Oasis

chew the fat

2 hours ago, Calvin Klein said:

I can assure you the amount of people from abroad that are already planning to go is insane. It'll be a nightmare to get tickets. 

only the delusional people are in denial they can sell out all these dates because people dont exist in any other countries not named england.

NME reporting rumours that they’re touring with the High Flying Birds as the backing band, which makes sense given they’re essentially latter day Oasis with a different bassist. So looks like no Andy Bell. 

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

But is he still big enough for 10 Wembley’s? I’d be amazed…

He did 5 in 2022 and his world tour is going well into 2025. Just because Wembley is booked for 10 nights doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be used for 10.

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

But if all the tickets went next week, with hundreds of thousands unable to secure them, it won't make a difference. They'll sell out whatever they put on 

I'm sure they'll more than sell out whatever shows are announced, that's not really all that relevant. If you're a promoter with a million plus tickets to sell, and the real profit only comes on the last 3-5% sold (assuming both Noel and Liam will be getting big guarantees - which we don't know for sure but seems very likely), you don't even think about anything else until the money is actually in the bank - which as yet it isn't.

Even once the tickets are sold (or if the promoter is prepared to take it as guaranteed that they will sell), the conversation would be along the lines of "We're paying you all this money for exclusivity, why would we say yes to a festival we don't get a cut from? If you're prepared to do more dates then we can book Cardiff / Sunderland / Villa Park / another night in Manchester and everyone makes more money"

That's the reason there's an established history of headline level acts on a big money reunion tour not playing Glastonbury, at least not on the first go around, despite speculation that they would - The Stone Roses, RATM, The Police, etc all got named on here to various degrees and never turned up.

The big money reunion acts that do ultimately headline always come later on - The Verve are the closest we've had to a reunion headliner going straight to Glastonbury, with them doing festivals on the second set of dates having done their own shows the year before. GnR did Glastonbury on about the 3rd (or was it 4th?) go around for the classic(ish) lineup, and The Who played after they'd already become re-established as a touring act.

If Oasis are still around in 2027, then yep I'd see them as likely candidates. For next year? Seems a long shot.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, incident said:

That's the reason there's an established history of headline level acts on a big money reunion tour not playing Glastonbury, at least not on the first go around, despite speculation that they would - The Stone Roses, RATM, The Police, etc all got named on here to various degrees and never turned up.

None of those acts have longstanding relationships with the festival the way Oasis do. I wouldn't bet against them doing it. As solo acts they know it pays sweet FA and they do it anyway.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

None of those acts have longstanding relationships with the festival the way Oasis do. I wouldn't bet against them doing it. As solo acts they know it pays sweet FA and they do it anyway.

The Stone Roses literally owed the festival a headline slot..

56 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

only the delusional people are in denial they can sell out all these dates because people dont exist in any other countries not named england.

They are still huge in Asia and Latin America. They'd sell out at least 2 80k stadiums here in Argentina no doubt. They played smaller venues when they were active, but there would be a lot of casual fans and younger people who've never seen them that would go. And the hype machine is bigger than ever for gigs/festivals. FOMO is real. 

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Agreed. They also have enough power in this scenario to make it a prerequisite of booking the stadium tour, like Coldplay and Arctic Monkeys have done in the past

35 minutes ago, TheBoss23 said:

He did 5 in 2022 and his world tour is going well into 2025. Just because Wembley is booked for 10 nights doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be used for 10.

In fairness the lack of any Sheeran this year anywhere in the UK was a surprise and to a degree so was last summer, even if he did some spring and winter shows in this land. So it's likely he's planning something for the UK next summer given his tour is carrying on into 2025.

What that is - who knows. He does have a large gap between 6th July and 26th July at present and while is playing all over mainland Europe, has nothing for UK/Ireland.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

As I said, no sort of relationship there - and in the interim they didn't show up as talking heads on every single bit of Glastonbury related tv content.

A less flippant answer -

Yes, it's fair to say that both brothers have a much stronger connection to the festival than most acts, and that's why I'm sure they will play at some point if they hold it together. But both brothers have played recently and so may not feel it's an itch they need to scratch straight away.

The money aspect is a huge factor, and one I think people are brushing past just because they don't want to think that it'd be a blocker. But even setting that aside and assuming they were both happy to take that hit, them playing Glastonbury next year still doesn't make much logistical sense.

Based on the dates that are being speculated, Glastonbury would be a few weeks ahead of everything else and so potentially their first show (certainly one of the first, unless they spring another surprise) together in front of a large crowd in over 15 years. Given the history of the band, having an early show televised for the whole country/world to see sounds like a huge risk to take.

Glastonbury is a card that they can keep in their pocket, and pretty much play it whenever they want, and it feels more likely that they'd do so when they're ready rather than when the fans want it. For me they seem much more likely to do the festival towards the end of the run, when they're settled in and comfortable with each other on stage.

I have noted some of the European festival threads are murmuring about whether they could persuade Oasis. I guess if it is the case that tomorrow is the big announcement of the big shows what the scope is - whether it explicitly states it'll just be for the heavily rumoured Manchester/London shows or whether there is enough for more elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

A Danish friend messaged this morning to say he has to be there if it’s happening. Small sample size, but instantly disproves this idea. 

5 hours ago, VCK2 said:

And Glastonbury seemingly like to book headliners who don't have many other shows in the UK in the same year.

If Glastonbury could have had Taylor Swift in the middle of the eras tour they would have despite all the other shows she was playing and it will be the same for Oasis.