Glastonbury Festival goers used record amount of Data

Crazyfool01

IMG_5200.thumb.jpg.cdca3204c45e455e3ded399e6e2bf15d.jpg

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Someone once told me the free program had some sort of tax benefit. I can't remember the specifics but something to do with it being included in the ticket price but having a cash value so it somehow reduces the tax paid? Could be nonsense but it made sense at the time.

Anyway... for someone who posts about the festival on social media rather a lot, other than using my phone as a camera, I don't use my phone much while actually there. Less than 10 tweets a day (including replies and retweets) and nothing on any other platforms, for me that's practically radio silence. However, the signal from 3 was a million times better than in previous years. 

Some serious waste going on. From 7 days after the festival 

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The only thing I used the lanyard for was utilising the plastic pouch to pick out the crap from under my nails.

William of Walworth would be furious about it - he kept his king size rizla in his

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Did they not remove pouches last year ? 

Not sure as I was working so didn’t get one. I know they used hessian pouches one year but then went back to plastic I think 

19 minutes ago, august1 said:

IMG_5200.thumb.jpg.cdca3204c45e455e3ded399e6e2bf15d.jpg

Some serious waste going on. From 7 days after the festival 

Same every year. I guess they have to print one per ticket sold just in case (and for the tax dodge mentioned earlier if that is a thing) but a lot of people don't want them or might take one per group

23 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Same every year. I guess they have to print one per ticket sold just in case (and for the tax dodge mentioned earlier if that is a thing) but a lot of people don't want them or might take one per group

When we went in on Wednesday and picked up a programme and bag the person in front of me was outraged that as some sort of worker (I didn't know what sort) he couldn't get one immediately and was told to come back on day x. 

Much of the 33% increase is likely to do with the growth of Tiktok. Its video based so uses significantly more data than say instagram

I saw someone indulging in a spot of what I can only presume was influencing at Bearded Theory. 

Girl and lad walking past a tent. She hands him the phone and he films her walking in. She pauses, then starts to "rock out" to the band that were on, turns round, looks surprised that she's being filmed, gives a fee poses. He then stops filming and she takes the phone back off him to check his handy work is up to scratch, she looks happy and they walk off. 

I guess on their video it would have looked like she'd discovered a new act that she loved while passing the tent. In reality, they couldn't give a sh*t. But I guess it works for them, they were probably there on a gifted ticket, staying in a gifted yurt, wearing gifted wellies.

wild thought - i think the reason why people are using their phones so much is cos the reception has been so much better on site this year! I didn't get tickets for 2023, but the difference between 2022 and this year has been immense! previously, whatsapp messages would take hours to get through, but this year, reception has been seamless, and we even managed to stream parts of the football!

Whilst phone use may impact the festival, and it will feel different from how it was back in xyz year, it really is just a sign of the times! and let's face it, when people get starry-eyed depending on the time of the day, it will be impossible to look at the phone screen anyway! (part of the reason why i missed the programmes on paper :D)

2 minutes ago, oysterboy said:

wild thought - i think the reason why people are using their phones so much is cos the reception has been so much better on site this year! I didn't get tickets for 2023, but the difference between 2022 and this year has been immense! previously, whatsapp messages would take hours to get through, but this year, reception has been seamless, and we even managed to stream parts of the football!

Whilst phone use may impact the festival, and it will feel different from how it was back in xyz year, it really is just a sign of the times! and let's face it, when people get starry-eyed depending on the time of the day, it will be impossible to look at the phone screen anyway! (part of the reason why i missed the programmes on paper :D)

O2 has entered the chat..🤣

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I saw someone indulging in a spot of what I can only presume was influencing at Bearded Theory. 

Girl and lad walking past a tent. She hands him the phone and he films her walking in. She pauses, then starts to "rock out" to the band that were on, turns round, looks surprised that she's being filmed, gives a fee poses. He then stops filming and she takes the phone back off him to check his handy work is up to scratch, she looks happy and they walk off. 

I guess on their video it would have looked like she'd discovered a new act that she loved while passing the tent. In reality, they couldn't give a sh*t. But I guess it works for them, they were probably there on a gifted ticket, staying in a gifted yurt, wearing gifted wellies.

I live in a constant state of bewilderment that 'Influencer' and 'Content Creator' are considered jobs.

3 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

I live in a constant state of bewilderment that 'Influencer' and 'Content Creator' are considered jobs.

There have always been jobs that perplexed others (indeed Douglas Adams had a whole section about non-jobs didn't he?).   

In most cases I'm sure far less do it successfully than try and fail. 

32 minutes ago, oysterboy said:

Yes - the usage has changed, but so has the capability and those on other networks knew they could get a sim on the VF network (and it's piggyback) in advance or on site

Edited by clarkete

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

There have always been jobs that perplexed others (indeed Douglas Adams had a whole section about non-jobs didn't he?).   

In most cases I'm sure far less do it successfully than try and fail. 

Indeed. One of my favourites from Douglas Adams is rather apt at the moment...

"anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

I mean they make things people watch/read.

Far more comprehensible to me than a lot of jobs!

7 hours ago, oysterboy said:

vodafone you mean? 😉

Nah I'm pretty sure that was a joke about the fact that O2 signal has been notoriously crap on site for a good few years now

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2024 at 9:23 AM, Gnomicide said:

See a lot of that sort of crap at football as well now...especially when I was out in Germany for the Euros the last few weeks.

I got a last minute ticket for the final on Sunday and I went in early to the ground and was constantly dodging around people filming either themselves or someone they were with doing silly poses, filming themselves entering the stadium, getting a drink etc.

Whilst we were at Brandenburg Gate for a short while there was a constant stream of young women with someone filming them trying to get the perfect shot of them in front of it.....all filming it on iPhones so clearly just amateur YouTube vloggers.

The world is changing! 

23 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

See a lot of that sort of crap at football as well now...especially when I was out in Germany for the Euros the last few weeks.

I got a last minute ticket for the final on Sunday and I went in early to the ground and was constantly dodging around people filming either themselves or someone they were with doing silly poses, filming themselves entering the stadium, getting a drink etc.

Whilst we were at Brandenburg Gate for a short while there was a constant stream of young women with someone filming them trying to get the perfect shot of them in front of it.....all filming it on iPhones so clearly just amateur YouTube vloggers.

The world is changing! 

I'm as guilty as anyone of filming little bits at Glastonbury, though I never include myself in it. If I want to look at an event, I want to see what was happening, not the person who was filming it. Maybe that's just me.

I filmed a little bit here and there. Maybe 15 minutes across the entire weekend. Watched it back over the weekend and it was great fun. Holiday snaps and vids.

But yeah, kid beside me at Coldplay, maybe 16, spent the entire gig with his phone in his hand filming. Not even zoomed in or anything. 

I wonder is the data incease due to the fact that you can send HD photos and vids on whatsapp now. Can make the file size up to 6 times larger.

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I filmed a little bit here and there. Maybe 15 minutes across the entire weekend. Watched it back over the weekend and it was great fun. Holiday snaps and vids.

Yup, I do upload my compilation of all the little clips I film to YouTube but it's mainly a nice reminder for myself, I watch them back quite often. They're between 10 and 20 minutes long, not bad for 5 days worth of stuff. 

18 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm as guilty as anyone of filming little bits at Glastonbury, though I never include myself in it. If I want to look at an event, I want to see what was happening, not the person who was filming it. Maybe that's just me.

It's always pointed out to me that I'm never in my photos from say holidays or hiking.

I just don't see my mug improving a shot of a  mountain or waterfall or cathedral or whatever. "But it shows you were there". I know I was there. I took the bloody photo!

• Upvote 1