Why is everyone so obsessed about the headliners?

BluesManP

Headliners are hugely important. Define each year in many respects.

I mentioned to Cally G over the weekend that i hate "Coldplay years" for example... Last year will always be linked to Elton, the year before McCartney.

I think it's more that the media are obsessed with the headliners. I think it shows Glastonbury's status that the broadsheets find it newsworthy - you don't see news stories about Reading headliners, except in the music press! And that media attention must give the festival more leverage when courting potential new headliners - "look at the publicity that headlining Glastonbury gets you!". 

But I get the impression the OP thinks that Efests is only obsessed with the headliners - and bar one or two mega threads I really don't see that? If we were only interested in them then we wouldn't be going back year after year. It's the arts, the political statements, the theatrics, the random little stages, and the location itself that set Glastonbury apart from other festivals.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Headliners are hugely important. Define each year in many respects.

I mentioned to Cally G over the weekend that i hate "Coldplay years" for example... Last year will always be linked to Elton, the year before McCartney.

Maybe cos they're closely associated with wet ones? 

(Until this year broke the curse)

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe cos they're closely associated with wet ones? 

(Until this year broke the curse)

Fair...

The inoffensive nature of Coldplay irks though mate. Being smothered in "nice" is grim every few years.

I've only ever seen them once before (Glasgow QMU, NME brat Bus Tour, onstage first before Campag Velocet) and I've obviously got prejudices about them, but I actually found their willingness to look ridiculous (dressing up as aliens) endearing.  Maybe it helped that the designs were quite Pete Fowler but it actually reminded me a wee bit of the Super Furries.

Plus Arabesque was genuinely a 'Have some of this you slaaaags' moment.

Because of price.

The ticket price is so high these days that if you don't want to see at least one of the headliners, it's probably not justifiable. Yes, I've done many, many years where I've not seen a single headliner. I've done years where I've seen about three bands all festival and just watched Circus/Comedy stuff the whole time.

That's not a sensible thing to do any more. There are loads of comedy festivals about and I could go to one of those for half the cost of Glastonbury. 

The other thing is that headliners are the only acts that play full sets. So if I really like a band and see them headline Glastonbury, I might not bother with the tour. Literally saves me that money. But if I really like a band and they're playing mid-afternoon on the Pyramid, that's great, I get to watch them for an hour, but I'm still going to go to the tour to see the full show.

I don't think there's a better stage in the UK than the pyramid stage and even though I had my best every Glastonbury this year without seeing a headline act there, I will be a bit disappointed if next year draws a blank again. Seeing a band you love on that stage with a full crowd is an incredible experience

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EavisAintDead said:

I don't think there's a better stage in the UK than the pyramid stage and even though I had my best every Glastonbury this year without seeing a headline act there, I will be a bit disappointed if next year draws a blank again. Seeing a band you love on that stage with a full crowd is an incredible experience

Agree. I’ve had years without a Pyramid headliner that have been amazing but there is something magic about it. A good Pyramid headliner hits spots other gigs don’t get to.

I don’t think your average Glasto-goer is anymore obsessed with the headliners than regular attendees of other festivals. That said, given the not-inconsiderable outlay to attend these events, it certainly is a factor. I’m sure most Glasto attendees would rather a kick-ass bunch of headliners than not, even if publicly they may not admit it. And if you go every year without paying for the privilege then you’ll undoubtedly have a different viewpoint 

For me, a good headliner caps off a good day, and without it I have a kinda hollow feeling. And when I say headliner, I don't just mean the Pyramid Stage. This time round I wasn't really feeling any of the headliners on any of the main stages. I had to re-adjust my expectations and look further down the lineup for my "headliner". I feel they are important and I feel that this year the headliners sucked.

On 7/8/2024 at 3:37 PM, CanWeRest said:

For me, a good headliner caps off a good day, and without it I have a kinda hollow feeling. And when I say headliner, I don't just mean the Pyramid Stage. This time round I wasn't really feeling any of the headliners on any of the main stages. I had to re-adjust my expectations and look further down the lineup for my "headliner". I feel they are important and I feel that this year the headliners sucked.

Somehow ended up at West Holts for all three headliners this year - Jungle and Justice definitely felt like headliners, Jessie Ware felt like the best camp disco but maybe not so headlinery