Police crime figures

121 offences and 30 arrests recorded at this years festival. Stats are recorded until 10am on the Monday so I guess some of the vehicle thefts are not included in the numbers.

It does feel incredibly safe these days, which is great, although I do worry that the festival is at risk of becoming a bit too sterile.

From what I saw, Police were definitely more visible on site this year, which is not necessarily a good thing, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

My experience was of far less police on site this year. I only remember seeing about 4 all weekend.

I only saw them on the west side of the site to be fair. Silver Hayes near levels always had a few. Entering the Pyramid field from San Remo side and around the perimeter of the Other stage field. Often in groups of 5 or 6.

3 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

There was something going on in front of the tree during Coldplay. Afterwards loads of coppers steamed in. God knows what though.

Probably someone refusing to singalong.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

I agree, it's very worrying that there is far less crime these days.

Makes for a much better festival when you wake up with your tent slashed and your money stolen. 

Loved the year a load of people got shot aswell. 

29 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

I agree, it's very worrying that there is far less crime these days.

I’m not arguing for more crime. Do you think groups of uniformed police lowers crime rates at the festival?

Anyone intent on serious crime won’t give a sh*t about a few uniformed police standing around.

23 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Makes for a much better festival when you wake up with your tent slashed and your money stolen. 

Loved the year a load of people got shot aswell. 

Did you struggle to read the part where I said it was great the festival feels a lot safer?

You don’t need uniformed police to feel safe, do you?

As long as they're there with no intimidation, with the main goal of safety and stopping petty crime/theft/violence, and not searching/charging your average happy festival goer carrying personal amount of drugs or making people feel uneasy, then I don't see any issue.

The amount of police probably = the licensing requirements to host this many punters. I would assume that police numbers are more likely to increase rather than decrease.

17 hours ago, Cooter said:

Probably someone refusing to singalong.

No excuse, they were taught the words to Fix You!

57 minutes ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

I’m not arguing for more crime. Do you think groups of uniformed police lowers crime rates at the festival?

Anyone intent on serious crime won’t give a sh*t about a few uniformed police standing around.

Its such a massive target as an event, broadcast worldwide and synonymous with this country, I'm sure the real reason for them on site is to respond to events way bigger than what any of those arrests were for.

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

There are people openly doing Class A drugs in the daylight all over the festival site. Including in front of stages where there are BBC cameras broadcasting live.

What is too sterile for you exactly?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

There are people openly doing Class A drugs in the daylight all over the festival site. Including in front of stages where there are BBC cameras broadcasting live.

What is too sterile for you exactly?

Sterile was probably not the best choice of words. I think the main stage type of experience seems to be expanding across the site at the expense of the alternative areas. The alternative areas that remain feel like they’re being watered down a bit more every year.

43 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

No excuse, they were taught the words to Fix You!

Its such a massive target as an event, broadcast worldwide and synonymous with this country, I'm sure the real reason for them on site is to respond to events way bigger than what any of those arrests were for.

Policing for safety is absolutely necessary. I’m just not sure that groups of uniformed police are the most appropriate and effective way to do it.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, sildante said:

As long as they're there with no intimidation, with the main goal of safety and stopping petty crime/theft/violence, and not searching/charging your average happy festival goer carrying personal amount of drugs or making people feel uneasy, then I don't see any issue.

The amount of police probably = the licensing requirements to host this many punters. I would assume that police numbers are more likely to increase rather than decrease.

I agree with you on the goals. It’s about the most effective way to achieve them.

There were around 1,400 police deployed to the site in 2019. I probably saw 3 or 4 over the entire festival and felt very safe. Excellent policing of the event, in my opinion. Also reflected in very low crime figures.

2 hours ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

Sterile was probably not the best choice of words. I think the main stage type of experience seems to be expanding across the site at the expense of the alternative areas. The alternative areas that remain feel like they’re being watered down a bit more every year.

Agree with that! Radio Oneification.