Oasis

chew the fat

Interestingly, Gigs and Tours is indicating that you'll need a code for the main sale:

You require a promotional code to attempt to make a booking, which will have been provided to you prior to the sale.

You will be able to enter a promotional code here when this event goes on sale on Saturday 31 August 2024 at 9:00.

3 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

I'm very willing to be wrong, because I do really like Oasis. But I think that to be "seminal" you have to be innovating and influential. Oasis didn't do anything new, or change the landscape of music. They just followed a well-trodden path, and did their thing well.

The definition that pops up on Google is:

strongly influencing later developments.

They certainly didn’t innovate, musically there was nothing groundbreaking.

But in terms of cultural influence, they were unrivalled. 

They were (and still are) huge, a phenomenon that musically hasn’t been matched in this country since. 

6 minutes ago, doogie said:

Interestingly, Gigs and Tours is indicating that you'll need a code for the main sale:

You require a promotional code to attempt to make a booking, which will have been provided to you prior to the sale.

You will be able to enter a promotional code here when this event goes on sale on Saturday 31 August 2024 at 9:00.

How do you register to get a code?

7 minutes ago, doogie said:

Hopefully that's a good thing? Bozos who didn't create accounts locked out??

Just opening a cider in a mixture of joy for getting tickets and also shock that I just spent £167.75 per ticket and the added extra booking fee of £2.75. Fairly sure that's a new grim mile stone in tickets prices for me. Hoping they announce a decent support to lesson the blow a little.

I have been told, no more tickets and think she means it this time. 

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

This is right.

The rampant mis-use of the word seminal is one of my personal bugbears. It is not simply a synonym for influential (which Oasis definitely are) but rather the influence of later developments, which Oasis definitely have not done.

Good musical examples would be Kraftwerk made seminal electronic music, or the Stooges were a seminal punk band. But it seems most people use it as a synonym for 'really good'.

Although that is dying out now in favour of iconic, which is a little more accurate but is so overused it winds me up just as much.

Worse than the rampant misuse of the word 'unprecedented'?

55 minutes ago, doogie said:

I’m confused - how can I get one of these codes?

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

They certainly didn’t innovate, musically there was nothing groundbreaking.

But in terms of cultural influence, they were unrivalled. 

They were (and still are) huge, a phenomenon that musically hasn’t been matched in this country since. 

image.thumb.png.f64c84d2c0a3ff524edcb8c7c85470ee.png

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

image.thumb.png.f64c84d2c0a3ff524edcb8c7c85470ee.png

Just had a google, 15 million more records than Oasis, in a shorter period of time! Well I never knew that! 

We got our 8 for first Manchester date. Straight forward enough 🙂

Me and the wife will be trying for Wembley in the morning too. 

Hope you all get them guys! I can already hear the start to F**** in the Bushes in my head.