Sneaking in - Full Video

Jacko45

Well - I guess noone can say for sure - and a lot if this is based on vibes and gut feel.  But I guess the point was more that not all the people there without a ticket have chanced their arm going through the turnstiles from Wednesday. There are plenty of other ways and means that start before the gates open.

But in terms of my own personal preference I favour the festival clamping down on folk there without tickets rather than making it even more difficult for folk like myself to get a ticket.

But then - gut feel again - it felt much, much quieter this year.

[\pedantmode] A lot of people are saying that people getting in are illegal. They are not illegal but they are unlawful. They are breaking civil law not criminal law. [\pedantmode off]

It is a very important distinction. The last government made a point of describing asylum seekers as illegal. It is part of their demonisation of them. We should not fall into the same trap on here

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, tarw said:

[\pedantmode] A lot of people are saying that people getting in are illegal. They are not illegal but they are unlawful. They are breaking civil law not criminal law. [\pedantmode off]

It is a very important distinction. The last government made a point of describing asylum seekers as illegal. It is part of their demonisation of them. We should not fall into the same trap on here

tbh the word "unlawful" still sounds too dramatic

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I don't think we should get too het up about the synonymous meaning of words in everyday English.

Here are some synonyms for use 😅

And here are some of the synonyms for good. 
Angelic

innocent 

reputable

nice

exemplary

esteemed

Do they have the same strength?

1 hour ago, tarw said:

Angelic

innocent 

reputable

nice

exemplary

esteemed

Good is a very variable adjective depending on context. Could be about honesty, quality, behaviour.

Not a very angelic comparison 😉 

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Good is a very variable adjective depending on context. Could be about honesty, quality, behaviour.

Not a very angelic comparison 😉 

It was more a demonstration that synonyms can have widely differing meanings and implications. 
Word choice is important particularly when they act as dog whistles 

16 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Yes yes yes!!!

Man I loved that movie... Gonna have to watch it again soon. 

Edit: I couldn't turn it off... Next scene reminds me of some members here, and their opinions on Glastonbury... 🙈🙈😂😂

Edit Edit: What have you done... I'm supposed to be working!!! 🙈😂

The Human Traffic 25 year celebration in the Cornish Arms was one of the highlights of the festival. Started with Born Slippy and played loads from the soundtrack and from that era. 

4 minutes ago, wozwebs said:

The Human Traffic 25 year celebration in the Cornish Arms was one of the highlights of the festival. Started with Born Slippy and played loads from the soundtrack and from that era. 

ah, totally missed that, would have loved to have been there 🙂

I saw Human Traffic when it was previewed in the Cinema Field, had no idea what it was about, just had the title, but everyone loved it, got it on DVD and watch it often 🙂

11 minutes ago, tarw said:

It was more a demonstration that synonyms can have widely differing meanings and implications. 
Word choice is important particularly when they act as dog whistles 

I know, I know, I totally get it. Words have meanings. But these influencer bellends breaking into the festival unlawfully/illegally/illicitly/illegitimately... in everyday parlance I'd say they're more or less the same. I don't think they need to be defended like, or compared, to desperate souls who traverse the English Channel in search of better lives.

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I know, I know, I totally get it. Words have meanings. But these influencer bellends breaking into the festival unlawfully/illegally/illicitly/illegitimately... in everyday parlance I'd say they're more or less the same. I don't think they need to be defended like, or compared, to desperate souls who traverse the English Channel in search of better lives.

I’m totally with you on the YouTube content getters, people making £thousands on getting people in on a large scale charging Camp Kerala prices.   They are probably illegal from the way that they operate. 
To brand everyone who gets in without a wristband as illegal is demonising. We have heard of bands playing who need to smuggle in some band members in order to play. 
For the record I have never been spun in or spun anyone else in. 

55 minutes ago, wozwebs said:

IMG_5012.mov

I  wanted to drop in but didn't make it to so would be interested to see your video - it says it isn't available though. 

49 minutes ago, tarw said:

I’m totally with you on the YouTube content getters, people making £thousands on getting people in on a large scale charging Camp Kerala prices.   They are probably illegal from the way that they operate. 
To brand everyone who gets in without a wristband as illegal is demonising. We have heard of bands playing who need to smuggle in some band members in order to play. 
For the record I have never been spun in or spun anyone else in. 

Okay, I was just focusing on the ones like in the video. If bands are smuggling in people just to have a full band that just seems messed up. Don't the festival just allow all band members a pass? Seems counterproductive if they didn't.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wozwebs said:

IMG_5012.mov

This sounds incredible. Do you have a link to the video because it's also not working for me?

3 hours ago, tarw said:

Angelic

innocent 

reputable

nice

exemplary

esteemed

No they don't

3341129529-2179246757.jpg.webp

1 hour ago, tarw said:

Yeah, it's not illegal to sneak in. It probably is illegal to sell people a route in, though not 100% sure.

I was just going through some old messages on my phone and back in 2017 which was the only other year in recent times I've failed to get a ticket I was offered a couple of ways in. A crew wristband was going to cost me around 500 quid even back then but I was also offered a spin in for 150.

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Okay, I was just focusing on the ones like in the video. If bands are smuggling in people just to have a full band that just seems messed up. Don't the festival just allow all band members a pass? Seems counterproductive if they didn't.

Yes a lot of things about Glastonbury look “messed up” at first sight. There is almost always a very good reason for doing it that way. With 100+ stages that’s a lot of musicians, even if there are a lot of one person and their guitar. Some will manage to get their own ticket and play for free hoping the exposure will be worth it. Some will be given a wristband and some will be given wristband + expenses/fees. Some will be given extra wristbands for their engineers, roadies, hairdressers or therapists depending on their level. 
All of these wristbands come from the “crew” allocation. Hospitality tickets also count as crew. 
With some bands only getting one or two wristbands per stage (or even having to agree to play multiple stages for one) they might not always have enough. 

On 7/11/2024 at 11:39 AM, tomf3 said:

I wonder if it'll have any bearing on Melvin Benn's appointment as Event Controller as would have thought this definitely falls within his remit, and from what I can see it's gotten worse every year since. Aside from gigs being closed down I noticed an increase in the railway track being closed making it really annoying when you're trying to get back to your camp and you can't.   

I think things like the railway way being shut are actually signs of good crowd management. I only ever experienced the effects of crowd management, having to go different routes, stages shut etc. it felt a lot more interventionist this year but I never experienced any bad crowd crushes. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I think things like the railway way being shut are actually signs of good crowd management. I only ever experienced the effects of crowd management, having to go different routes, stages shut etc. it felt a lot more interventionist this year but I never experienced any bad crowd crushes. 

Thats exactly it, and i know a lot of the team personally, and they are some of the best in the business.