Oasis

chew the fat

13 hours ago, sildante said:

As much as the entire reunion is nothing but a huge cash-grab from the Gallagher brothers, they are being thrown under the bus a bit in some of the online narrative, as if they have schemed the pricing model themselves - a pricing strategy which has been in place for most major world tours for years now.

There is a long list of artists whose tours have used dynamic pricing in recent times - Harry Styles, The Smile, Dua Lipa, Coldplay, Olivia Rodrigo, Paul McCartney, Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Stevie Nicks, Bruce Springsteen, P!nk, Sabrina Carpenter, The 1975, Charli XCX to name a few. Although there are some exceptions, major artists themselves would typically not be very involved in this level of decision, unless they proactively choose to be. 

I would argue most of these acts are about making as much money as possible, easy for them to act ignorant and blame the faceless corporation.

3 hours ago, Furq said:

Ticketmaster DENIES using algorithms or 'changing' prices of Oasis tickets - so just pre-set price hikes based on sales?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/06/arts/music/oasis-reunion-tour-tickets.html

They can set the system up how they want and not have it work how it does over here. As you have noticed, when the remaining inventory hit a level, the cost went up. So its pretty easy to have the price change again as fewer tickets remain. its also harder to see these changes on the Uk Tm site because the seat map isnt activated for a while. But I personally saw the prices keep going up during the sale. It wasnt by much, but it happened. They were also capped anyway. Outside of Vip, it didnt go higher than just under £500 each. Its  Much easier in America to look at real time changes of tickets and to see whats platinum and what isnt right from the start. Youre not hoping you get a good seat, youre picking it yourself. 

The algorithm does exist though. They can be choosing to not use it in the uk and europe because this current system just works better and keeps them out of trouble. I would welcome everyone to try an American ticket onsale for a big group just to see the madness and constant changes happening within minutes. 

btw, if youre buying tickets in new york, this is what you see before purchasing

IMG_3252.jpeg

Edited by Suprefan
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 3:47 AM, Furq said:

AXS and Ticketmaster both have price gouging operations. And it's very much for standing tickets too.

Both issues covered in this Medium article, in fact.

(You're right - it's weird that so many are only cottoning on to this now)

its the audience. Nobody ever really thinks of demographics and age breakdowns for concert tours. As mentioned, its def a lot of people who do not go to gigs that wanted to go to Oasis. They finally have a reason to do so. These people have not experienced modern onsales and think its a simple process. You couldve easily noticed this on their subreddit. Everyone asking about price, how it works, the queues. Perfect storm for those that are experienced to capitalize. ( my mates are happy i helped get their tickets cause of it )

One of my favorite tours has been Depeche Mode simply for that fact that I know their fans barely go to gigs. And the method of selling tickets has changed each time theyve toured since I have actively been going to see them for 20 years. From the first time needed an American Express credit card to guarantee getting a ticket in presale, to a ballot, to just needing a password. 

Depeche was actually the first major group to implement the Verified Fan program. In its infancy they had a couple of different methods to get you into a presale. First, just a ballot. You gave your details and they selected people. It was very easy to get these cause there likely wasnt a screening process. But if course its data harvesting anyway. 

The other one was essentially making it a game. Depeche had it all set up where you would end up in different ticketing groups to buy tickets. ( might be how they sell Oasis this time ) So what you had to do was earn "points" by either posting about them on social media, buying merchandise, buying the album and so on and so forth. You could actively check your spot so you could make sure where you would end up. And you could change cities to see how your ranking would be elsewhere. This all last a week before the sales.

They also had a bonus for the person who was first. You got a special merch bundle I think that was signed. Anyway, this audience was the wrong one to put into this game. I knew it too. Old people arent gonna be tweeting about Depeche Mode 24/7 just to get a better spot in the queue. You needed somebody with a following and the right age demo. 

Enter Taylor Swift. For her Reputation tour she used this same system and your rankings mattered. So you entererd this process and by certain activities your ranking changed. You could watch her music video up to 20 times a day and earn points. You could ( and im not joking ) pre order the album up to 10 times per day to move up your spot. Tweeting and all that other stuff also did the same. This went on for 3 months. Literally you had people doing this stuff the entire time just ti be closer to the front of the queue. There were articles written about it and some writer did like make an effort to see what spending $1000 on dumb sh*t got you before buying tickets.

So then it was tabulated. Your ranking was your spot in the queue. Every single person that signed up for their respective tour date was then given a specific time in the day as to when it would be their turn to purchase. Ticketmaster emailed you and said within a 5 min window at that time of the day your code would be sent and a personalized link to enter the Ticketmaster queue and buy tickets. It took all day, but there was no virtual queue and you entered the sale page, looked at what was available and bought your tickets. Strangely nobody else bothered to keep trying this system despite it being reasonably thought out. Except for the greedy part of course. Nobody should make you spend 3 months spending a bunch of money in order to spend a bunch of money.

Edited by Suprefan

A ballot email is being sent overnight so check your emails on Sunday 8th September if you logged into your Ticketmaster account last Saturday for the Oasis sale. Rules me out of helping my brother as I used SeeTickets! 😠 Screenshot is from Twitter.

Screenshot_20240907-220923.png

Edited by StoneCircle

5 hours ago, Suprefan said:

its the audience. Nobody ever really thinks of demographics and age breakdowns for concert tours. As mentioned, its def a lot of people who do not go to gigs that wanted to go to Oasis. They finally have a reason to do so. These people have not experienced modern onsales and think its a simple process. You couldve easily noticed this on their subreddit. Everyone asking about price, how it works, the queues. Perfect storm for those that are experienced to capitalize. ( my mates are happy i helped get their tickets cause of it )

You say it's demographics, but the list of artists previously approving Platinum include Elton John, Paul McCartney, Coldplay, Madonna, U2 etc etc. They'll be a fair few gig-in-a-decade types there too, I would think!

I guess the Oasis price-hike caught media attenion because of the crazy hype for the tour (obviously), and the working class thing, but also the fact that fans were slapped with unexpected prices after HUGE virtual queues. I mean, even the Glastonbury sale is done within a hour or so.

Interesting info re: DM in the states. Wasn't aware of the superfan stuff there, but have known about their troubling relationship with LiveNation for a long time. They were one of the first bands to offer Platinum tickets here - in 2016.

I've been to every tour since then (and Royal Albert Hall) and haven't noticed any different loyalty technniques used. Just had to avoid the Platinum swizz.

37 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

A ballot email is being sent overnight so check your emails on Sunday 8th September if you logged into your Ticketmaster account last Saturday for the Oasis sle. Rules me out of helping my brother as I used SeeTickets! 😠 Screenshot is from Twitter.

Screenshot_20240907-220923.png

Assuming as I’m one of the few that managed to get tickets through Ticketmaster, I won’t have any chance of this (I’d be sending it over to a friend who was unsuccessful).

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Well from what I recall from last week I may have visited the TM site but couldn't actually sign in because it was so busy. Guess that's me out then despite being registered for the pre=sale?

3 hours ago, plaskins said:

Would love this as the opener after 15 years. It's good to be back

Let's not forget that every time this song is played Gary Glitter gets a royalty payment.

Edited by MrZigster

41 minutes ago, MichaelsBeard said:

Had my ballot email thru 👍

You get an email with a link, which you’ve got to enter your details and with a question to answer, then if you’ve done that correct you get another email with a link which you’ve got to click to confirm entry… you’ve got to have done all this by midnight tonight…. then and only then if successful they’ll contact you again with a code by Friday 9pm for the sale 😂

That’s me confirmed for the lottery now but starting to wonder if it’s really worth it.

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Well from what I recall from last week I may have visited the TM site but couldn't actually sign in because it was so busy. Guess that's me out then despite being registered for the pre=sale?

Let's not forget that every time this song is played Gary Glitter gets a royalty payment.

Yep, me too. Signed into the site for the Dublin tickets, transferred over to the .ie site for the Dublin sale, but then couldn't get on at all for ages when I came back to the UK site. When I finally did get on, I was signed out. 

And no email, so I guess that's me out... 3 times I got to a basket in the end, 3 times I got the spinning circle of death... and I'm probably still not going to get a shot. 😂 

I spent all day in queues logged into my ticketmaster account but no email for me either. Could this be because I got through to the ticket page several times but refused to buy at their massively inflated dynamic prices?...