Glastonbury Festival goers used record amount of Data

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

It's always pointed out to me that I'm never in my photos from say holidays or hiking.

I just don't see my mug improving a shot of a  mountain or waterfall or cathedral or whatever. "But it shows you were there". I know I was there. I took the bloody photo!

😄

We recently received a gift of a framed photo of the Mrs and kids at a wedding we all went to. All anyone says is "where were you?" I was taking the photo!

17 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Yup, I do upload my compilation of all the little clips I film to YouTube but it's mainly a nice reminder for myself, I watch them back quite often. They're between 10 and 20 minutes long, not bad for 5 days worth of stuff. 

That sounds like a pattern......

30 minutes ago, The Nal said:

That sounds like a pattern......

Watching a few back to back makes me realise how much of the same stuff I do every year, just with (mostly) different acts inbetween. 

19 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Watching a few back to back makes me realise how much of the same stuff I do every year, just with (mostly) different acts inbetween. 

3 or 4 times Mrs Nal said "Oh I forgot about that!". 

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

I filmed a little bit here and there. Maybe 15 minutes across the entire weekend. Watched it back over the weekend and it was great fun. Holiday snaps and vids.

But yeah, kid beside me at Coldplay, maybe 16, spent the entire gig with his phone in his hand filming. Not even zoomed in or anything. 

I wonder is the data incease due to the fact that you can send HD photos and vids on whatsapp now. Can make the file size up to 6 times larger.

Probably also things like auto backup to Google Drive of all the crap videos too.

On 7/11/2024 at 5:14 PM, philipsteak said:

Same every year. I guess they have to print one per ticket sold just in case (and for the tax dodge mentioned earlier if that is a thing) but a lot of people don't want them or might take one per group

This has to be one of the easiest solved waste issues. Enable everyone to have a PDF copy, and those who want paper copy, let them tick a box to request it and it be sent by post after the festival. That way its less chance of being ruined on a wet year, and a nice Glasto thing to enjoy when you get home. 

6 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Probably also things like auto backup to Google Drive of all the crap videos too.

The default is for whatsapp to not include videos and not backup over cellular, the latter should be the same on google drive too.

10 hours ago, Spindles said:

I like the idea, as suggested, that both the programme and the mini-guide could be additional items we add to the order at the time of purchasing a ticket, like the carpark pass.  This would help prevent situations like the picture of the pallet of unused programmes.

On 7/11/2024 at 4:53 PM, august1 said:

IMG_5200.thumb.jpg.cdca3204c45e455e3ded399e6e2bf15d.jpg

Some serious waste going on. From 7 days after the festival 

It's been a thing for years. I'm presuming that's just one gate's worth? Clever piece of tax avoidance imo if what has been said is correct.

So that's why the cover price is £30!

Hopefully a bit of that saving goes toward keeping ticket prices down.

Can't believe that, given the efficiency of the litter clean up crews this year, that those are all still sitting there a week after the festival. Guess they all went home. (OI! You missed a bit!).

On 7/11/2024 at 5:40 PM, clarkete said:

When we went in on Wednesday and picked up a programme and bag the person in front of me was outraged that as some sort of worker (I didn't know what sort) he couldn't get one immediately and was told to come back on day x. 

Was that Gate C? I'm always slightly miffed about that whenever I volunteer, as I know that they always have literally tons left over. I'm sure they must have been told to clock wristbands surreptitiously for chancers like me on entry day. Or the direction I enter from more like.

Hey. They're £30 a pop (apparently) them programmes . Can't be giving them away for free now can they.

"Come back Sunday" I think I was told. Well. I know that 'cause there are always unguarded pallets like that eventually, though I generally find a lost/abandoned one before resorting to that.

£30 times that many. How much do reckon that is in cover price from that photo?

18 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

See a lot of that sort of crap at football as well now...especially when I was out in Germany for the Euros the last few weeks.

I got a last minute ticket for the final on Sunday and I went in early to the ground and was constantly dodging around people filming either themselves or someone they were with doing silly poses, filming themselves entering the stadium, getting a drink etc.

Whilst we were at Brandenburg Gate for a short while there was a constant stream of young women with someone filming them trying to get the perfect shot of them in front of it.....all filming it on iPhones so clearly just amateur YouTube vloggers.

The world is changing! 

I 'member the late 80's trope of "aren't Japanese tourists funny for constantly photographing absolutely everything all of the time and having at least two cameras around their necks constantly".

Maybe we're just catching up?

Clive James made us laugh at random foreigners for eating insects on TV and now we have politicians doing it for likes thirty years later.

14 hours ago, clarkete said:

The default is for whatsapp to not include videos and not backup over cellular, the latter should be the same on google drive too.

Which the kids turn straight off if they get a plan with unlimited data. Which they do.

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

So that's why the cover price is £30!

£12 is what's printed on this years programme (down from £15 last year).

Which equates to £2 per person "saved" in VAT this year - so at least £270,000 total, probably more assuming they also give out programmes with Sunday and Hospitality tickets.

So as a very simplistic way of looking at it, if the cost of producing it stays below that (which it should), then they're ahead.

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Was that Gate C? I'm always slightly miffed about that whenever I volunteer, as I know that they always have literally tons left over. I'm sure they must have been told to clock wristbands surreptitiously for chancers like me on entry day. Or the direction I enter from more like.

"Come back Sunday" I think I was told. Well. I know that 'cause there are always unguarded pallets like that eventually, though I generally find a lost/abandoned one before resorting to that.

Clive James made us laugh at random foreigners for eating insects on TV and now we have politicians doing it for likes thirty years later.

Yes it was C and tbh that sounds verbatim like what I overheard - if you stalked me I'm sorry I'm not more interesting 😉

You're right that good travelogues today are quite different, but there was a lot of his stuff which approached destinations with an open and inquisitive perspective and he was a bloody funny writer. 

I didn’t used to record much at festivals or gigs because the footage always looked and sounded crap. But new phones capture such good footage now that I think I probably do it more. At Bicep on iicon I stood in front of the sound desk and recorded about a minute of footage and it looks and sounds amazing even on a 4k TV. My iPhone isn’t even the newest one I think I’m two generations behind. 

On 7/16/2024 at 8:54 AM, gfa said:

Much of the 33% increase is likely to do with the growth of Tiktok. Its video based so uses significantly more data than say instagram

Not to mention the free e-sim offer from vodafone which meant I had working phone (O2 had no chance and gave up soon as I was on site for an hour as more people filled up). 50gb of free data for a week was incredible. Worked a dream.