Oasis

chew the fat

12 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Well if something happens in my life that means at short notice we cannot go I now know who to contact as our tickets are for Cardiff.

I hope I don't have to do it obviously but you get first dibs if we did.

Thank you. 😊But I hope it doesn't come to that either. 

12 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Turns out the real problem was that they should have been more expensive in the first place.

1212146768_Screenshot_20240902_094525_BBCNews.thumb.jpg.f132d0385e423c80b2aa15a667d16272.jpg

The demand wa simply there because the price beforehand was given. If they said you might get them for £150 or £350 depending on when you get through I would say the demand would be lower. 

21 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah that's the fundamental problem with allowing sales to "friends" - a friend is not a legally definable thing. You can always "make friends" with the person you're selling tickets to. 

Even "family" is difficult in terms of actually proving that. Could limit to transfers with same last name but that's not that helpful for Mr Smith and Mrs Patel.

Aye, simpler and easier to manage by just not catering for that option. 

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Turns out the real problem was that they should have been more expensive in the first place.

1212146768_Screenshot_20240902_094525_BBCNews.thumb.jpg.f132d0385e423c80b2aa15a667d16272.jpg

Hard not to conclude that a competition economist isn't the most impartial opinion on this matter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

They did say they would beforehand. Those are a LOT easier to cancel than the ones on StubHub because it's all within the Ticketmaster system. Guessing they might look at it now the week has started. 

If you're selling the other two, maybe sticking them on resale as soon as it's available might stop that happening?

Good shout. I had a similar experience with Arctics tickets last summer, buying more than 4 across two different nights not realising it was a 4-ticket limit for the entire tour. They cancelled the second batch of 4, but the good news was (and this may happen for Oasis) the cancellations were done en masse, so as soon as the email came through I got my mates to go on and they could buy tickets for shows that were previously sold out.

54 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

What a load of bollocks, only some were willing to pay £350. If the tickets were advertised as £350 in the first place then I dont think most people would have even bothered. On the basis of the above then only the richest or most desparate should ever go to gigs. Might as well have an auction and the highest 1 million offers get the tickets

I think they'd have sold out at £300. It's a primarily older market, they're more likely to have the money. I don't think it'd be sustainable, but that's part of the appeal. They're not going to be doing this again next year. 

Anything that sells out that quickly is underpriced, if your objective is to make the most money possible. With UK concert tickets for big shows though, there still seems to be a desire to keep in the realms of the affordable for a larger set of people. It's why the whole dynamic pricing thing feels so bad though. If the tickets were just £300, it's a lot of money, but at least everyone there has paid £300. Whereas if you pay £300 and someone else has paid £150 because they got in earlier, that feels a lot worse.

Just set the price. Then people can make a decision. Ramping them up after you've been queueing already for hours sends you in to a panic, meaning you'd pay more than you ever would rationally. 

If you set the price too low, tough luck. It's not like they were cheap at the original price.

21 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

What a load of bollocks, only some were willing to pay £350. If the tickets were advertised as £350 in the first place then I dont think most people would have even bothered. On the basis of the above then only the richest or most desparate should ever go to gigs. Might as well have an auction and the highest 1 million offers get the tickets

Without the dynamic pricing they probably wouldn’t have set the starting price at £350, but I can easily imagine they would have made the same by charging everyone £200. 

I think the dynamic pricing works in the bands favour as it turns Ticketmaster into the boogeyman. I also think to some fans it also maintains a facade that the reunion isn’t about the money and that facade makes many of those who paid the £150 happy.

34 minutes ago, OwlsMatt said:

Good shout. I had a similar experience with Arctics tickets last summer, buying more than 4 across two different nights not realising it was a 4-ticket limit for the entire tour. They cancelled the second batch of 4, but the good news was (and this may happen for Oasis) the cancellations were done en masse, so as soon as the email came through I got my mates to go on and they could buy tickets for shows that were previously sold out.

Interesting that they only cancelled the additional tickets, that's good as it doesn't go too far down the "punishment" road. Hopefully the same this time. If they do only cancel the 2 and your other ones are intact, can you post on here to let us know please? Still got a couple of friends looking so can get them onto it 

• Like 1

I'm really surprised how few people I know who got tickets.

I knew a hell of a lot who wanted them - work, facebook friends, old mates from school etc.

Seemed like everyone wanted them. I know of hardly any people who got them.

It was clearly vastly oversubscribed.

Surge Pricing is a disgrace - I got mine in the presale. I wouldnt have paid the demand price. I dont have that money to spend on a gig. I can justify Glastonbury as its basically a week - no chance for a gig 

Probably been mentioned and discussed earlier in the thread, but isn’t there the opportunity here for Ticketmaster to artificially create a ‘queue’ which will inflate the demand, hence therefore triggering this ‘surge’ pricing? And they can do this in house and totally as they please, probably with some complex calculations behind the scenes. 

On ticket prices, there is only ONE thing that will make ticket prices cheaper and that is for people to stop buying them. Prices are determined by the market and, as of right now, the market is willing to spend extortionate money on tickets, or, "whatever it costs" (the latter is the main issue).

I know two separate people who went for tickets and as they were queuing said they hadn't even thought about the price or if they could afford it, just that whatever it costs they would pay. One got face value standing £150ish, and one "had to" (their words) get a VIP ticket for around £270ish. Both said beforehand that they were going just because they "have to yaknow". 

The market dictates the price, same with any commodity, and at the moment the market is driven entirely by FOMO and Keeping Up With Joneses, mainly thanks to social media. 

You can try and regulate prices, but you can't regulate consumers intent on one-upping their neighbour.

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Probably been mentioned and discussed earlier in the thread, but isn’t there the opportunity here for Ticketmaster to artificially create a ‘queue’ which will inflate the demand, hence therefore triggering this ‘surge’ pricing? And they can do this in house and totally as they please, probably with some complex calculations behind the scenes. 

Yes. I am certain Gigs and Tours did this as my friend queued there from 8am until 3:30pm when he finally got through and got a face value standing ticket for Manchester immediately.

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

They may well do this for some concerts but for Oasis they would not need to do this as they knew the que would be huge. The collection of data for the pre-sale would have let them know in this case it was not needed.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I'm really surprised how few people I know who got tickets.

I knew a hell of a lot who wanted them - work, facebook friends, old mates from school etc.

Seemed like everyone wanted them. I know of hardly any people who got them.

It was clearly vastly oversubscribed.

Surge Pricing is a disgrace - I got mine in the presale. I wouldnt have paid the demand price. I dont have that money to spend on a gig. I can justify Glastonbury as its basically a week - no chance for a gig 

Out of those there’s probably quite a few who wanted them if they could go online and get them in 10 mins.

I’m sure that a lot of them will have given up after an hour of waiting, being mistaken for a bot, being kicked out of the queue, bad gateways etc. 

I wonder how many people who REALlY wanted them enough to put up with that and were prepared to pay the surge price failed?  

6 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

On ticket prices, there is only ONE thing that will make ticket prices cheaper and that is for people to stop buying them. Prices are determined by the market and, as of right now, the market is willing to spend extortionate money on tickets, or, "whatever it costs" (the latter is the main issue).

I know two separate people who went for tickets and as they were queuing said they hadn't even thought about the price or if they could afford it, just that whatever it costs they would pay. One got face value standing £150ish, and one "had to" (their words) get a VIP ticket for around £270ish. Both said beforehand that they were going just because they "have to yaknow". 

The market dictates the price, same with any commodity, and at the moment the market is driven entirely by FOMO and Keeping Up With Joneses, mainly thanks to social media. 

You can try and regulate prices, but you can't regulate consumers intent on one-upping their neighbour.

I agree I think the hype that social media creates and also the yearning to be part of that hype plays a big role here. I think for some the likes and comments are worth the premium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dales said:

They may well do this for some concerts but for Oasis they would not need to do this as they knew the que would be huge. The collection of data for the pre-sale would have let them know in this case it was not needed.

Yeah true, I guess I was more coming from the angle that by not allowing them to sell out in minutes (which traditionally they would have), but this whole drawn out saga for hours, essentially created hundreds of thousands of people waiting in a queue, who purchased tickets at these inflated prices if they were ‘lucky’ enough to get through, as they felt they had no option to and had to decide in a split second. Whereas with more time and rationale, they may have realised that £350+ for general admission is crazy money. 
So they get people to purchase at these prices because of the queue they have themselves controlled. 

16 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yeah true, I guess I was more coming from the angle that by not allowing them to sell out in minutes (which traditionally they would have), but this whole drawn out saga for hours, essentially created hundreds of thousands of people waiting in a queue, who purchased tickets at these inflated prices if they were ‘lucky’ enough to get through, as they felt they had no option to and had to decide in a split second. Whereas with more time and rationale, they may have realised that £350+ for general admission is crazy money. 
So they get people to purchase at these prices because of the queue they have themselves controlled. 

Nobody has to decide in a split second though. I got onto the ticket page and there was only 'In demand' tickets available for Cardiff at £356.88. I then spent the next half hour refreshing the ticket page seeing if any standard tickets popped up before I gave in and logged out. The In Demand tickets were still there very late on in the day. Everybody had a chance to make a logical decision. Whether or not they knew that is another matter.

47 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Without the dynamic pricing they probably wouldn’t have set the starting price at £350, but I can easily imagine they would have made the same by charging everyone £200. 

I think the dynamic pricing works in the bands favour as it turns Ticketmaster into the boogeyman. I also think to some fans it also maintains a facade that the reunion isn’t about the money and that facade makes many of those who paid the £150 happy.

For the general public maybe this is the case - but i think we all on here know £150 is already taking the piss let alone the £200 seats and vip packages

Taylor Swifts show was less and is 3 hours - and she's a bigger act even (albeit without the reunion hype / scarcity factor) whereas Oasis will play for what, 90 minutes

Edited by gfa

3 hours ago, OwlsMatt said:

RE cancelling tickets, I managed to get 4 for Wembley in the presale. My wife was out with her friend who was also trying in the presale, and bought 2 for the same Wembley show, but her internet banking crashed on verification so she used my wife's credit card to buy them. So we now have 6 tickets for one show with the same billing address, albeit all other details separate and both TM accounts were preexisting with order histories etc.

Are they likely to cancel some or all of these on that basis??

Sadly they are likely to cancel one set of them.  This happened to me a few years ago when both my wife and I were trying for next day Centre Court Wimbledon tickets through Ticketmaster.  There was a limit of 2 per household and we both somehow got through but didn't realise as I was at work and she was at home.  The next day I got a text saying mine were cancelled as both sets had been bought using credit cards with the same billing address.

Edited by doogie

Just now, MilkyJoe said:

Nobody has to decide in a split second though. I got onto the ticket page and there was only 'In demand' tickets available for Cardiff at £356.88. I then spent the next half hour refreshing the ticket page seeing if any standard tickets popped up before I gave in and logged out. The In Demand tickets were still there very late on in the day. Everybody had a chance to make a logical decision. Whether or not they knew that is another matter.

Do you actually think most people sit there refreshing for half an hour hoping a normal ticket pops up! efests bubble if i've ever heard it

People think its either £350 or viagogo - and are stressed and rushed into it thinking they could get kicked out when TM f**ks up or crashes.

2 hours ago, OwlsMatt said:

RE cancelling tickets, I managed to get 4 for Wembley in the presale. My wife was out with her friend who was also trying in the presale, and bought 2 for the same Wembley show, but her internet banking crashed on verification so she used my wife's credit card to buy them. So we now have 6 tickets for one show with the same billing address, albeit all other details separate and both TM accounts were preexisting with order histories etc.

Are they likely to cancel some or all of these on that basis??

Hard to say IMO. Example a post or two above me uses wimbledon as an example who i'd assume are quite strict

Ed Sheeran tickets? the cure? - yeah probably

Gallagher brothers cash grab, probably not!

• Upvote 1