Oasis

chew the fat

17 hours ago, Johndenis said:

@pink_triangle what are "surge tickets"?  My instinct is that there are too many dates and, come the gigs next year, there will be loads of spares going with folk unable to overcome agoraphobia, having to actually go out and do something, general remorse at having spent hundreds of pounds etc. 

As an aside, I saw someone say they will do 90 mins vs Taylor's 3?  I've no idea what their stamina was like pre-break up but surely they will do 2 and a half hours to 3? 

I said this as a guess

Very few acts do over 2 hours

LG and Noel have been doing around 90 minutes on their tours in recent years, i'd expect 105 mins at the absolute most

The Oasis brand is continuing to take a big hit on this reunion as the story is sticking around over social media and the paper for several days. People are now rightfully pointing the finger at the band, particularly the tweet where Liam called Noel out for greed on his ticket prices back in 2017. 

They will say they don't care, Noel probably doesn't, but Liam loves to be loved and he will hate seeing all the comments slating him over the past weekend on social media. 

3 minutes ago, reflekting said:

The Oasis brand is continuing to take a big hit on this reunion as the story is sticking around over social media and the paper for several days. People are now rightfully pointing the finger at the band, particularly the tweet where Liam called Noel out for greed on his ticket prices back in 2017. 

They will say they don't care, Noel probably doesn't, but Liam loves to be loved and he will hate seeing all the comments slating him over the past weekend on social media. 

Well, if they do care they could just refund everyone who has bought a platinum or in demand ticket and stop the dynamic pricing. Robert Smith of The Cure did this. Good to see the story is sticking around because righty so Ticketmaster/promoters/bands that agree to dynamic pricing will ruin/change the industry and not for the better, it needs to be made illegal. 

4 minutes ago, reflekting said:

I suspect Liam also loves the money as well, he maybe hides it better. When it comes to social media what action are people willing to take to make their point. At an extreme level they could coordinate a mass boycott of the gigs similar to what some football fans have done in the past. At a less extreme end they could refuse to stream Oasis or refuse to buy merchandise if they attend.

What most will do is absolutely nothing and that’s why things don’t change. Venting on social media is easy and gets likes and reposts, real protest is more challenging.

6 minutes ago, foolee said:

Well, if they do care they could just refund everyone who has bought a platinum or in demand ticket and stop the dynamic pricing. Robert Smith of The Cure did this. Good to see the story is sticking around because righty so Ticketmaster/promoters/bands that agree to dynamic pricing will ruin/change the industry and not for the better, it needs to be made illegal. 

The issue is that it would be virtually impossible to outlaw dynamic pricing when it has been routinely used everywhere for years. As has been mentioned, flights, Holidays, hotel rooms, all use dynamic pricing. It would be much easier just to outlaw culture event tickets being sold for above the face value printed on the ticket and even that comes with inherent problems being that so many ticketed events are digital these days and it would be simple just to issue a ticket with the price you eventually paid on it.

Edited by MilkyJoe

7 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

The issue is that it would be virtually impossible to outlaw dynamic pricing when it has been routinely used everywhere for years. As has been mentioned, flights, Holidays, hotel rooms, all use dynamic pricing. 

Not only that but many people like the use of dynamic pricing in saving them money in these circumstances. For example I got a good deal out of season (when demand is low) at a B&B in York. That is effectively subsidised by those who pay full whack when the races are on.

Get rid of dynamic prices in these respect and the consequence is those who go to the B&B outside the races pay more and/or the B&B goes out of business.

25 minutes ago, reflekting said:

everyone will have forget by next summer

they couldn't give less of a sh*t - their silence tells that

What's with Seetickets not even bringing up the screen with all of the gigs? If you search Oasis you get a message saying all tickets are sold out. 

When do you think they will flip it and go full evil?

Start tickets at £10k, sell them until theres no more sales, then drop the price to £9,500. Continue until sell out.

This way they really get to extract maximum money from everyone and keep all the poors out.

41 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

When do you think they will flip it and go full evil?

Start tickets at £10k, sell them until theres no more sales, then drop the price to £9,500. Continue until sell out.

This way they really get to extract maximum money from everyone and keep all the poors out.

not evil enough.

start tickets at £10k, but drop the price by a tenner every minute, BUT when a ticket is bought, the price goes back to £10k

how long can you hold out?

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I just don’t believe that many people have this £150-300 gig budget per year and once used up that’s it. I imagine you will have some who wouldn’t have gone to any gigs if it wasn’t for oasis and most who do will carry on as they would anyway.

It's not stopping people who go to £10 gigs at the local pub every few weeks from continuing to do that. But it *is* having an impact on people who previously go to 3 or 4 arena / large academy gigs a year now just doing 1 or 2 instead.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Not only that but many people like the use of dynamic pricing in saving them money in these circumstances. For example I got a good deal out of season (when demand is low) at a B&B in York. That is effectively subsidised by those who pay full whack when the races are on.

Get rid of dynamic prices in these respect and the consequence is those who go to the B&B outside the races pay more and/or the B&B goes out of business.

That's the difference though - at least the dynamic pricing on these things sometimes actually results in getting the thing for less than before. And there's always alternatives - you can fly a different day/week/month, go on holiday at a different time, etc. You're paying extra for convenience or preference but there's still an option available to you if you can't afford that. Whereas there's only one way you get to go see Oasis, and it's buying these tickets.

(A more apt comparison would be tickets for theatre shows where they're doing a run of a few weeks/months. The weekend shows will usually be about £5 more expensive, as will matinees. It's not "dynamic" pricing as they're set at the start, although I'd imagine at least some theatre shows have been sold that way)

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I said this as a guess

Very few acts do over 2 hours

LG and Noel have been doing around 90 minutes on their tours in recent years, i'd expect 105 mins at the absolute most

I think it'll be 75 minutes, shortest they can reasonably get away with.

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think it'll be 75 minutes, shortest they can reasonably get away with.

It'll be 2 hours minimum. I last saw them Wembley 2009 just before they imploded and the setlist was 22 songs. I dont imagine its going to be disiimilar

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2009/wembley-stadium-london-england-43d65fb7.html

34 minutes ago, paulshane said:

not evil enough.

start tickets at £10k, but drop the price by a tenner every minute, BUT when a ticket is bought, the price goes back to £10k

how long can you hold out?

FFS , there’s some prospective Tory strategists and MPs on this forum😊😊😉😉

17 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

It'll be 2 hours minimum. I last saw them Wembley 2009 just before they imploded and the setlist was 22 songs. I dont imagine its going to be disiimilar

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2009/wembley-stadium-london-england-43d65fb7.html

Any shorter than this would be absolutely scandalous! 

42 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

Saw them that weekend, was dreadful. Rained all night, band were awful, and it was a really nasty atmosphere in the crowd.

48 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's not stopping people who go to £10 gigs at the local pub every few weeks from continuing to do that. But it *is* having an impact on people who previously go to 3 or 4 arena / large academy gigs a year now just doing 1 or 2 instead.

That's the difference though - at least the dynamic pricing on these things sometimes actually results in getting the thing for less than before. And there's always alternatives - you can fly a different day/week/month, go on holiday at a different time, etc. You're paying extra for convenience or preference but there's still an option available to you if you can't afford that. Whereas there's only one way you get to go see Oasis, and it's buying these tickets.

(A more apt comparison would be tickets for theatre shows where they're doing a run of a few weeks/months. The weekend shows will usually be about £5 more expensive, as will matinees. It's not "dynamic" pricing as they're set at the start, although I'd imagine at least some theatre shows have been sold that way)

My point was more on dynamic pricing in general and how it works for the consumer in certain situations. I think from a legal perspective it may be hard to say it’s allowed in some industries and not others. I think they would need to get rid of it for all industries which I believe would probably just cause prices to rise for consumers as cheaper deals were hiked up.

I would argue that in this case dynamic pricing is resulting in some getting cheaper tickets. The artist wants maximum profit and if dynamic pricing wasn’t there they would get it another way, my guess by increasing the face value of all the other tickets. Some are effectively asking the artists not to take market value as a gesture to save the fans some money. While some will (and have) done this I struggle to criticise musicians for trying to maximise their income which is something most people in entertainment and beyond try to do.

Where there is a comparison with different industries is there is still an element of choice and people can make the choice to miss out and spend their money elsewhere. As I have said previously the most I can see is some kind of disclaimer on Ticketmaster which ticks a legal box but doesn’t result in meaningful change, the only way to enact meaningful change is for people to refuse to pay and not enough are willing to make that sacrifice.  

2 hours ago, Alan_C said:

What's with Seetickets not even bringing up the screen with all of the gigs? If you search Oasis you get a message saying all tickets are sold out. 

I think they did that to get people to leave their site when they first sold out as it was still too busy for anyone to buy anything else. Guessing it'll come back to normal at some point soon

20 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Saw them that weekend, was dreadful. Rained all night, band were awful, and it was a really nasty atmosphere in the crowd.

Yep. Somthing was defintly afoot that weekend - I remember The Enemy being ok and kasabian being pretty good but Oasis were rubbish. I remember thinking after that the end was near. 

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

My point was more on dynamic pricing in general and how it works for the consumer in certain situations. I think from a legal perspective it may be hard to say it’s allowed in some industries and not others. I think they would need to get rid of it for all industries which I believe would probably just cause prices to rise for consumers as cheaper deals were hiked up.

I would argue that in this case dynamic pricing is resulting in some getting cheaper tickets. The artist wants maximum profit and if dynamic pricing wasn’t there they would get it another way, my guess by increasing the face value of all the other tickets. Some are effectively asking the artists not to take market value as a gesture to save the fans some money. While some will (and have) done this I struggle to criticise musicians for trying to maximise their income which is something most people in entertainment and beyond try to do.

Where there is a comparison with different industries is there is still an element of choice and people can make the choice to miss out and spend their money elsewhere. As I have said previously the most I can see is some kind of disclaimer on Ticketmaster which ticks a legal box but doesn’t result in meaningful change, the only way to enact meaningful change is for people to refuse to pay and not enough are willing to make that sacrifice.  

From a legal perspective it's more than possible to treat some industries differently. See the legislation on resale of football tickets that doesn't exist for gigs. That didn't come out of nowhere. Change can absolutely be brought in if the will is there.

If the artist wants maximum profit then yes, you just set the price higher. But that can also impact on the quality of the show, if you care about that. Do you want an audience of people who can all afford £400 a ticket?

I'm also more than happy to criticise millionaires for trying to maximise their income. Just because other people do it doesn't make it right. And you contrast that with the likes of Paul Heaton who has kept his tour tickets to £35.

Then you also take into account this was a band that traded on being "the voice of the working class" for decades.

19 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

From a legal perspective it's more than possible to treat some industries differently. See the legislation on resale of football tickets that doesn't exist for gigs. That didn't come out of nowhere. Change can absolutely be brought in if the will is there.

If the artist wants maximum profit then yes, you just set the price higher. But that can also impact on the quality of the show, if you care about that. Do you want an audience of people who can all afford £400 a ticket?

I'm also more than happy to criticise millionaires for trying to maximise their income. Just because other people do it doesn't make it right. And you contrast that with the likes of Paul Heaton who has kept his tour tickets to £35.

Then you also take into account this was a band that traded on being "the voice of the working class" for decades.

Isn’t the legislation regarding football resale more linked to security than cost? Having looked for my son there are definitely sites selling Liverpool tickets at top whack. I suspect with the American taking over football we are more likely to see rules loosened to support them making money rather than a move the other way. Again though a lot of the talk seems to be about how to sort this through legislation, at what stage do the customers take responsibility. They can kill off dynamic pricing today if everyone refuses to pay.

I honestly don’t think Oasis really care about who is in the audience if they get their payday. I also doubt charging 150 or 300 would impact on who attends that much. I think people will just find the money. I agree selling at face value seems fairer, I also suspect if you emailed all those who paid 150 if they wanted to pay more so those who paid 350 could pay less, you wouldn’t get many takers.

Again I have no issues of criticising millionaire but some seem to lack consistency. I see friends moaning about Oasis tickets who would never consider asking millionaire footballers of their premiership teams to take a lower salary and put the money into a pot to reduce ticket prices for fans. If people have fallen for the working class guff then more fool them. This reunion is about money, the fans can decide if they want to contribute to the Gallagher retirement fund.

My biggest take from all this is that in future very few people can complain that they don't know about dynamic pricing. It has had so much coverage, you can assume that everyone should not be surprised when they encounter it while buying concert tickets next time.

There's no such thing is bad publicity. It's effectively been a big launch for dynamic pricing and it's got the concept out there for all to understand. Quietly, TM are probably happy with the situation as its most likely speeded up the spread of the concept. The next time its offered to an artist they may well think, well if its good enough for Oasis?

If they are forced to advertise it on the sale they will comply, but I really struggle to understand why concert tickets should be treated different to taxi fares, air fares etc from a business point of view. Ticketmaster would need to have a completely incompetent legal team to not be able to argue that they should not be treated differently to other sectors.

Not everyone is a nice as Bob Smith & Paul Heaton and so good to seethem getting  acknowledged again. However, I don't see their good hearts stopping the process in general. I do hope the next time somone knocks the Cure for Bob not engaging with the crowd, that when he matters he stepped up. Fans dont need some one telling them they are  the best or I love yah.

Whats needed is a business legal reason why concert tickets should be treated differently and there is no one. A health and Safety reason would be good. So far I have not seen anyone come up with one other then from a moral point of view, its wrong, poor form, should not do it because they are working class? I assume these are the people who believe they are the best crow so far on the tour or we only do this for you.