Oasis

chew the fat

1 hour ago, incident said:

No, we think that TM are full of sh*t.

There might be a handful cancelled, just so they can say they're doing something. But most won't be, and there's no guarantee they do anything at all.

Ticket agents repeat the same rubbish about how they will cancel tickets etc etc but are always light on detail on how this will be done. StubHub and Viagogo don't have to share info with TM etc and would be jeopardising their own business model if they did. People say shut the likes of Viagogo down but the reality is that touts will always find a way and the responsibility lies with the ticket agent to resolve this. Few ideas: 

1. My favourite - Make tickets entirely non-transferable unless through an official reselling platform and give people the option to sell to their friends and family at face value, so you either sell your tickets the proper way or attend the event with the people you have tickets for. Not perfect but much better. 

2. Registration - Like Glastonbury. Think this would be difficult to implement but we know it works well. Won't happen though because there's no desire from artists to do it. 

3. Why did it have to be 4 per person per event? Why not just 4 per person full stop. Do we really need to give people the option to attend more than once when an event is in such high demand? 

4. Box office collection with ID / name on ticket, this was trialed a few times pre-COVID but ticket agencies have made big savings going paperless and this is difficult to implement now and also makes it tricky for people who cant attend for genuine reasons.

Ultimately, nothing will change because no one is driving it, but it really wouldn't be that hard...

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 1:46 PM, Chef said:

Has anyone known anything like this before? Almost 5 hours in to a ticket sale and you still can't get past a holding page. 

the year that glastonbury tickets took 24 hours to sell out - people were still trying when it was time to leave for work on the monday.

46 minutes ago, 09matthewsw said:

Ticket agents repeat the same rubbish about how they will cancel tickets etc etc but are always light on detail on how this will be done. StubHub and Viagogo don't have to share info with TM etc and would be jeopardising their own business model if they did. People say shut the likes of Viagogo down but the reality is that touts will always find a way and the responsibility lies with the ticket agent to resolve this. Few ideas: 

1. My favourite - Make tickets entirely non-transferable unless through an official reselling platform and give people the option to sell to their friends and family at face value, so you either sell your tickets the proper way or attend the event with the people you have tickets for. Not perfect but much better. 

2. Registration - Like Glastonbury. Think this would be difficult to implement but we know it works well. Won't happen though because there's no desire from artists to do it. 

3. Why did it have to be 4 per person per event? Why not just 4 per person full stop. Do we really need to give people the option to attend more than once when an event is in such high demand? 

4. Box office collection with ID / name on ticket, this was trialed a few times pre-COVID but ticket agencies have made big savings going paperless and this is difficult to implement now and also makes it tricky for people who cant attend for genuine reasons.

Ultimately, nothing will change because no one is driving it, but it really wouldn't be that hard...

I like the sound of several options, but couldn't I just pretend someone is my friend and pass them a pair of tickets via a freshly created temp login for x times the price? 

38 minutes ago, Neil said:

the year that glastonbury tickets took 24 hours to sell out - people were still trying when it was time to leave for work on the monday.

Yes, my recollection was spending about 16 hours switching between flaky online options whilst continuously dialing the number without so much as a sniff.  Eventually a pal heard my predicament and bought ours - they had succeeded within the first hour and did so with similar ease. 

Their supplier was Orange, who were the mobile partner at the time and some folks had an old wives' tale that relationship conveyed some lucky charm. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Almost - the 24 hour sale was Glastonbury 2004, and tickets went on sale at 8pm on a Thursday Evening, for reasons that I don't think were ever given. So while it went into the next working day (and I'm sure led to a serious drop in productivity), it was a Friday.

The switch to a Sunday Morning sale came the following year, with the legend being that calls to See had crashed the Nottingham telephone switchboard (back when See had telephones, with a large call centre based in Nottingham city centre) causing BT to insist that the next sale was moved well outside of business hours. No idea whether that was ever actually true, but I hope it was. 2005 did sell out much quicker, so didn't trickle into the Monday.

Government probe now apparently. Didn't the last lot do that? Probably get lobbied out of doing anything favourable for fans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c20r26p7d0ro

After failing to get a presale code for the Friday I decided that evening that £150 was just too much for a band I've seen three times (a dozen if you count NGHFB/Liam sets), only to get soaked in piss within the first three minutes. Plus Wembley's a PITA to get back from whichever way you choose to get there. Plus what Stewart Lee said about coked up twats.

Given the shambles I'm thinking it was a good call. Practically the whole day trying for possibly no result? f**k that for a game of soldiers.

3 hours ago, 09matthewsw said:

theres ways to make it work with restrictions. The bigger problem with a band like Oasis is the audience. Same with Glasto. Not everyone has a mobile phone.

There are ways to have a unique id tied to your specific device with your account so only that device works for entry  with a Qr code for example. 

For something like this they easily could have had in person sales and let everyone spend the entire Saturday in a real

queue trying to buy tickets. But the costs associated with that are another obstacle. They didnt want to pay for security and organization to do that. Also, there probably could not have been physical tickets issued. There probably had to be a way to have your TM account logged in on site to have your tickets sent to you. So you select your tickets and then they assign them to your account and they show up. Then additional restrictions such as transfer and such couldve been discussed.  You could have also said standing tickets were no transfers only, will call with direct entry. 

there is no perfect way to do this because everyone will find a way to say its not fair to them. Thats the kicker.

Edited by Suprefan

2 hours ago, incident said:

Almost - the 24 hour sale was Glastonbury 2004, and tickets went on sale at 8pm on a Thursday Evening, for reasons that I don't think were ever given. So while it went into the next working day (and I'm sure led to a serious drop in productivity), it was a Friday.

The switch to a Sunday Morning sale came the following year, with the legend being that calls to See had crashed the Nottingham telephone switchboard (back when See had telephones, with a large call centre based in Nottingham city centre) causing BT to insist that the next sale was moved well outside of business hours. No idea whether that was ever actually true, but I hope it was. 2005 did sell out much quicker, so didn't trickle into the Monday.

Friday or Monday it's much the same issue as a working day. And quite a while ago now for remembering all details.

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

I like the sound of several options, but couldn't I just pretend someone is my friend and pass them a pair of tickets via a freshly created temp login for x times the price? 

Touts at Liverpool matches use burner phones with the tickets on. Pick them up in the pub before, drop back after.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I reckon if the band's management decide to cancel them, they'll end up in a pot to be resold at a later date, perhaps via ballot or mailing list. 

they're sold, the moneys in the bank... i highly doubt anyone from artist management is going to give a sh*t. 

9 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Good effort my friend. You now have morals and the right to bitch about it.😁

We also decided to reject them if/when we got in.

When we did they were there but so was the option for proper price. After 20 or so attempts pressing the proper price ones it actually found them and stuck them in the basket so we were very lucky it seems but there was no way we were paying over the odds and supporting a system we do not agree with.

RE cancelling tickets, I managed to get 4 for Wembley in the presale. My wife was out with her friend who was also trying in the presale, and bought 2 for the same Wembley show, but her internet banking crashed on verification so she used my wife's credit card to buy them. So we now have 6 tickets for one show with the same billing address, albeit all other details separate and both TM accounts were preexisting with order histories etc.

Are they likely to cancel some or all of these on that basis??

16 minutes ago, OwlsMatt said:

RE cancelling tickets, I managed to get 4 for Wembley in the presale. My wife was out with her friend who was also trying in the presale, and bought 2 for the same Wembley show, but her internet banking crashed on verification so she used my wife's credit card to buy them. So we now have 6 tickets for one show with the same billing address, albeit all other details separate and both TM accounts were preexisting with order histories etc.

Highly unlikey but perhaps ask TM who can confirm - then I presume you will sell on at facevalue if you can't use them.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Good effort my friend. You now have morals and the right to bitch about it.😁

I also eventually got through at about 4pm and said 'f**k that' to £360 each

I was trying for two tickets, but I simply don't have £700+ kicking about, I'd moved cash around and had about £400 to cover 'fees' etc

23 minutes ago, OwlsMatt said:

They did say they would beforehand. Those are a LOT easier to cancel than the ones on StubHub because it's all within the Ticketmaster system. Guessing they might look at it now the week has started. 

If you're selling the other two, maybe sticking them on resale as soon as it's available might stop that happening?

41 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

We also decided to reject them if/when we got in.

When we did they were there but so was the option for proper price. After 20 or so attempts pressing the proper price ones it actually found them and stuck them in the basket so we were very lucky it seems but there was no way we were paying over the odds and supporting a system we do not agree with.

You did well. I kept refreshing the page once I got through hoping that the standard ones would reappear as this worked for somebody else but they never did for me. I was a little restricted though as my only options were the two Cardiff dates as I’ll be out of the country for all the others.

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

Yeah that's the fundamental problem with allowing sales to "friends" - a friend is not a legally definable thing. You can always "make friends" with the person you're selling tickets to. 

Even "family" is difficult in terms of actually proving that. Could limit to transfers with same last name but that's not that helpful for Mr Smith and Mrs Patel.

1 minute ago, MilkyJoe said:

You did well. I kept refreshing the page once I got through hoping that the standard ones would reappear as this worked for somebody else but they never did for me. I was a little restricted though as my only options were the two Cardiff dates as I’ll be out of the country for all the others.

Well if something happens in my life that means at short notice we cannot go I now know who to contact as our tickets are for Cardiff.

I hope I don't have to do it obviously but you get first dibs if we did.

• Thanks 1