Oasis

chew the fat

2 hours ago, incident said:

Fair play. I'm happy to put my hands up to being one of the vocal doubters, having assumed that this would be no different to the other rumours that have circulated most years since they first split, but clearly this is happening and you got it bang on and ahead of just about anyone else so full kudos is deserved.

Still can't see Glastonbury being likely though, just because whoever is promoting the tour will be paying through the nose for it and usually would insist on a good level of exclusivity for their money. If the rumoured number of dates turn out to be correct, that'd mean well over a million tickets on offer. It'd take a very brave promoter to allow them to also do a cut price gig that could directly impact on 120k+ potential ticket purchases (maybe more, if you count the TV coverage).

remember that Glasto will be sold out before they would even announce them. So you want to presume that somehow the bulk of ticket holders will  not want to buy a ticket to a solo gig  because theyre going to hold off on buying these next couple of weeks cause they expect them to be playing next June? Wont happen. People will want to guarantee themselves an Oasis ticket and go to Wembley or Heaton and will worry about Glasto later. Youre also discounting anyone thats going to travel? So these Oasis gigs are strictly for british citizens? You realize there are other countries on the planet?

Assuming it’s a reunion I think they’d be likely to headline Glastonbury at the same time - getting back together for a series of shows seems more likely than commit to a longer term thing for them 🤷‍♀️ it would definitely be rammed on Pyramid if they’re playing. Even when one of their songs plays on the speakers it’s a huge crowd singalong!

If they were to do Glastonbury before any other shows, I am confident that it would lead to the most fence-jumpers and spin-ins than ever seen before in this current festival format. Can't underestimate how big this is and the appeal this band spreads across generations. The first time they walk back on stage together is going to be a huge moment for British music/pop culture, and I'm not sure that they'd use Glastonbury for that moment. As much as I'd like to see it in 2025, 2027 probably does make more sense - unless their own shows are in May/June. Both Noel and Liam are famously advocates for the festival and if this is all happening then I can imagine a return to the farm will be on their hit list eventually. Let's see what's announced tomorrow

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

Assuming it’s a reunion I think they’d be likely to headline Glastonbury at the same time - getting back together for a series of shows seems more likely than commit to a longer term thing for them 🤷‍♀️ it would definitely be rammed on Pyramid if they’re playing. Even when one of their songs plays on the speakers it’s a huge crowd singalong!

100%. I've just come back from Leeds and i was surprised at how many of the young'uns knew every word to even songs like Half the World Away.

Liam and the band were fantastic. 

I guess timing wise it could line up with getting all their tickets sold before glasto ticket sale and subsequent headliner announcement (surely they wouldn't want to announce it pre ticket sale). I really don't think the crowd would rival elton though. Everyone was hyped for elton from the off whereas no one I know seems at all interested in this and most seem to actively dislike them for a number of reasons. Plus we've been hearing their songs played most years at festivals so it's just not that exciting to a lot of people. 

3 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

100%. I've just come back from Leeds and i was surprised at how many of the young'uns knew every word to even songs like Half the World Away.

Liam and the band were fantastic. 

I’ve seen both Noel and Liam (at TRNSMT) solo in Glasgow over the last year and it was amazing how many kids were there. Any time they put the cameras on the crowds at the front it was teenagers going taps aff. I work with a few 20-odd year olds and this is a dream come true for them

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

I guess timing wise it could line up with getting all their tickets sold before glasto ticket sale and subsequent headliner announcement (surely they wouldn't want to announce it pre ticket sale). I really don't think the crowd would rival elton though. Everyone was hyped for elton from the off whereas no one I know seems at all interested in this and most seem to actively dislike them for a number of reasons. Plus we've been hearing their songs played most years at festivals so it's just not that exciting to a lot of people. 

Lol ok.

An Oasis reunion would be huge. It’s a massive deal for people of my generation that grew up with them and it’ll be huge with the younger generation that have rediscovered them from their Dads. My niece is 21 and wanted Definitely Maybe for her birthday a couple of years back.

Their songbook, multi generational appeal, their cultural impact in the UK, the 90’s revival going on in youth culture at the moment, Liam’s voice better than ever….It will be huge, massive. I’m struggling to think, particularly within the UK, of any other band that could match the hype and anticipation of an Oasis reunion.

I even get goosebumps now thinking of being in the crowd at the Pyramid stage, seeing the logo and the band and then launching into Rock ‘n’ Roll Star, Live Forever, etc. 

25 minutes ago, sildante said:

If they were to do Glastonbury before any other shows, I am confident that it would lead to the most fence-jumpers and spin-ins than ever seen before in this current festival format. Can't underestimate how big this is and the appeal this band spreads across generations. The first time they walk back on stage together is going to be a huge moment for British music/pop culture, and I'm not sure that they'd use Glastonbury for that moment. As much as I'd like to see it in 2025, 2027 probably does make more sense - unless their own shows are in May/June. Both Noel and Liam are famously advocates for the festival and if this is all happening then I can imagine a return to the farm will be on their hit list eventually. Let's see what's announced tomorrow

the most important thing will be what is said in regards to the order of things. If they say "these are the first dates the band will perform" as opposed to "the first confirmed dates" then you can start speculating. A warm up gig is going to be a big issue anyway because you cant just say theyre gonna play any random theater. Itll have to be sizeable. So lets say they did a couple at Ally Pally, thats something. But who knows. This is why maybe they shouldnt do the first shows in the uk cause then the madness isnt as bad. Like yeah, would rather have them at Coachella. Let the fence jumpers try it if they can afford the trip over here in the first place. 

Edited by Suprefan

16 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Lol ok.

An Oasis reunion would be huge. It’s a massive deal for people of my generation that grew up with them and it’ll be huge with the younger generation that have rediscovered them from their Dads. My niece is 21 and wanted Definitely Maybe for her birthday a couple of years back.

Their songbook, multi generational appeal, their cultural impact in the UK, the 90’s revival going on in youth culture at the moment, Liam’s voice better than ever….It will be huge, massive. I’m struggling to think, particularly within the UK, of any other band that could match the hype and anticipation of an Oasis reunion.

I even get goosebumps now thinking of being in the crowd at the Pyramid stage, seeing the logo and the band and then launching into Rock ‘n’ Roll Star, Live Forever, etc. 

Fair enough and I don't doubt it would generate a lot of hype but I certainly don't think it would clear out the rest of the festival like elton did.

Me and my pals also grew up with them in the 90s and did quite like some of their stuff then and saw their set in 2004.

It would be absolutely huge for their fans, but there also a lot of people about who just really aren't into them (partly down to their personalities)

Convinced there'll be a small warm-up somewhere in the lead up to whatever the first big gig is, be that Glastonbury or Heaton Park/Wembley.

Something similar to way the Roses did it wouldn't be a shock.

30 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Don't get your hopes up. No chance of them playing Glasto. 

26 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

the most important thing will be what is said in regards to the order of things. If they say "these are the first dates the band will perform" as opposed to "the first confirmed dates" then you can start speculating. A warm up gig is going to be a big issue anyway because you cant just say theyre gonna play any random theater. Itll have to be sizeable. So lets say they did a couple at Ally Pally, thats something. But who knows. This is why maybe they shouldnt do the first shows in the uk cause then the madness isnt as bad. Like yeah, would rather have them at Coachella. Let the fence jumpers try it if they can afford the trip over here in the first place. 

Even less chance of them playing Coachella than Glasto.

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Convinced there'll be a small warm-up somewhere in the lead up to whatever the first big gig is, be that Glastonbury or Heaton Park/Wembley.

Something similar to way the Roses did it wouldn't be a shock.

Blur did that too tbf. They did 4 small club shows before the main heart of their comeback run last year.

25 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I understand your logic but personally I would estimate there is almost no chance of Oasis having their first reunion show over in the US, for a long list of reasons. If they milk this reunion for a few years, which I suspect they will, then Coachella 2026 or 27 could be on the cards though I suppose

7 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Blur did that too tbf. They did 4 small club shows before the main heart of their comeback run last year.

They did. I went to Wolverhampton - my brothers favourite band and I managed to bag us 2 - a special night for us.