Sneaking in - Full Video

Jacko45

15 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

The OP said they were putting a wristband on before going through the gate.

Yep, when we were still in the queue they both put a wristband on. 

My only guess is they were trying to get in through the re-entry gates and perhaps he had the passout and tickets in the envelope...

.I was trying to keep an eye as to what they would do when they got through the first security check but it was really busy and I didn't manage to see where they went after that.

42 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Also, who's to say those caught were the only ones involved, maybe they hedged their bets by having more people than required on the payroll. 

That was my assumption. It seems like quite a lucrative organised thing, it wouldn't be surprising if they had a few people 

Just finished watching the whole video at lunchtime. They went through all that just to pay anyway and missed Wed and Thurs, then to watch Coldplay from miles away, and then went around having BANTZ with other bant-machines. The guy who was picked up is probably how my reaction would be, "Who the f**k are these twats?"

Doesn't seem worth it to be honest.

EDIT: Just realised they missed Wed, Thurs, Fri, and most of Saturday... What the hell. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stuie said:

As with most roles, it's dual agency.   That makes it harder to get someone on the inside, as you'd need someone from Oxfam and someone from Festaff. 

On first entry, Oxfam check the ticket, security features, photo likeness and pass you on to Festaff who will attach the wristband. 

On most vehicle gates, Oxfam work alongside a security company - wristbands are checked by both agencies staff, so neither can just let people in who are in the vehicle with no wristbands on!

Yeah i'd forgotten about Oxfam first checking tickets, tbh i'm not usually paying much attention in my haste to get in.

Re vehicle gates though, I worked VG5 for Oxfam last year and the gate crew were not interested in wristbands and tickets so they left it to us to check those. If they had a wristband that would have gone through a dual agency check somewhere else when issued though. Neither were allowed to open vehicles to check if people in the back though so that's an easy route in if you can find a driver who'll do it.

Edited by Johnnyseven

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Not a license breach if it can't be proven, and I suspect it can't be. The festival might be of the belief that the license is a bit too restrictive and an extra 20K people would be fine and safe. They can't just ignore the license and sell an extra 20K tickets, but if 20K people get in unofficially... can it really be proven that there's 200K people on site instead of 180K?

To what end, though? Can't just be so some old folk can live vicariously and reminisce about the days when the festival was more edgy.  If there are complaints regarding crowd management it seems like an obvious thing to go after. 

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

To what end, though? Can't just be so some old folk can live vicariously and reminisce about the days when the festival was more edgy.  If there are complaints regarding crowd management it seems like an obvious thing to go after. 

Crowd management and over crowding are not the same thing though. This year a lot of people are taking their own personal experience of getting stuck in crowds, which is anecdotal evidence really, and then assuming that the site must have been busier than previously because their personal experience was different this time. 

There was a new crowd management company on site this year. They closed Levels on Thursday evening while I was inside and it was maybe 75% full at the most. I think decisions like that along with the pish lineup on pyramid making the field empty for most of the weekend contributed to crowding problems in other areas. I don’t believe loads of people were getting in illegally (or at least no more than other years) and we know they didn’t sell any more tickets than the last 2 years. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, tomf3 said:

I think they are probably more accepting of it than many events (e.g. Reading, Leeds) and it has been a big part of Glastonbury's history. Maybe they also view it that it helps stop the crowd becoming solely middle class + crew, as a lot of the people who break in are probably the types of people who supported it in the earlier days before it was so mainstream. That said, if it's significantly impacting on people being able to enjoy the event and creating potentially dangerous situations, surely that should take precedent. 

People paying a random to get in (by whatever means are looking at £500 plus, so even greater than the ticket price - more middle class if anything. Unless they genuinely know someone that can get them in as crew.

40 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

haha im a fan of the phrase "bant-machines" @MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

top work

Haha, thanks. I hate these types of people. Two guys and a girl asked me who was playing at the Bandstand last year and why there was such a crowd, so I politely tried to explain it was Shohawk Duo and what kind of music they played thinking I was going to have a nice chat and they just kept sarcastically answering, like "Wooow, sounds really cool. Oh, they do covers of dance songs, sounds amazing." I just walked off without saying anything. Absolutely boils my piss, these people who think they're the funniest bantz banterers the world has ever heard.

EDIT: also wish the phrase, "Young, dumb/fun, full of c*m" would just f**k off back to 2008 and die already.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

There was someone selling on Ebay on Thursday morning two worker wristbands with QR codes on them. I sent them a message and it did sound to me like they were genuinely called away due to an emergency and was willing to meet somewhere on the way home and also chuck in their parking pass. I was tempted, but it’d have been a lot of hassle and money if it was to have not got me in.

21 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Crowd management and over crowding are not the same thing though. This year a lot of people are taking their own personal experience of getting stuck in crowds, which is anecdotal evidence really, and then assuming that the site must have been busier than previously because their personal experience was different this time. 

There was a new crowd management company on site this year. They closed Levels on Thursday evening while I was inside and it was maybe 75% full at the most. I think decisions like that along with the pish lineup on pyramid making the field empty for most of the weekend contributed to crowding problems in other areas

Yup - agreed. From my POV the crowds were well managed this year.

Interesting to hear about the new crowd management company.  Think that's the first I've heard of it.

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Haha, thanks. I hate these types of people. Two guys and a girl asked me who was playing at the Bandstand last year and why there was such a crowd, so I politely tried to explain it was Shohawk Duo and what kind of music they played thinking I was going to have a nice chat and they just kept sarcastically answering, like "Wooow, sounds really cool. Oh, they do covers of dance songs, sounds amazing." I just walked off without saying anything. Absolutely boils my piss, these people who think they're the funniest bantz banterers the world has ever heard.

EDIT: also wish the phrase, "Young, dumb/fun, full of c*m" would just f**k off back to 2008 and die already.

Coldplay fans mate.

Something that doesn’t seem to have been discussed yet is if there really is as many people entering illegally as has been suggested then it isn’t a small operation and not implausible that there could be a fair few nefarious miscreants applying to volunteer at the festival with the sole aim of helping to ease the passage.🤷🏼‍♂️

My reaction from watching the video is that it showed that it is genuinely pretty difficult to get in. The idea that there are tens of thousands of spin ins is nonsense to me, a few thousand most likely but not more than that. Did meet a fair few who got in without a ticket this year, but I think they are still a tiny minority.

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Yeah, that was exactly my thoughts on it.

Probably not too tricky to make sure he was checking tickets (depending on supervisors and how persuasive he could be). But the shifts would be the problem. I suppose they could wait until he got his shifts on the midday and tell people to go to a certain gate at a certain time.

To really work it's need someone in Oxfam management involved to make sure he was on the correct gate/shifts.

Who is 'H'?

2 hours ago, incident said:

I guess that theoretically that could go unnoticed. For an hour or so, in the heart of the Wednesday AM rush. But it'd get noticed sooner or later and raise all kinds of questions..

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Yep, but you have to swap the whole pattern of shifts- you cant just swap one shift out.

So if you've been paid off by the nefarious yellow hatted mob and you want shift pattern A, and you've been allocated C, you would probably be able to find someone to swap your C for their A.

But you'd then have their shifts, wherever they happen to be. Relying on finding someone on gate A, with the desired pattern of shifts, and then getting them to swap - all while ensuring theyre not suspicious of you, and then mentioning you to Oxfam management (which i would be, i'd grass up anyone i thought was taking bribes, bollocks to them) is a lot of things to put in place. 

In theory I guess they'd just swap onto a gate A-D morning shift, last year I saw people offering up to £200 for that shift pattern. Mostly because they wanted to see Arctic Monkeys. 

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yup - agreed. From my POV the crowds were well managed this year.

Interesting to hear about the new crowd management company.  Think that's the first I've heard of it.

I saw the new company working at where West Holts goes into the Cabaret tent field keeping that crossroads by the toilets/Ridge and Furrow moving

18 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

In theory I guess they'd just swap onto a gate A-D morning shift, last year I saw people offering up to £200 for that shift pattern. Mostly because they wanted to see Arctic Monkeys. 

Yeah it seems fairly straightforward if the only reason you are there in the first place is to enable this scam, and are presumably being paid a few grand. You can find a convincing reason to swap to be on for one specific shift when the scam is going to be taking place. You're not also going to be fussed about missing Avril Lavigne.

3 minutes ago, dondo said:

I saw the new company working at where West Holts goes into the Cabaret tent field keeping that crossroads by the toilets/Ridge and Furrow moving

They managed the crowd at Avril Lavigne and did a good job there imo. Can you remember their name? I can picture their logo that was on the high vis in my head but I can’t remember the name, I think it began with a V? I’ve been trying to find them through googling but no luck. 

Im fairly certain they weren’t there last year or other years I’ve been. 

8 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

They managed the crowd at Avril Lavigne and did a good job there imo. Can you remember their name? I can picture their logo that was on the high vis in my head but I can’t remember the name, I think it began with a V? I’ve been trying to find them through googling but no luck. 

Im fairly certain they weren’t there last year or other years I’ve been. 

Yep. Started with a V but that's about as much I remember other than their high vis were light blue 

1 hour ago, Chip Batch said:

People paying a random to get in (by whatever means are looking at £500 plus, so even greater than the ticket price - more middle class if anything. Unless they genuinely know someone that can get them in as crew.

All the people I know of who broke in definitely would not have paid £500; I don't think they paid anything at all. I think most people in Bristol, Bath and Somerset etc know at least some people who work at the festival in some capacity and a lot of them use these connections to get broken in (probably for a smaller fee maximum £100). I think £500 is probably the break in RRP for paying a dodgy security guard who you have no prior relationship with to drive you in.