Oasis

chew the fat

10 hours ago, chatty said:

Haway, if we're honest Oasis have a load of seminal tracks (in the UK at least). 

Wonderwall 

Don't Look Back In Anger 

Supersonic 

Cigarettes and Alcohol 

Live Forever 

At the very least, will be known by most people in the UK. You put them on in most pubs and you'll get a full pub sing along to it (once beer has flowed for a few hours anyway). 

Then you could argue the likes of Rock N Roll Star, Stand By Me, Roll With It are there as well. 

Songbird, Dyou Know What I Mean, Slide Away, Half The World Away, The Masterplan, probably a few others. 

They have a massive backlog of tracks that were hugely popular here and resonate with the culture of this country. 

Fair enough, I can understand some people not liking them and on a world level they'd probably struggle to held as in high esteem but just kidding yourself to say they don't have seminal songs. 

Spot on. And the "only 2 good albums" / "5 or so good songs" comments are hilarious.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The ballot pool is going to be the same as the number of people that want to go the gigs.

Yeah plus people who have got their granny to sign up with their email too. Probs a couple million people registered and no idea how many presale codes will go out at all. 

Happy to pay £150 for Oasis at Wembley.  Can I just say this... (happens a lot, but most recent example...)

Went to see Sleeper in Derby the other week.  Gig ticket was £20.  Train from London was £80.  Hotel was £60.  So forked out £160 in total - that's the value I placed on seeing that gig.  And yet the train company and hotel made far more out of me than the band did - doesn't seem right somehow!

I'm sure there'll be plenty of people spending more on their hotel/travel for Oasis than on their actual gig ticket - if you put where your money is going into perspective, it might help make the ticket price seem less painful!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The ballot pool is going to be the same as the number of people that want to go the gigs.

Doing my once a week day in the office today. It's all, most people are talking about and everyone who said they want to go have signed up for the pre-sale ballot including those who never seem to go to gigs.

10 hours ago, chatty said:

Haway, if we're honest Oasis have a load of seminal tracks (in the UK at least). 

Wonderwall 

Don't Look Back In Anger 

Supersonic 

Cigarettes and Alcohol 

Live Forever 

At the very least, will be known by most people in the UK. You put them on in most pubs and you'll get a full pub sing along to it (once beer has flowed for a few hours anyway). 

Then you could argue the likes of Rock N Roll Star, Stand By Me, Roll With It are there as well. 

Songbird, Dyou Know What I Mean, Slide Away, Half The World Away, The Masterplan, probably a few others. 

They have a massive backlog of tracks that were hugely popular here and resonate with the culture of this country. 

Fair enough, I can understand some people not liking them and on a world level they'd probably struggle to held as in high esteem but just kidding yourself to say they don't have seminal songs. 

Agree with all that!

The setlist will probably write itself... can add Champagne Supernova, Whatever, Sone Might Say and to a lesser extent Acquiesce, She's Electric (popular at the moment in iTunes chart) and Stop Crying Your Heart Out to that list of songs most people know.

Oasis fans are just a bunch of flag-shaggers, Reform voters, and w*nkers according to Simon Price of the Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/aug/28/stop-the-celebrations-oasis-are-the-most-damaging-pop-cultural-force-in-recent-british-history

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

13 minutes ago, CR77 said:

Happy to pay £150 for Oasis at Wembley.  Can I just say this... (happens a lot, but most recent example...)

Went to see Sleeper in Derby the other week.  Gig ticket was £20.  Train from London was £80.  Hotel was £60.  So forked out £160 in total - that's the value I placed on seeing that gig.  And yet the train company and hotel made far more out of me than the band did - doesn't seem right somehow!

I'm sure there'll be plenty of people spending more on their hotel/travel for Oasis than on their actual gig ticket - if you put where your money is going into perspective, it might help make the ticket price seem less painful!

£50 Liam 

£30 Noel 

£20 Noels ex-wife 

£50 greedy promotors and ticket agents 

£150 train 

£1000 hotel 

Feel much better now, cheers 😂👍🏻

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CR77 said:

How would that have been any better if the Sleeper ticket had been £100+? The train and hotel costs are fixed. How on earth is it "not right" that the hotel makes money for putting you up or the train company for getting you there?

If Oasis put free travel and accommodation into the ticket, fair enough, the comparison would make sense, but not otherwise.

Note I'm not saying Oasis should be charging what Sleeper are -- apples and oranges -- but this rationale for justifying the price doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, if it's just about your own total expenditure and you happen to live next door to Wembley or Heaton Park, fine, but that's really got nothing to do with whether the tickets are or aren't too expensive for what they are.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Oasis fans are just a bunch of flag-shaggers, Reform voters, and w*nkers according to Simon Price of the Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/aug/28/stop-the-celebrations-oasis-are-the-most-damaging-pop-cultural-force-in-recent-british-history

Christ, this needed posting AGAIN???

23 minutes ago, snoelb said:

How would that have been any better if the Sleeper ticket had been £100+? The train and hotel costs are fixed. How on earth is it "not right" that the hotel makes money for putting you up or the train company for getting you there?

If Oasis put free travel and accommodation into the ticket, fair enough, the comparison would make sense, but not otherwise.

Note I'm not saying Oasis should be charging what Sleeper are -- apples and oranges -- but this rationale for justifying the price doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, if it's just about your own total expenditure and you happen to live next door to Wembley or Heaton Park, fine, but that's really got nothing to do with whether the tickets are or aren't too expensive for what they are.

Sorry... was probably badly written by me!  This all stems for a chat a had years ago with someone who was complaining about an artist charging £50 for a gig ticket at the 100 Club... this person happened to be flying from America for this gig... so happy to spends £100s on flight/hotels etc, but had a massive issue with paying £50 for the gig itself.  Seemed strange!

I only ever mention this perspective as a way to make people feel better about ticket prices... LOL!  / Doh!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR77 said:

Sorry... was probably badly written by me!  This all stems for a chat a had years ago with someone who was complaining about an artist charging £50 for a gig ticket at the 100 Club... this person happened to be flying from America for this gig... so happy to spends £100s on flight/hotels etc, but had a massive issue with paying £50 for the gig itself.  Seemed strange!

I only ever mention this perspective as a way to make people feel better about ticket prices... LOL!  / Doh!  

Oh yeah, if the ticket is a relatively small fraction of total outlay and they're acting like that's the dealbreaker / outrage, definitely. That'd have been like you balking at the £20 Sleeper ticket when you were willing to pay at least £140 to get there in the first place. (Not that money supply is infinite or anything but within reason!)

So, yeah, anyone willing to pay for flights and accommodation for these gigs probably shouldn't be giving out about the ticket price really. But for those for whom the ticket price is large component of total cost, yes, fair enough.

3 hours ago, lukecork said:

They’ve given everyone until 10am today to confirm their entry due to the demand the balot entry has had,  emails were taking a while to come through.

IMG_2402.jpeg

I’ve just confirmed mine this minute (email came last night but I didn’t see it) so the 10am deadline seems to be flexible.

5 minutes ago, Joey Peeps said:

They were much more popular than Blur in the 90s too. 

Yeah, Blur reached their peak of popularity just in time for Oasis to emerge and dethrone them. It was a pretty short-lived period really. I suspect Blur ended up all the better for it though.

• Upvote 1

Its great to have a thing to do on holiday - gigs and footy matches are my favourite things to do when i'm elsewhere 👍 I cant say that ive dropped £400 on watching Clachnacuddin in the Highland league though, by throwing in the price of the flight and the travelodge, cos its just one of the attractions of scotland when i'm there 

1 minute ago, snoelb said:

Yeah, Blur reached their peak of popularity just in time for Oasis to emerge and dethrone them. It was a pretty short-lived period really. I suspect Blur ended up all the better for it though.

*Narrows eyes and looks at profile pic*

hey, you're not impartial here! 😄 It doesnt half seem harsh to compare blur and oasis though, blur are absolutely streets ahead by any metric other than popularity. (sigh, in my opinion . . . )

52 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I refuse to believe a single person on earth takes The Guardian seriously. 

Absolute litter. It's up there with The Sun. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

*Narrows eyes and looks at profile pic*

hey, you're not impartial here! 😄 It doesnt half seem harsh to compare blur and oasis though, blur are absolutely streets ahead by any metric other than popularity. (sigh, in my opinion . . . )

😁

(agreed 👀)

I've got tickets for 6 gigs between now and Christmas, comes to £153 in total. Now obviously none of them are of the stature of Oasis but it does feel like a better way to spend the money.

All but one of the acts probably need that cash, too. 

I do quite like Oasis but don't think I'd go over £80 for them, and I'd want to be able to get the bus home.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, snoelb said:

Blur definitely a slower burner.  As a debut album Leisure was decent but obviously did not have the same impact as Definitely Maybe.  Even Modern Life is Rubbish did not reach the heights even though a great album.  

So really it took until album 3 to really take off.  Parklife is a masterpiece - The Great Escape and equivalent of Be Here Now.