Oasis

chew the fat

Simon Price is a great writer, and he’s on the Chart Music podcast - which is a wonderful podcast, if anyone hasn’t given it a burl - old Melody Maker journos tear into a historic episode of Top Of The Pops and come up with all sorts of conversations about the artists performing, the music scene at the time, and general music journalism - it’s great for forensic detail about bands you’d completely forgotten about.
it sounds much worse than it is - it’s such a bloody great listen, honestly people give it a bash! 
my point though; he’s properly passionate about music, and isn’t fence sitting. I generally hate polemicism these days, cos it’s generally undertaken by those right wing grifter shitbags - but Simon Price is going to hammer the sh*t out of his opinion in order to present a side. Sit with it, or sit against it, but either way have an opinion.
 I like it, even if I don’t agree with great swathes of it - I don’t think Liam is a homophobe at all, he’s just a knobhead. Oasis fans didn’t/dont just listen to one band at the exclusion of everything else. BUT they are almost entirely unsexy, there’s no rock or movability to their music, it doesn’t move feet or swing arses. And that’s a bad thing. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Simon Price is a great writer, and he’s on the Chart Music podcast - which is a wonderful podcast, if anyone hasn’t given it a burl - old Melody Maker journos tear into a historic episode of Top Of The Pops and come up with all sorts of conversations about the artists performing, the music scene at the time, and general music journalism - it’s great for forensic detail about bands you’d completely forgotten about.
it sounds much worse than it is - it’s such a bloody great listen, honestly people give it a bash! 
my point though; he’s properly passionate about music, and isn’t fence sitting. I generally hate polemicism these days, cos it’s generally undertaken by those right wing grifter shitbags - but Simon Price is going to hammer the sh*t out of his opinion in order to present a side. Sit with it, or sit against it, but either way have an opinion.
 I like it, even if I don’t agree with great swathes of it - I don’t think Liam is a homophobe at all, he’s just a knobhead. Oasis fans didn’t/dont just listen to one band at the exclusion of everything else. BUT they are almost entirely unsexy, there’s no rock or movability to their music, it doesn’t move feet or swing arses. And that’s a bad thing. 

I dunno - I'd argue you actually can dance to Cigarettes & Alcohol. But that's more to do with Chuck Berry -> Stones -> Bolan heritage of the song than anything else.

17 hours ago, chatty said:

Haway, if we're honest Oasis have a load of seminal tracks (in the UK at least). 

Wonderwall 

Don't Look Back In Anger 

Supersonic 

Cigarettes and Alcohol 

Live Forever 

At the very least, will be known by most people in the UK. You put them on in most pubs and you'll get a full pub sing along to it (once beer has flowed for a few hours anyway). 

Then you could argue the likes of Rock N Roll Star, Stand By Me, Roll With It are there as well. 

Songbird, Dyou Know What I Mean, Slide Away, Half The World Away, The Masterplan, probably a few others. 

They have a massive backlog of tracks that were hugely popular here and resonate with the culture of this country. 

Fair enough, I can understand some people not liking them and on a world level they'd probably struggle to held as in high esteem but just kidding yourself to say they don't have seminal songs. 

I'm very willing to be wrong, because I do really like Oasis. But I think that to be "seminal" you have to be innovating and influential. Oasis didn't do anything new, or change the landscape of music. They just followed a well-trodden path, and did their thing well.

The definition that pops up on Google is:

strongly influencing later developments.
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

I'm very willing to be wrong, because I do really like Oasis. But I think that to be "seminal" you have to be innovating and influential. Oasis didn't do anything new, or change the landscape of music. They just followed a well-trodden path, and did their thing well.

Sorry, are you suggesting that Oasis have not been a significant influence on later music?  Bonkers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crouchinho76 said:

Sorry, are you suggesting that Oasis have not been a significant influence on later music?  Bonkers. 

In that they spawned lots of clones? Yes. In that their sound pushed music in a new direction? Definitely not. They rehashed 60s guitar music. That’s pretty much it.

4 minutes ago, Crouchinho76 said:

I think a young band might think they are influenced by Oasis, but with age and wisdom, will come to the realisation that they were influenced by The Beatles.

My friend got a code (via the "loyal fan" email). He will be getting accessible tickets and wondered if the one code can be used to get a pair of tickets at Wembley and a pair at Cardiff. Only problem is at Wembley it's necessary to book via their own phone line and Cardiff on Ticketmaster website. Not sure if the code will work via two seperate agents or whether it's OK as long as you don't go over the limit of 4 tickets per code. Anyone know?

No email this afternoon from Oasis, but I did get one from Blur. Anyway I have other priorities, I think - I loved Oasis's first singles but don't get on with Liam's voice and have always struggled to listen to whole albums in one sitting. They're one of only two bands I can think of (Abba being the other) who have a pretty lengthy catalogue of brilliant songs that I think I've heard enough for one lifetime - and often not actually performed by Oasis themselves. I used to spend a fair amount of time around fires with friends and acoustic guitars, and the thing with Oasis is that a lot of their songs are simple enough to be played by pretty much everyone, and for a while they were. Those early singles are still thrilling, though.

7 minutes ago, Narnia said:

My friend got a code (via the "loyal fan" email). He will be getting accessible tickets and wondered if the one code can be used to get a pair of tickets at Wembley and a pair at Cardiff. Only problem is at Wembley it's necessary to book via their own phone line and Cardiff on Ticketmaster website. Not sure if the code will work via two seperate agents or whether it's OK as long as you don't go over the limit of 4 tickets per code. Anyone know?

The code will very likely to be spent after one purchase, can't remember a presale where that didn't happen to me

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

That Google definition absolutely nails them as seminal. They were a huge influence. Now whether that influence was for good is another matter….

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Our man @briddj seems certain that for Manchester at least it's Blossoms and The Courteeners 

Well at least if I get a ticket I can stay in the pub before braving the Heaton Park shitshow

41 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

Correct, dull formulaic music is not seminal 

25 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Correct, dull formulaic music is not seminal 

I wondered why someone would be in the Oasis thread if they think Oasis are dull and formulaic… then I saw it was you Skip! 😂

38 minutes ago, dumbsaints said:

The code will very likely to be spent after one purchase, can't remember a presale where that didn't happen to me

I guess it's worth trying both at the same time and see which is quickest to get through to but do you think the code will be spent as soon as it's entered into Ticketmaster website even before actually finding and paying for the tickets? 

34 minutes ago, stuie said:

I wondered why someone would be in the Oasis thread if they think Oasis are dull and formulaic… then I saw it was you Skip! 😂

It's only dull and formulaic to the listener. It's okay not to like something. I don't get the hype about lots of bands that people seem to cream their pants for. 

Think Oasis just were forefront of something bigger than the music in the 90s. Felt like everything was getting better in the world for a bit and it was a soundtrack