Getting to the front for headliners

mike86

59 minutes ago, SPW said:

We moved around a bit but on the Fri ended up on the '2nd' barrier just to the left towards the screen for Squeeze, Paul Heaton, PJ Harvey and LCD Soundsystem. That was made easy for the last three by the mass exodus from Seventeen (we caught the last couple of songs) and between us was easy to keep a spot. For all of those it would have been easy to get close to the v.front barrier I reckon. I almost went through the turnstile thingys to move in closer for LCD, which was my main must-see, but where we were proved to be a good balance of great atmosphere, view, and sound so stayed put and it was great (although would have been great anywhere).  

For Coldplay and a couple of other sets on the Sat we went much further back, level with speaker 5 if anyone uses those as reference points like we do!  Particularly for Coldplay the view was great for taking in scale of lasers and fireworks etc. 

My (then 19 yo) son weaved to the front of Kendrick Lamar, in 2022 was it, and it meant a lot to him seeing it as close as poss. Guess horses for courses. My thirst/ bladder combo means I'll happily do other stuff pre sets and be further back.

It was really handy that the delay towers in pyramid were labelled with numbers this year, made finding people so much easier. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2024 at 5:22 PM, Suprefan said:

Its cheaper to do this than on a solo gig for Coldplay. Cause they sell vip/early entry tickets on their own tour dates. 

If you want to waste a day, why don't you go to work, spend half the money you earn that day and then buy a solo gig and not bust your balls all day?

On 7/16/2024 at 3:11 PM, Skip997 said:

Not a fan. Far too controlling. 

Although I would be in favour of some sort of scheme to stop SE corner tourists. 

Hypocritical I know  

Here's your scheme. A ticket (or maybe two, depending on research), a bit like a pass out arrives with your main ticket. You can use it once and it is handed in at SEC barrier (new). You can give it away, or get em from other people, which allows you to go more than once if it's your thing, but it will mean a finite number of entries overall to the SEC.

22 hours ago, Helsbels said:

We got either on the barrier or one back for most things this year and loved it. Much preferred to my usual haunt of the tree. Found it easy enough to get there by going the act before. Not sure I'd stay in one spot all day though. Unless it was for the Spice Girls....

The tree is a great spot! All the fuss around flags blocking the view aren't really an issue from there. 

Like @QuarkI'm not a massive fan of fighting through crowds and don't care enough to get there sufficiently early for anything. Is different if there's a great run on beforehand. 

The stars aligned for Radiohead 2017 and we got much nearer the front - and I loved it...but I'm yet to be inside the circle for a headliner (or indeed anything)

Was in there 2022 for Sam Fender. Watched Wolf Alice from besides the mixing desk (made it on to the BBC coverage) then wandered in during Krauss and Plant. They were terrible but there was a good churn after their performance and we managed to get our backs to the railings of the back crash barrier (best spot imo). Great position for a brilliant set.

2 hours ago, Sasperella2 said:

The tree is a great spot! All the fuss around flags blocking the view aren't really an issue from there. 

Like @QuarkI'm not a massive fan of fighting through crowds and don't care enough to get there sufficiently early for anything. Is different if there's a great run on beforehand. 

The stars aligned for Radiohead 2017 and we got much nearer the front - and I loved it...but I'm yet to be inside the circle for a headliner (or indeed anything)

Only time I've bothered was Rufus Wainwright a couple of years ago. Although I reckon we could have all got on stage with him.

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2024 at 1:47 PM, Justcalledtosay said:

Was in there 2022 for Sam Fender. Watched Wolf Alice from besides the mixing desk (made it on to the BBC coverage) then wandered in during Krauss and Plant. They were terrible but there was a good churn after their performance and we managed to get our backs to the railings of the back crash barrier (best spot imo). Great position for a brilliant set.

Apparently just in front of the mixing desk is where you get the best sound. Stands to reason, anyway 

• Upvote 1

For me getting to the front is just getting to the front of the surge barrier. That's close enough for me, plus as I'm fairly short, that little gap away from the person in front helps for viewing!

Getting there is easy to do, just sleep through as the previous act ends. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

For me getting to the front is just getting to the front of the surge barrier. That's close enough for me, plus as I'm fairly short, that little gap away from the person in front helps for viewing!

That's where I was for Coldplay this year - I wanted to see Michael Kiwanuka and Little Simz, and it was pretty easy to slip in during the churn at the end of Keane. I'd say, and my experience is limited to this year so there'll be others with greater wisdom, it's an ideal spot for every act on the Pyramid except the headliners, who if they're going to have lots of fireworks and spectacle are probably best seen from a little further back.

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

That’s our prime spot as well, also a bit of a short arse as well so it’s ideal. Must be a west of Scotland thing😉😊 I’ve been in worse crushes further back as folk try and barge through. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

So have been in pit for both Elton and Coldplay recently but not near the barrier waited for previous act to finish and approached from right of stage near Green hoardings and was kind of taken with the flow into the pit off right . Actually this year with Coldplay the pushing seemed not great and anyone exiting in that direction would have really struggled … as a tall guy it was pretty uncomfortable so for shorter people must have been pretty uncomfortable. Despite the newspapers on both occasions reporting I stood there all day this was my strategy . Much easier when @Kalopsiasaved me a space on barrier for PSBs and getting to front at west holts this year was really easy straight down left hand side of stage 10 mins before start