Sneaking in - Full Video

Jacko45

9 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's been mentioned on here before. Something along the lines of Michael actually liking the rebellious spirit of it

And not just Michael. We've all read the twix story and others and mostly they're not condemned, but well received.

Altho, I agree with what others have said, bribing people isn't exactly sneaking in, and it's bad vibes to then show people's faces to millions on YouTube.

So it seems if you obtain the extra lost ticket wristband you are only questioned about it on the first time you enter the site. Surely anybody entering the site on a Sat night with these wristbands is a major red flag.

I feel the normal ticket / passout system is ok for the regular punter. But if you have "lost" your ticket the re-entry process needs to be much more strict, issue them with an epo band that must be scanned on exit to allow re-entry, someone who has genuinely lost their ticket will make sure this happens so they won't have to go through the questioning process again (chances are they wont try to leave the site and will be grateful that they are in) If that wristband wasn't scanned on exit, they must go back through the questioning process.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The odd one, sure, but are they really OK with up to (say) 30,000 extra people being onsite - in what's a clear breach of the license.

If so it's not clear from the OP video which makes it look like an absolute ball-ache to get in without a ticket.

I think they are probably more accepting of it than many events (e.g. Reading, Leeds) and it has been a big part of Glastonbury's history. Maybe they also view it that it helps stop the crowd becoming solely middle class + crew, as a lot of the people who break in are probably the types of people who supported it in the earlier days before it was so mainstream. That said, if it's significantly impacting on people being able to enjoy the event and creating potentially dangerous situations, surely that should take precedent. 

19 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I'm with Mark, the amount of people that try and help them in that video, only to be shown on camera, is disgusting. So much for loyalty amongst thieves huh (or even common decency!!! dodgy or not, if somebody bends the rules to help you, you don't drop them in the s*** like that.) 

It's happening, all of the time... Spin ins were working well this year, I am in various different groups with lots of people who got spun in... Those who've been saying it's a myth the last few years are very much out of touch. I've been around here for only a few years, and I'm 100% confident I could buy my way in if I didn't get tickets.  

What is a spin in?

The current entry process does feel a bit archaic in 2024. Little bits of paper to gain re-entry, wristbands without digital scanning, relying on manual viewing of images on tickets, "interviews" for lost tickets. Again, it's another subject that's been discussed ad nauseum on here but I really don't think we can be having a conversation about overcrowding until we understand firstly how many people do get in illegally and secondly, tightening up the process of genuine entry using better technology. Does one offset the other? 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The odd one, sure, but are they really OK with up to (say) 30,000 extra people being onsite - in what's a clear breach of the license.

If so it's not clear from the OP video which makes it look like an absolute ball-ache to get in without a ticket.

I will say that this route in did take some coordination and time, but there are much easier methods of getting in. They do rely on familiarity with the site layout and the people in those areas though

16 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Haven't watched and not going to based on what others have said about them. Can't stand this current breed of influencers/content creators, whatever they're classed as.  Rude and obnoxious pricks mostly, thinking they're the bees knees because the brain dead feed their egos with likes and views. 

Anyways, as others have said, these people are just putting the festival at risk. I daresay Glastonbury have it written into their logistics a certain number freeloaders sneaking in and that's taken into account with capacity plans. However, the more these type of people film it, upload it and get engagement in doing so, the more will try it and that's where the problem really begins when it gets out of control and the safety of others becomes a risk. 

It's the entitlement that gets me. I want to be there so I will be there regardless of how it impacts others.

Was reading this thread thinking of my reply, but now don't need to type, as EXACTLY THIS!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I really don't think we can be having a conversation about overcrowding until we understand firstly how many people do get in illegally and secondly, tightening up the process of genuine entry using better technology.

100%. 

35 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

What is a spin in?

In a nutshell it is basically people getting in with legitimate wristbands, then these being removed by someone who leaves the site with said wristbands and gives them to a ticketless group outside to be 'spun in'. Technically the process can be repeated over and over again.

Not sure if the back of a van trick counts as a spin in though.

33 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

In a nutshell it is basically people getting in with legitimate wristbands, then these being removed by someone who leaves the site with said wristbands and gives them to a ticketless group outside to be 'spun in'. Technically the process can be repeated over and over again.

Not sure if the back of a van trick counts as a spin in though.

I’ve misunderstood the term then, my apologies. I thought ‘spin in’ referred to paying somebody on site to get you, including in the back of the landrover. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The current entry process does feel a bit archaic in 2024. Little bits of paper to gain re-entry, wristbands without digital scanning, relying on manual viewing of images on tickets, "interviews" for lost tickets. Again, it's another subject that's been discussed ad nauseum on here but I really don't think we can be having a conversation about overcrowding until we understand firstly how many people do get in illegally and secondly, tightening up the process of genuine entry using better technology. Does one offset the other? 

43 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah how on earth are they not using phones and QR codes or whatever in 2024. It's mad.

We've said before on here, EPO scanning of wristbands in and out was due to be rolled out in 2020, after being successfully trialled with crew.  Current EPO scan doesn't show an image of the ticket holder, but apparently once that's sorted it will be rolled out to everyone. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I’ve misunderstood the term then, my apologies. I thought ‘spin in’ referred to paying somebody on site to get you, including in the back of the landrover. 

Don't think you're alone mate. "Spin ins" involve a vehicle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Current EPO scan doesn't show an image of the ticket holder, but apparently once that's sorted it will be rolled out to everyone. 

The one being used on the “build and break” wrist bands (additional to general crew bands, pre Sunday before entry) showed an image of the holder and which crew list you were on. 

The impression I got from watching the video is that fence jumping or talking your way past security / stewards is basically impossible and the only way in is with help from someone on the inside that has site access, and it’s going to cost you, likely more than a ticket. 

The festival probably could use a more technologically advanced system for ticketing / entry / re entry but the problem highlighted in the video is people working the festival that are prepared to take money for spinning people in one way or another.

Considering the scale of the event and how many people are required to make it run I’m not sure what the festival organisers can do about that. They have no choice but outsource loads of that work to contractors and then just trust them. 

I personally don’t believe that there’s 10k + people getting spun in like that but who knows. 

When the Oxfam volunteers are turning up to a gate, a proper pedestrian gate A-D, there's no way of knowing which job you'll be allocated ahead of time. So this idea of 'heading to the bloke with the yellow hat' is slightly unbelievable because that bloke with the yellow hat who's been paid off and isnt checking tickets properly, could be given a little box and told to take numbers of people leaving the festival site. Or he might be by the front of the gate sifting re-entry from first timers. Or he might be on the ticket checking bit and then get rotated out after an hour or two. There's loads of roles for the volunteers to undertake and only a finite amount of them are going to be 'useful'. Plus the yellow hat man wouldnt have known which gate and shifts he'd be working at until the monday before the festival, so then had to be identified and bribed? 

Its so open to the vagaries of the changing demands of that volunteering role, i dunno, it doesnt have the ring of truth to me. 

16 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

That fits in with what I'd read, though I didn't know about the second bloke.

People drove down (4 hours), queued up (3 hours) and when they got there, the guy in the hat was gone. They phoned the contact who just told them where to go to get a refund.

I got caught in that same queue nightmare that you did at Gate A on the Weds morning.

There was a couple in front of me for the entire duration (5 hours!)....not long before we got to the front of the queue the girl started shaking quite badly...I initially thought she was having some sort of fit or funny turn because of the heat,  but she then said to her boyfriend 'I'm really scared i don't know if I can do this'

Not long after he pulled out two wristbands from his pocket and they then put them on....he then had what looked like to be two tickets in his hand but all I saw was the envelope so not exactly sure if they were or if it was cash to hand to someone on the gate.

When we got to the security check he bolted for the one with the quietest queue and then got into the queue for the wristband exchange and at that point we went separate ways and I didn't see them again after that.

I actually couldn't really work out what was truly going on or what their scam (if there was one) was.....

I honestly can imagine the festival just accepting that possibly thousands gain entry without legitimate tickets and treating it as part and parcel of the event.  There must be a post festival security audit and shortcomings actioned.  The solution lies with better technological advanced scanning. 
on a lighter note, it’s been a few years since someone at the gates tugged my wristband to make sure it’s not been tampered with. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Imagine the carnage if the system went down at 8 o'clock on Wednesday morning

it happened at boomtown a few years back - everyone stuck outside for most of the first day! 

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

When the Oxfam volunteers are turning up to a gate, a proper pedestrian gate A-D, there's no way of knowing which job you'll be allocated ahead of time. So this idea of 'heading to the bloke with the yellow hat' is slightly unbelievable because that bloke with the yellow hat who's been paid off and isnt checking tickets properly, could be given a little box and told to take numbers of people leaving the festival site. Or he might be by the front of the gate sifting re-entry from first timers. Or he might be on the ticket checking bit and then get rotated out after an hour or two. There's loads of roles for the volunteers to undertake and only a finite amount of them are going to be 'useful'. Plus the yellow hat man wouldnt have known which gate and shifts he'd be working at until the monday before the festival, so then had to be identified and bribed? 

Its so open to the vagaries of the changing demands of that volunteering role, i dunno, it doesnt have the ring of truth to me. 

Yeah, that was exactly my thoughts on it.

Probably not too tricky to make sure he was checking tickets (depending on supervisors and how persuasive he could be). But the shifts would be the problem. I suppose they could wait until he got his shifts on the midday and tell people to go to a certain gate at a certain time.

To really work it's need someone in Oxfam management involved to make sure he was on the correct gate/shifts.

Who is 'H'?