Oasis

chew the fat

13 minutes ago, Dales said:

Of course it's the same as selling hotel rooms and flights. You have a set amount of something and you put up the price as your inventory goes down. No one needs to like it but can't see how concert tickets should be treated differently or more importantly, how legislation would/could treat them differently without tackling the practice in general.

Every one who got through and could pick tickets had a choice, to pay or not to pay. End of the day they are justconcert tickets and other tickets are available

If you really do believe that there's no difference, then there's nothing I can say that'll convince you otherwise. But safe to say I disagree with this in its entirety.

33 minutes ago, Narnia said:

Oasis tickets 'shambles' defended by industry chief - BBC News

Oasis and the promoter have been asked for a response. It's making such big news that it will be interesting to see if they do.

Dynamic pricing will still be here as long as people like Rachael get caught up in the moment and continue to pay it. If the punters refused to pay then it would disappear.

Unfortunately what we get at these times is people venting on social media but unwilling to make any meaningful change. Businesses like Ticketmaster and the Gallagher brothers are aware of that and that’s why they make the decisions they do.

1 hour ago, incident said:

If the rush had passed, and you could choose where to buy a ticket, then you'd have a point. But in reality there was no choice in the matter, it was whichever site let you in.

(aside from which - See / G+T are the same option, they're just different brands to the same pool of tickets being sold by the same servers)

Ah so that explains why I lost the holding page to both at the same time 

4 minutes ago, incident said:

If you really do believe that there's no difference, then there's nothing I can say that'll convince you otherwise. But safe to say I disagree with this in its entirety.

There's nothing wrong with people holding different view's on the same thing. But sure we both agree thats it would be better if dynamic pricing did not exist at all.

10 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

"Everyone thinks it's ticketmaster when it's actually the artist"

Wise up.

The artist has to agree to it though don’t they, as he been said about a thousand times on here. Hardly held at gunpoint are they. Ticketmaster shouldn’t offer it in the first place but the artist doesn’t need to accept and fleece their own fans i.e. The Cure.

9 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

no not at all - but, it IS the decision of the artist / promoter to use dynamic pricing on the sale.

I'm sure TM are more than happy to give a nudge in the direction of using it, but it is NOT Ticketmaster's decision as to whether or not dynamic pricing is used on a sale.

I'm not for one minute suggesting the artists aren't culpable, as I said I think they're both just as guilty. I just don't understand why TM choosing whether or not to activate the pricing that THEY have invented and suggested makes them in any way less to blame.

1 minute ago, andyrhodes24 said:

The artist has to agree to it though don’t they, as he been said about a thousand times on here. Hardly held at gunpoint are they. Ticketmaster shouldn’t offer it in the first place but the artist doesn’t need to accept and fleece their own fans i.e. The Cure.

Ugh. I know! As I've said I think they're both just as culpable. Your post suggests that it's entirely the artists fault. By, for example, saying "Everyone thinks it's ticketmaster when it's actually the artist"

Just now, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Ugh. I know! As I've said I think they're both just as culpable. Your post suggests that it's entirely the artists fault. By, for example, saying "Everyone thinks it's ticketmaster when it's actually the artist"

They are as bad as each other, TM shouldn’t offer it and the artist shouldn’t accept. Doesn’t mean the artist can’t refuse instead of lining their pockets. We’re Oasis the northern working class answer to Blur?

2 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

To some respect though it’s easy for the Gallagher to push the blame to the faceless corporation. I would personally blame the musician more, as the corporation at least doesn’t claim to care about what the fans think.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

To some respect though it’s easy for the Gallagher to push the blame to the faceless corporation. I would personally blame the musician more, as the corporation at least doesn’t claim to care about what the fans think.

It'll certainly be interesting if they do take that approach given it's pretty easy for anyone to find out the truth. That's if they even acknowledge it at all - I expect them to take the 'it'll blow over' route.

1 hour ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

I was done and dusted by 9:15 confirmation email & all.

And the standing tickets were £150 then so it wasn't on from the beginning either.

There were £150 tickets being sold alongside "in demand" tickets all morning. In most cases you were able to select "in demand" tickets without issues while the normal standing were throwing errors.

Good for you that you were lucky to get them sorted by 9.15. I spent from 8 up till 13.00 at the 14 pages. By 9.25 when I gained access to the first date they were already selling "in demand" in Manchester. Thank god my bank blocked the transaction. 

I had access to all dates in TM around 9.45. Finally got standing tickets at £150 for Edinburg (10.30), Manchester (10.45) and Wembley (11.00). My friends still got face value at 13.00. Clearly there was something wrong.

Edited by yosoyyoberdi

Just now, Nobby's Old Boots said:

It'll certainly be interesting if they do take that approach given it's pretty easy for anyone to find out the truth. That's if they even acknowledge it at all - I expect them to take the 'it'll blow over' route.

It will just blow over, of that I have no doubt. It’s easy to moan on social media, but making real sacrifices is something not enough people are willing to do. I suspect for many getting likes on instagram for going to the gigs is worth paying the extra.

My guess is that this reunion is about the band making as much money as possible, so it’s naive to think they will make decisions that restrict that earning potential.

2 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

There were £150 tickets being sold alongside "in demand" tickets all morning. In most cases you were able to select "in demand" tickets without issues while the normal standing were throwing errors.

Good for you that you were lucky to get them sorted by 9.15. I spent from 8 up till 13.00 at the 14 pages. By 9.25 when I gained access to the first date they were already selling "in demand" in Manchester. Thank god my bank block the transaction. 

I had access to all dates around 9.45. Finally got standing tickets at £150 for Edinburg (10.30), Manchester (10.45) and Wembley (11.00)

Glad you managed to avoid the in demand prices. 

It's a very generous description they give themselves for a disgusting practice.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope of picking up tickets on Twickets. Might be proved wrong closer to the time but think this will be similar to Taylor in that hardly any will be re-sold that way.

The main reason for this is that the vast majority of people who have tickets to sell will be able to pass them on to someone they know. Question for anyone who got some yesterday - how long would it take you to find a relative, mate, work colleague or friend of a friend who would snap them off you in an instant at the price you paid (unless they were dynamic pricing)?

There's way more people who missed out than got them so will be so easy to pass on tickets without the hassle of the internet. 

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It will just blow over, of that I have no doubt. It’s easy to moan on social media, but making real sacrifices is something not enough people are willing to do. I suspect for many getting likes on instagram for going to the gigs is worth paying the extra.

My guess is that this reunion is about the band making as much money as possible, so it’s naive to think they will make decisions that restrict that earning potential.

Seems too easy to criticise people for buying the tickets - of course that makes the problem worse, but if someone desperately wants to go to the gigs then they know if they don't buy the ticket and instead 'make a stand' then the person behind them will buy the ticket instead.

Then no stand has been taken but some unlucky sod didn't get the tickets they so badly wanted.

This is of course the reason they charge it, not because they think people chasing likes on instagram want to go, but because they know they can essentially monetise FOMO from actual fans.

2 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Seems too easy to criticise people for buying the tickets - of course that makes the problem worse, but if someone desperately wants to go to the gigs then they know if they don't buy the ticket and instead 'make a stand' then the person behind them will buy the ticket instead.

Then no stand has been taken but some unlucky sod didn't get the tickets they so badly wanted.

This is of course the reason they charge it, not because they think people chasing likes on instagram want to go, but because they know they can essentially monetise FOMO from actual fans.

I wouldn’t say it’s a criticism of the fans, it’s the Gallagher brothers seeing a business opportunity and cashing in.  If fans accept the situation then that is the decision of the fans. I do personally think a drive for attention on social media does contribute to the demand which has been hyped up by the same platform.

I see the Gallagher brothers as using their working class roots to hide their true intentions which is making money. In some ways if they were open about it maybe that would be better, but I think there is a proportion of the fanbase that deep down knows it’s the case, but would prefer the working class pretence is upheld.

7 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Glad you managed to avoid the in demand prices. 

It's a very generous description they give themselves for a disgusting practice.

Pure luck in my case. I was desperate enough to fall for them.

I am not even that mad at the conecpt of having a bucket of "demand" tickets. It is worse for me that they were not allowing us to select standard face value tickets for most of it. And it was clear there were plenty of them since 3 hours later they were still being sold..

Another question is what the hell actually happened with TM? It is the first time I have seen it so glitchy and unresponsive after passing the queue. I thought the whole idea of queuing was to prevent this happening. 

8 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Another question is what the hell actually happened with TM? It is the first time I have seen it so glitchy and unresponsive after passing the queue. I thought the whole idea of queuing was to prevent this happening. 

Possibly that they have just never had that sheer volume of people trying to get in before?

3 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Possibly that they have just never had that sheer volume of people trying to get in before?

Yeah the sites were clearly just f**ked

See didn't even work for the first hour or so - its never been like that bad for glasto

14 million people i read, way more than glasto (although bet people for glasto use way more tabs!)

45 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Good for you that you were lucky to get them sorted by 9.15. I spent from 8 up till 13.00 at the 14 pages. By 9.25 when I gained access to the first date they were already selling "in demand" in Manchester. Thank god my bank blocked the transaction. 

I had access to all dates in TM around 9.45. Finally got standing tickets at £150 for Edinburg (10.30), Manchester (10.45) and Wembley (11.00). My friends still got face value at 13.00. Clearly there was something wrong.

I know of someone who got face value at 2.30