Singing / performing live (or not)

soundofeverything

17 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Perhaps relevant to the discussion. The Secret DJ having a dig at FBS.

https://x.com/SecretDJBook/status/1810948935378248023?t=RqQt0i8xSa4mtqoRauo7tw&s=19

(Side note: How do you get tweets to embed?, it used to do it automatically)

TBF when it comes to dj's my issue is always that I would have no idea what was being done live or not although maybe we are now entering the age where it's not an issue what people do but there needs to be transparency about it.

I don't particularly like the guy in the video and the way he goes about it but I slightly understand the point of saying yes you ma have thought Cyndi didn't sound as good but at least everything she was doing was live in front of you whereas of course some people when they can utilise technology to motigate risk of anything going wrong.

Not sure how it would work for a festival but maybe for gigs/concerts you could advertise what will be live and what technology will be used. In the same way that I would be in favour of images that are photoshopped/filtered being advertised as such as they do give unrealistic standards to others.

18 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Perhaps relevant to the discussion. The Secret DJ having a dig at FBS.

https://x.com/SecretDJBook/status/1810948935378248023?t=RqQt0i8xSa4mtqoRauo7tw&s=19

(Side note: How do you get tweets to embed?, it used to do it automatically)

replace the x.com in the Url with twitter.com ..... think that should still work , think its a musk think rather than a forum issue ? Maybe @eFestivals  needs to update something though ? 

Edited by Crazyfool01

Some acts (DJ's esp) you just expect it to be pre-programmed and on rails.  Get that.  However if it's a full "live" band on stage with a singer and also possibly backing vocalists I feel a bit cheated when it's obviously mimed or at least heavily supported by a backing track from the original recording.  I'm more entertained by a great sounding, tight band nailing something with flourishes and twists than I am by dance routines and huge light shows over what is basically the studio recorded version.  It's one of the main reasons I've always been so critical of Madonna - she can't sing, it's all show, no substance.

One of the performances of the weekend for me was Black Pumas.  No fluff or cheats present there.  Just a f**king great band, tight as a drum, smashing it and a frontman with buckets of talent and charisma.  Loved it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Some acts (DJ's esp) you just expect it to be pre-programmed and on rails.  Get that.  However if it's a full "live" band on stage with a singer and also possibly backing vocalists I feel a bit cheated when it's obviously mimed or at least heavily supported by a backing track from the original recording.  I'm more entertained by a great sounding, tight band nailing something with flourishes and twists than I am by dance routines and huge light shows over what is basically the studio recorded version.  It's one of the main reasons I've always been so critical of Madonna - she can't sing, it's all show, no substance.

One of the performances of the weekend for me was Black Pumas.  No fluff or cheats present there.  Just a f**king great band, tight as a drum, smashing it and a frontman with buckets of talent and charisma.  Loved it.

Bang on Black Pumas were ace apart from the lady singer thinking she was in Scotland 😁

Another dude with a tremendous voice was Jalen Ngonda! 

Hadn’t watched Dua Lipa so doing it now. She’s clearly singing live, WTF is that guy on about?  That plus all the dancing, she’s putting a proper shift in. At worst there’s a backing track to chorus it up in places but that’s it.

Not really my kind of show - too choreographed and, well, slick for my taste - but damn impressive nonetheless. The disco lights and dry ice on the repeater towers a great touch.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Walter Sobchak said:

Bang on Black Pumas were ace apart from the lady singer thinking she was in Scotland 😁

Another dude with a tremendous voice was Jalen Ngonda! 

My overriding regret this year is that I hadn’t discovered Jalen Ngonda until I got back! How he’s flown under my radar I’ve no idea. Great, soulful songs and your right, that voice. Spine tingling.

10 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

My overriding regret this year is that I hadn’t discovered Jalen Ngonda until I got back! How he’s flown under my radar I’ve no idea. Great, soulful songs and your right, that voice. Spine tingling.

He's on tour at the moment - might be a gig near you?

(saw him last night in Edinburgh)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He's on tour at the moment - might be a gig near you?

(saw him last night in Edinburgh)

I’d already looked. After the summer fests he’s off to the States but back next Spring. Will bag some tickets for Manchester in March 25. Albert Hall. Is that all seated does anyone know?

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I’d already looked. After the summer fests he’s off to the States but back next Spring. Will bag some tickets for Manchester in March 25. Albert Hall. Is that all seated does anyone know?

Usually standing downstairs. Lovely venue.

I don't mind too much TBH. Guess it's harder to tour with a full band etc nowadays. Saw Remi Wolf and just drums and guitar with everything else on backing track. Maybe a bit different for a festival but if you paid money for a tour show you might be a bit peeved.

Remember seeing a video of Yungblood in the Woodsies from a while back a he was going for it on the guitar and then started jumping about and the guitar magically carried on playing on its own!

Edited by rubenz

15 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

They sounded great, as you've obviously seen, but as with some other things on larger stages early in the day (with no screens and lots wandering past) they didn't get the engagement they deserved. 

16 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

He was fantastic, Holts really did carry the festival this year.

When I see a band live, I want to hear the flaws, the bum notes and the ad-libs!
That said, I think Confidence Man as brilliant and can't really see they could be that active on stage and not be panting away into the mic half the time, so I guess for me it depends on the act. 

8 minutes ago, Woz101 said:

When I see a band live, I want to hear the flaws, the bum notes and the ad-libs!
That said, I think Confidence Man as brilliant and can't really see they could be that active on stage and not be panting away into the mic half the time, so I guess for me it depends on the act

100%. With an act like Confidence Man, you know what you’re getting. With a DJ or electronic act to a degree, likewise.

If you rock up to see an old rock act for instance and they were clearly miming or had backing tracks with the live instruments low in the mix, I’d be furious.

I think there’s an implied contract with the audience that they’ll get what they paid for and expect. If you break that, that’s when it feels a bit sh*t.

I recently watched a behind the scenes doc on the Take That tour, where there interviewed the sound engineers, musicians etc. In essence they were playing virtually all of it live, with some bits added in that you couldn't easily do live like strings and some background vocals. Although they did say that if, for example, Gary Barlow had a problem with his voice one night instead of cancelling the show they could patch in his voice and he would mime, so they could go ahead with that night. It seemed to me they were doing their best to put on a live show and I don't have a problem with the enhancements, especially given that is standard practice in the current live music scene. 

However, if a band or singer was primarily relying on backing tracks and pre recorded vocals, as a means of doing a competent live performance then I don't feel that's ok. Where the line is between acceptable enhancements and a show that is mostly miming is a difficult one. 

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

The Who mix in stuff from previous shows, don't they? Sure I read that somewhere

U2 have always had keyboard/laptop boffins "under the stage". When I saw Fleetwood Mac, Mick had an additional drummer (!) playing along under the stage out of sight.