Bicep, what happened?

Franky

So thanks to my very old nate from school and her 13 year old daughter I made it to Bicep 😃 Woohoo

I was pretty much done at Skindred but I had begged them to ignore whatever I said and drag me to Bicep and they did!!! However, we put a 3 track rules down and then off, but after 3 tracks they dropped Opal and we stayed for that lol Now I had no idea about this until the next morning but apparently as we were leaving after Opal it got closed down? I was wayyyy to spangled to remeber this lol

Soooooo, What happened?

Cheers

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Someone in the crowd had a seizure and they had to pause it to get the medics access to the casualty.

Oh sh*t really, I hope they are okay. I assumed crushing by the tale I was told in themorning but then it didn't seem dangerous where we were. So that would make sense.

I wasn't there- but this is everything I've seen/heard about it, with sources where applicable. 

I've seen a tiktok of the guys doing the vfx saying there was a show stop due to "35,000 people turning up", capacity IIcon is ~15,000. 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeGuxNsm/

Also seen volunteer stewards for SE corner say online variously that "90,000 people" or "half the festival" went through SE corner on Friday night. (Over the whole night not just for bicep)

So it was already very busy that iicon field was closed, there are videos of people waiting outside the late night entrance with the signs saying iicon was full. Then it's been said here and elsewhere they they had a medical in the crowd and/or a localised dense crush that caused a show stop and them asking people to take 3 steps back. 

Edited by Leyrulion

The back of the field must have been dense.   Especially with the loo queue's.  We got there 3 mins before and front right ish there was plenty of space.   After the stoppage,  3 steps back x 2.  Then a 15 min with loads leaving.  Take 3 steps forward and tonnes of room.  a fantastic set 

people camping behind me were right next to the person, they had a seizure. 

so proud of the people who were there who took 3 steps back on Q , 3 times. fair play considering the state of everyone. 

5 hours ago, TiZuff said:

people camping behind me were right next to the person, they had a seizure. 

so proud of the people who were there who took 3 steps back on Q , 3 times. fair play considering the state of everyone. 

Must have been so worrying when the sound dropped though. Fair play to everyone who was spangled, in the dark, having a normal night, who did as they were asked.

7 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Was this Bicep's Chroma dj set or doing their own stuff in the end?

Chroma AV - which includes some of their own stuff but mostly not theirs

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Chroma AV - which includes some of their own stuff but mostly not theirs

Thanks, I ask because I noticed they are doing Chroma at Boardmasters next month but it doesn't look like they are headlining. How would this go down in daylight?

38 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Thanks, I ask because I noticed they are doing Chroma at Boardmasters next month but it doesn't look like they are headlining. How would this go down in daylight?

have a look at their reading 2023 set

They would be rammed in the tent so subbing is the only feasible slot i guess

21 hours ago, gfa said:

have a look at their reading 2023 set

They would be rammed in the tent so subbing is the only feasible slot i guess

Thanks, I know that the visual aspect is a big thing especially in the dark. I just can’t imagine how well it would go down when it was still daylight.

On 7/8/2024 at 9:22 PM, Leyrulion said:

Also seen volunteer stewards for SE corner say online variously that "90,000 people" or "half the festival" went through SE corner on Friday night. (Over the whole night not just for bicep)

Jesus.

5 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Thanks, I know that the visual aspect is a big thing especially in the dark. I just can’t imagine how well it would go down when it was still daylight.

Probably sh*t yep

We were there about 15 mins before the start and it was busy but you could get in by the bars.

Then our mates started f**king about and we ended up going to the toilets then going to get back in just after starting. Couldnt get closer than the sound stage and the sound was awful so got off.

At that stage I'd say it seemed v busy but absolutely not mayhem but the crowd was defo encroaching into the thoroughfare.

When we left SEC there were loads of people still arriving mind.

12 hours ago, Nduja said:

We were there about 15 mins before the start and it was busy but you could get in by the bars.

Then our mates started f**king about and we ended up going to the toilets then going to get back in just after starting. Couldnt get closer than the sound stage and the sound was awful so got off.

At that stage I'd say it seemed v busy but absolutely not mayhem but the crowd was defo encroaching into the thoroughfare.

If your mate needed to go to the toilet why did you all have to go?

12 hours ago, Nduja said:

They shut the entrance for most of the set.

IICON is the one field they just cannot fill under any circumstances - it literally cuts off the way into the SEC which messes everywhere up and leaves many stranded.

15 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

TBF I don't know if those numbers are necessarily exceptional for the area. 

I think they definitely are. The more I read about the experiences this year the more I realise that Shangri-La was the headliner itself, no matter who was playing. 

22 minutes ago, Risingson2 said:

I think they definitely are. The more I read about the experiences this year the more I realise that Shangri-La was the headliner itself, no matter who was playing. 

I'd disagree with this. They were definitely more active trying to control flows this year.