Oasis

chew the fat

16 minutes ago, gfa said:

Everyone knows its just as much Oasis's fault (more infact really) that the prices are like this. Its all over the news and has been for the past 2 days.

For years artists have put dates on sale knowing they will sell out at the price they go onsale at and had no issue with it.

If they want more money perhaps they should get off their arses and do more than 14 dates?

added, not outrageous - just meant the fees ticketmaster etc charge

I don’t think everyone does know it’s Oasis fault as much, I have seen many blaming Ticketmaster. I think they just have one price and go £250 then the band probably take more blame so this scenario works for them.  I think fans want to believe oasis are working class heroes so in this situation it’s an awkward solution which mutually suits both sides.

If dynamic pricing didn’t exist I don’t think they would play more gigs, I think they would just charge more. Ultimately the fans end up footing the bill as they are now, you could argue if everyone pays the same it’s fairer, I’m not sure the majority would be happier. I suspect you wouldn’t get many with the £150 tickets who wish they had paid more, so those with £350 could pay less.

13 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Twickets have responded to criticism and reduced their fees to 11% (1% transaction fee) and capped at £25.

Nice, Twickets continuing to be by far the best ticket reseller out there. I hope the Ts&Cs warning people off other resellers prove effective cos I've used Twickets a fair bit, to both buy and sell tickets, and it really is great. Knowing you'll never pay much more then face value (+fees) is a real winner, and there's usually plenty of bargains to be had on the day of things.

Although wouldn't expect many bargains for Oasis of course!

15 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Just for a laugh I’ve checked Viagogo. Cheapest Heaton Park £619, dearest £5904.

If they manage to sell the tickets for 5904 then they can come and have a go and shifting some of my old cds. I lost heart in the past when Music magpie wouldn’t even give me £1 for a bluestones album!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Twickets have responded to criticism and reduced their fees to 11% (1% transaction fee) and capped at £25.

makes sense, I'm guessing they didn't really ever expect expensive tickets like that to appear on their site, so never really saw the 10% as a big deal. 

11 minutes ago, doogie said:

I don't know how comparable this is, but I was watching the secondary market for the UK leg of the Eras tour quite closely.

Very few tickets went up on Twickets, while Stubhub and Viagogo had hundreds for sale at any given time.  The vast majority of these sold on the day of each concert, generally for between £500 (for restricted view) and £1200 each.  There were absolutely no bargains to be had.

I think the codes situation makes it different, as many tickets went into the hands of real fans. With Oasis its more open, so I'm thinking a bit more churn. What also didn't help is that you had to sign up for a city for Taylor. So I signed up for Liverpool but didn't consider doing London as well, so had almost no chance of Wembley in August. 

6 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Nice, Twickets continuing to be by far the best ticket reseller out there. I hope the Ts&Cs warning people off other resellers prove effective cos I've used Twickets a fair bit, to both buy and sell tickets, and it really is great. Knowing you'll never pay much more then face value (+fees) is a real winner, and there's usually plenty of bargains to be had on the day of things.

Certainly puts the ball in TM, the band and Viagogo's court for any other grief. 

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Which is exactly how airline tickets have been sold for years - but the government and customers and celebreties never got annoyed about that!

I frequently get annoyed that I can't book a cheap hotel room last minute like in t'olden days.

54 minutes ago, gfa said:

If they want more money perhaps they should get off their arses and do more than 14 dates?

How much money do they even need anyway? 

They could also just look at pricing other tickets higher as well. If people want to attend as a VIP then maybe further increase that price. This would allow more people with a low budget to at least get a foot in the door.  

13 minutes ago, Narnia said:

How much money do they even need anyway? 

They could also just look at pricing other tickets higher as well. If people want to attend as a VIP then maybe further increase that price. This would allow more people with a low budget to at least get a foot in the door.  

You could say the same about premier league footballers or Hollywood film stars , but the majority of these will maximise earning opportunities.

I think I read one has an expensive divorce to pay for. I guess the volatile relationship between the brothers means they probably want to cash in while they can still work together.

59 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

I frequently get annoyed that I can't book a cheap hotel room last minute like in t'olden days.

Good.............................. but why does the government not? Why does it seem they like bandwagons to jump on? This sort of thing has been going on a long time through loads of different governments.

14 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Good.............................. but why does the government not? Why does it seem they like bandwagons to jump on? This sort of thing has been going on a long time through loads of different governments.

I can only assume that hotel rooms and flights etc whilst they affect collectively more people in total its on an individual level so there isn’t that massive influx of bad feeling over it. The publicity around this one has ‘affected’ thousands of people all together all at once so it’s more visible. 

And of course the government jumps on the bandwagon as it’s easy points scoring if they promise to look at it.

7 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

OK, I'll bite as you keep posting this, but what on earth are you on about?

It seems the Gallagher brothers are being criticised for maximising earning potential when people just accept with other professions. I think the focus on Ticketmaster using dynamic pricing misses the point to some extent as I think they would have taken the same cut if it wasn’t there. The amount Oasis can make from these gigs is down to demand hugely outweighing supply. The arrangement seems to work for the band and most who have bought tickets.

I say this as someone who would have to see the prices dynamic at the £30 level to consider watching oasis. However I’m not going to criticise them for making as much money as possible when I watch footballer or film stars who do the same 

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It seems the Gallagher brothers are being criticised for maximising earning potential when people just accept with other professions. I think the focus on Ticketmaster using dynamic pricing misses the point to some extent as I think they would have taken the same cut if it wasn’t there. The amount Oasis can make from these gigs is down to demand hugely outweighing supply. The arrangement seems to work for the band and most who have bought tickets.

I say this as someone who would have to see the prices dynamic at the £30 level to consider watching oasis. However I’m not going to criticise them for making as much money as possible when I watch footballer or film stars who do the same 

Do you think footballers and film stars earnings affect the end users ticket price?

As far as comparisons go that's about as big a nonsense as I've seen.

2 hours ago, doogie said:

I don't know how comparable this is, but I was watching the secondary market for the UK leg of the Eras tour quite closely.

Very few tickets went up on Twickets, while Stubhub and Viagogo had hundreds for sale at any given time.  The vast majority of these sold on the day of each concert, generally for between £500 (for restricted view) and £1200 each.  There were absolutely no bargains to be had.

ticketmster released more tickets for some places in the days leading up to the gig. Someone from my work got 60 quid tix at wembley the day prior

51 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The most I can see any government changing is more clarity on what the dynamic pricing will be. I don’t see any changes that will push down the price of tickets for customers.

A lot's going to have to change for the increasing escalation of prices to be halted or even reversed.

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

ticketmster released more tickets for some places in the days leading up to the gig. Someone from my work got 60 quid tix at wembley the day prior

Yes they did, but only to selected individuals.  If you weren't lucky enough to be sent a code, you were completely shut out.  Of course, many of those who were sent a code put them straight up on Stubhub for 10 times the price.

Edited by doogie

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Does the cost of your cinema ticket go up if Tom Cruise takes home a bigger pay cheque on a movie?

I mean, my local Odeon and Cineworld now want over £15 for a single film for a lot of screenings.

No wonder people are preferring streaming. Or in my case, going to Vue which tends to be half the price.

13 minutes ago, Mambonumberfive said:

Twickets seem to be good at reselling tickets. I’ve used them for buying and selling in the past. But they are rubbish at sending notifications. There are tickets on now (too expensive for me) but no notifications so far. 🤷‍♂️

Id guess on this one that they're overwhelmed by the numbers of people signing up, or there is some sort of priority system. Id guess the former, as I haven't received alerts for other gigs either since Saturday