Oasis

chew the fat

Dynamic pricing for tickets is annoying but why should concert tickets be treated different to other booked purchases? I think those hoping a new governemnt may tackle it may end up a little disappointed when they take no action.

Many attending the concerts are likely to have already experienced dynamic pricing when booking hotels and airplane or train tickets to attend the concert. So why exempt the actual concert ticket price from such practice's?

If governments will not tackle airlines overselling tickets for seats they don't even have using dynamic pricing and cancelling peoples tickets at a later date, why will they tackle the practice of concert ticket agencies using dynamic pricing to only sell real valid tickets.

I think it would be a nightmare for any governent to tackle without opening up a can of worms about other industries that use the same tactics.

16 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Twickets is good, buy there'll be a much better availability in the immediate run up if you can hold your nerve that long.

Twickets will be my plan of attack. If I get them I get them but I'm not too disheartened. It would have been the most I've ever paid for a gig ticket and I was only happy to pay the £150 due to the fact I missed out on a Glasto ticket this year. After getting through on Ticketmaster 4 times and being met with the £150 priced ticket for almost £357 I had to vote with my feet.

If anybody did buy too many tickets for Cardiff though I'd happily take one at face value!😊

Just now, Dales said:

Dynamic pricing for tickets is annoying but why should concert tickets be treated different to other booked purchases? I think those hoping a new governemnt may tackle it may end up a little disappointed when they take no action.

Many attending the concerts are likely to have already experienced dynamic pricing when booking hotels and airplane or train tickets to attend the concert. So why exempt the actual concert ticket price from such practice's?

Because it's not the same thing.

You've just compared it to what, in theory at least, should be competitive markets. This is very much a captive market.

If you're looking to fly from London to New York, then you'll certainly look at what all of the multiple airlines are offering, potentially across a choice of dates if you're not tied to specific ones, and probably across all of the different combinations across Heathrow / Gatwick / JFK / Newark.

Same with Hotels. If one prices you out, you can look at the next one across literally dozens of chains and countless independents.

Yes, people may have preferences, especially if they're regular travellers / looking to earn points, but that's unlikely to be a deal breaker.

Whereas someone buying Oasis tickets and getting f**ked over on the price isn't likely going to turn around and say "no matter, I'll go to see Girls Aloud instead".

• Like 1

Ticketmaster may have set this model up but they have said themselves they don't set the prices. In a way they are taking the brunt of the complaints on social media which would be better directed at the artist who is hiding behind Ticketmaster. 

Dynamic pricing is a despicable practice but it works, for everyone except the punter. Why wouldn’t artists put prices up if tickets are going to be rarer than rocking horse sh*t?

Legislation is the only way it will change but, as mentioned, Labour have bigger problems to sort. Wasn’t there a report or two out about reforming Viagogo and StubHub a few years back? Not seen much benefit from that unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Narnia said:

Ticketmaster may have set this model up but they have said themselves they don't set the prices. In a way they are taking the brunt of the complaints on social media which would be better directed at the artist who is hiding behind Ticketmaster. 

That’s the thing, everyone thinks it’s ticketmaster when it’s actually the artist. TM will just take a slightly larger cut of the profits. Good on the decent artists who put the blame at the door of the money grabbers.

23 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Twickets will be my plan of attack. If I get them I get them but I'm not too disheartened. It would have been the most I've ever paid for a gig ticket and I was only happy to pay the £150 due to the fact I missed out on a Glasto ticket this year. After getting through on Ticketmaster 4 times and being met with the £150 priced ticket for almost £357 I had to vote with my feet.

If anybody did buy too many tickets for Cardiff though I'd happily take one at face value!😊

Keep an eye on Ticketmaster resale too (basically the event page). They don't have alerts so it is possible to just get lucky. People have to sell at the price they bought so if those who got normal price can't go they have to sell at that price. I think regularly checking those pages once resale is enabled will give more chance than the twickets alerts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, incident said:

You've just compared it to what, in theory at least, should be competitive markets. This is very much a captive market.

If you're looking to fly from London to New York, then you'll certainly look at what all of the multiple airlines are offering, potentially across a choice of dates if you're not tied to specific ones, and probably across all of the different combinations across Heathrow / Gatwick / JFK / Newark.

Same with Hotels. If one prices you out, you can look at the next one across literally dozens of chains and countless independents.

Yes, people may have preferences, especially if they're regular travellers / looking to earn points, but that's unlikely to be a deal breaker.

Whereas someone buying Oasis tickets and getting f**ked over on the price isn't likely going to turn around and say "no matter, I'll go to see Girls Aloud instead".

Your analogy falls short cause 2 of the 3 options for buying tickets didn’t have dynamic pricing. There were options.

The most part of my group of mates has managed to get tickets for July 16th (Wednesday) in Manchester, but some of us have tickets for other dates we’d potentially like to swap, if someone else on here happens to have tickets for the MCR Wednesday.

We have:

4x Manchester, July 19th (Saturday)

3x London, August 2nd (Saturday)

4x Edinburgh, August 9th (Saturday)

2x Dublin, August 17th (Sunday)

Looking to swap any of these for the Manchester Wednesday!! 

Cheers!

30 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Dynamic pricing is a despicable practice but it works, for everyone except the punter. Why wouldn’t artists put prices up if tickets are going to be rarer than rocking horse sh*t?

Legislation is the only way it will change but, as mentioned, Labour have bigger problems to sort. Wasn’t there a report or two out about reforming Viagogo and StubHub a few years back? Not seen much benefit from that unfortunately.

The fact is as much as fans think this is about them, it’s really about  musicians trying to make as much money as possible.

29 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

That’s the thing, everyone thinks it’s ticketmaster when it’s actually the artist. TM will just take a slightly larger cut of the profits. Good on the decent artists who put the blame at the door of the money grabbers.

Give over.

If it was purely the artist fault / decision why wasn't dynamic pricing used on g&t/see? It's clearly a joint effort.

People are really trying to exercise some mental gymnastics to absolve TM from blame? Grief.

27 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Your analogy falls short cause 2 of the 3 options for buying tickets didn’t have dynamic pricing. There were options.

If the rush had passed, and you could choose where to buy a ticket, then you'd have a point. But in reality there was no choice in the matter, it was whichever site let you in.

(aside from which - See / G+T are the same option, they're just different brands to the same pool of tickets being sold by the same servers)

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

How does it work exactly? And why was it only switched on at the end? Clearly demand started at 8am. 

It was switched on from the beginning. In fact, the first tickets that I was able to select were "demand" tickets. An hour later the website started behaving and I was able to book normal standing for three different dates. 

I actually join all 14 date queues below the 20k position. None of the 14 selection websites was working properly between 9 and 10.30, all showing constant "confirming availability" messages.

51 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Keep an eye on Ticketmaster resale too (basically the event page). They don't have alerts so it is possible to just get lucky. People have to sell at the price they bought so if those who got normal price can't go they have to sell at that price. I think regularly checking those pages once resale is enabled will give more chance than the twickets alerts. 

Thanks. I actually forgot all about TM’s own reselling.👍🏼

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

I actually join all 14 date queues below the 20k position. None of the 14 selection websites was working properly between 9 and 10.30, all showing constant "confirming availability" messages.

I was done and dusted by 9:15 confirmation email & all.

And the standing tickets were £150 then so it wasn't on from the beginning either.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Of course it's the same as selling hotel rooms and flights. You have a set amount of something and you put up the price as your inventory goes down. No one needs to like it but can't see how concert tickets should be treated differently or more importantly, how legislation would/could treat them differently without tackling the practice in general.

Every one who got through and could pick tickets had a choice, to pay or not to pay. End of the day they are justconcert tickets and other tickets are available

1 hour ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Give over.

If it was purely the artist fault / decision why wasn't dynamic pricing used on g&t/see? It's clearly a joint effort.

People are really trying to exercise some mental gymnastics to absolve TM from blame? Grief.

Didn’t say Ticketmaster were blameless did I though, they’re as culpable as the artists for offering it to them in the first place. Wise up.

1 hour ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Give over.

no not at all - but, it IS the decision of the artist / promoter to use dynamic pricing on the sale.

I'm sure TM are more than happy to give a nudge in the direction of using it, but it is NOT Ticketmaster's decision as to whether or not dynamic pricing is used on a sale.