stage would be cleared after each artist with one way systems and you would not be able to stay at the front of a stage the whole day

• Upvote 1

I wanted to see PJ Harvey, LCD and Dua and wanted to be on the catwalk for Dua.. so got a spot on and catwalk barrier before PJ and somehow managed not to need the toilet the whole time.  Probably the longest I’ve waited for a good spot and would’ve probably just turned up after PJ Harvey had I not wanted to see her.  
Definitely worth it, the atmosphere and view for Dua was incredible. 

Roskilde (and I assume other festivals) give pit access wristbands out for the mainstage acts at staggered times. So you'd only have to queue for a bit to get your wristband, then can f**k off and enjoy the festival rather than just staying at one stage for the whole day, returning to the pit to see your chosen act.

Edited by majormajormajor