2026 Fallow Year

Ayrshire Chris

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Maybe there'd be less of people dipping in and out of they knew they were getting full tour shows?

Maybe in a smaller tent where they close the doors during showtime?

To be fair that just sounds like the Astrolabe (I think- I've never been)

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Yes to be fair I do often wonder if the comedians would be better received if it was more of their full show although perhaps festivals aren't a perfect place for long form shows.

It also comes back to money. If you do 20 minutes of your show to a half full tent at Glasto, that's 500 people who might come see you on tour if they liked it. If you do your whole show, that's 500 people who won't come see you on tour, even if they were already fans before hand and otherwise would have. So you'd need to actually pay the performers more than a ticket, which I know is a problem right now.

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe in a smaller tent where they close the doors during showtime?

To be fair that just sounds like the Astrolabe (I think- I've never been)

They do that for some things at Latitude. Not the main comedy stage, that's open and you can just come and go. Although there's usually less movement during acts than at Glastonbury and the comperes do a good job of getting everyone in between acts. 

I don't think it'll be any better or worse than usual. I have a connection with oxfam through a family member and was told I could get a volunteering position for this year if I had been unsuccessful but that wasn't how it turned out. I'm assuming that offer stands for next year but I suppose I should ask. I wouldn't mind seeing what it's like to work instead. 

5 hours ago, NotAnInsider said:

A complete stranger in a crew bar who I shared a table with. Talking about how busy it was and he offered that up as the reason for the early fallow year with much confidence. Said there were too many cokeheads getting tickets the last few years and clogging areas up.

But he also said he reckons its because ticketing was f**ked which will be fixed for next year, the balance restored and nothing will end up needing to change. 

Stuff about old areas being bulldozed is just fear on my part form that article the other day calling car henge twee.

Genuinely intrigued as to what they could do ticketing-use to restore any balance

3 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I don't think it'll be any better or worse than usual. I have a connection with oxfam through a family member and was told I could get a volunteering position for this year if I had been unsuccessful but that wasn't how it turned out. I'm assuming that offer stands for next year but I suppose I should ask. I wouldn't mind seeing what it's like to work instead. 

Could do with a few more tabloid articles like the Eminem one in the Mail the other day that referred to ‘the worst festival ever’

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Genuinely intrigued as to what they could do ticketing-use to restore any balance

Telling people it's sold out on social media and then the sale goes on for another 45 minutes is the sort of thing that jumps out at me. We all knew to carry on 

Edited by efcfanwirral

36 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Telling people it's sold out on social media and then the sale goes on for another 45 minutes is the sort of thing that jumps out at me. We all knew to carry on 

Ha. Love this idea.

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Queue for led zeppelin overnight in Glasgow back in the 70s. And it was worth it! Even a few softies with chairs😉

IMG_1156.webp.22430da236c328a1fff33d316c193b63.webp

I love how orderly that queue is.😄 And they have those book things and everything. Nowadays it would be just a massive blob of people blocking the whole pavement.

I heard word of a couple of food traders saying that 2025 would be their last year trading and that the fallow year was a perfect time to retire from the game. 
One particularly well known trader being one of them.

11 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Which one are you? 

Sadly, Not in it, Round the corner I reckon, queue was massive.  The press took this photo and if you look carefully you can see folk hiding their faces. They should have been at work, or in my case, school. Salvation Army brought us tea. 

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Sadly, Not in it, Round the corner I reckon, queue was massive.  The press took this photo and if you look carefully you can see folk hiding their faces. They should have been at work, or in my case, school. Salvation Army brought us tea. 

My sister queued overnight for U2 tickets for their New Years Eve show in 1989/1990

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

My old man grew up in Dunoon in the 50s and 60s....seen a lot of similar looking people in old family photos! 😄 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

My old man grew up in Dunoon in the 50s and 60s....seen a lot of similar looking people in old family photos! 😄 

Yes that was us in the70s, Vosene shampoo for the hair and clearasil for the spots😉😊

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

20 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Slightly off topic @DeanoL - any interesting upcoming names that either Glastonbury should be keeping an eye out for (or that I should have on my radar for the Fringe)?

Josh Pugh, Lindsey Santoro, Eric Rushton, Andrew Bird