Oasis

chew the fat

11 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Lots of people who were unsuccessful with the first ballot will have got tickets in the general sale though. How are they going to know that?

There's no way of knowing that, and there will be a lot of people who got a ticket on Saturday who will get one for these Wembley gigs. It's probably just the most fair way they can think of. 

2 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Lots of people who were unsuccessful with the first ballot will have got tickets in the general sale though. How are they going to know that?

The codes were tied to your email and so they could cross reference. Your point is very valid, also how many ended up buying on See tickets or Gigs and Tours. Do you count everyone who joined the Ticketmaster que? Those in the que to join the que?

However they run it, there will be some people who are not happy as they feel excluded or think it's unfair. Ultimately, they will probably pick a way that is easy for them to administer and not really care whether anyone agrees or not. We may never even know the details or the methodology of how they do it.

However, I am pretty sure that one way or another a huge amount of tickets will go to those who already have tickets for other shows. Those who go to lots of festivals and gigs i.e the sort of people on efestivals are good at securing tickets. Who here put all there faith in just one person buying the tickets. Like getting Glasto tickets friends and family will have been roped in  to try on your behalf. So, however they do it via the initial ballot details, those who joined the que, those who logged on to ticketmaster on the day or even anyone with a ticketmaster account, there will be chances to buy again. Those with tickets already, can and will end up securing more tickets.

These big ticket events are always going to be loaded to those who are better organised and have big social groups and they will have all the bases covered how ever the draw is worked. 

My guess is that they will use the initial ballet for some if not all tickets because its easy to do They could even leave out anyone who had a code whether that was used or not. There is never going to be a way to do it that please's everyone.

Even If they had a new ballot, those who are on top of these things are still going to get everyone they know to sign up and increase their chances again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

I suspected this was going to be the outcome from the band and to be honest it is the best response they could have come up with. Plausible denial and all that. I can't see anybody being refunded though. At the end of the day it was their choice whether to cough up the extra 200 quid and they knew that others had only paid 150.

Offering a partial refund would not be fair on the many people who got onto the Ticketmaster site (some before the people who chose to pay the extra £200) and voted with their feet. 

Many of which would have a ticket if they had been available at £150.

People made a decision on whether to pay the extra so it is what it is.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

Offering a partial refund would not be fair on the many people who got onto the Ticketmaster site (some before the people who chose to pay the extra £200) and voted with their feet. 

Many of which would have a ticket if they had been available at £150.

People made a decision on whether to pay the extra so it is what it is.

Yep. It wasn't my suggestion that people should be refunded. I was one of the ones that voted with my feet!😊

• Upvote 1

At the moment we dont really know how the ballot is going to be run and so we can all make assumptions on the methodolgy.

There also seems to be a lot of people also speculating that these new dates will not have dynamic pricing, However, I have not seen anything official looking that says it will not be used again. All Oasis have done is pass the buck, they have not stated it will not be used again. So maybe if you are the last bunch in the staggered sale, will be left with the same expensive options or will th bin off dynamic priced tickets in favour of more packages?

Pretty sure those in with a chance of the ballot will be those that registered initially minus those successful with the initial ballot plus the emails used to order a ticket on Saturday. 

There will still be a high chance that those already in a possession of a ticket purchased by a friend will be chosen in the second ballot. 

Really there is no other fair way.  I am still absolutely gob smacked at the demand for these gigs.

17 hours ago, FrogStupid said:

On the subject of Saturday's shitshow and 'Dynamic Pricing', according to the NME:

Responding to the complaints over dynamic ticketing, the statement from the band said: “It needs to be made clear that Oasis leave decisions on ticketing and pricing entirely to their promoters and management, and at no time had any awareness that dynamic pricing was going to be used.

“While prior meetings between promoters, Ticketmaster and the band’s management resulted in a positive ticket sale strategy, which would be a fair experience for fans, including dynamic ticketing to help keep general ticket prices down as well as reduce touting, the execution of the plan failed to meet expectations. All parties involved did their utmost to deliver the best possible fan experience, but due to the unprecedented demand this became impossible to achieve.”

Absolute bollocks.

3 minutes ago, hurdy said:

We had a strategy to keep ticket prices down by doubling the price of tickets

As you say, absolute bollocks

Aye, totally agree! Say for example that they announced that all Manchester tickets were going to be £250 each (average of £150 and £350), I imagine that demand would have been lower. They’ve contributed to the demand and failed to manage expectations by announcing tickets we’re going to be £150 and (conveniently) failing to mention dynamic pricing before the sale.  

1 hour ago, hurdy said:

We had a strategy to keep ticket prices down by doubling the price of tickets

As you say, absolute bollocks

It's true in so far as they'll have had a budget for each show. So they need to pay the band X, the venue Y, crew Z... plus whatever profit margin they want means tickets have to bring in £XXX,XXX per show. So then you either divide that number by the number of tickets and sell them all for the same price (more than £150) or you do some tiering and dynamic pricing bullshit to make the lower end prices cheaper, effectively subsidising them with the higher cost tickets to hit your desired revenue.

Now yes, they could have chosen to take a lower profit margin to bring prices down. Or the band could have taken a lower fee. But that was never going to happen. This whole reunion is a golden egg for the promoters, venues and band and they're going to milk it for as much as it's worth.

Sorry if mentioned elsewhere... a friend got through to Ticketmaster after 4+ hours of waiting and turned down the £350 standing tickets.  He was about to shut down his computer, when suddenly Gigs and Tours sprang to life, and offered him the £150 standing tickets - so obviously he got those.  Seems crazy that the sites were offering different prices, and it was pure luck if Gigs and Tours worked before Ticketmaster.  I can imagine there are lots of people who paid £350, and yet a Gigs and Tours opportunity may have been just around the corner.  Sickening.

6 hours ago, philipsteak said:

https://www.trybooking.com/uk/events/landing/57573

OK, it includes a meal but £52 for a tribute band!

And it was announced months ago, well before the Oasis gigs

The one at my local sweatbox (namely this show) was nowhere near that ridiculous price-tag. I get that you're as much paying for the meal and overall occasion, but still. Yikes.

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

It's true in so far as they'll have had a budget for each show. So they need to pay the band X, the venue Y, crew Z... plus whatever profit margin they want means tickets have to bring in £XXX,XXX per show. So then you either divide that number by the number of tickets and sell them all for the same price (more than £150) or you do some tiering and dynamic pricing bullshit to make the lower end prices cheaper, effectively subsidising them with the higher cost tickets to hit your desired revenue.

Now yes, they could have chosen to take a lower profit margin to bring prices down. Or the band could have taken a lower fee. But that was never going to happen. This whole reunion is a golden egg for the promoters, venues and band and they're going to milk it for as much as it's worth.

Yeah, they had to make a very difficult choice between making absolute shed-loads of money.... or boat-loads of money.

Ticketmaster offers artists that option - and Oasis (management) took it.

Anyway, folk might find this interesting...

Oasis, so-called ‘dynamic pricing’ and how Ticketmaster’s two-tier ticketing system ACTUALLY works

Edited by Furq
  • Upvote 2

I cannot see the current government investigation resulting in a ban on platinum pricing, but event ticketing needs reform and there are a few measures that can be implemented that could be positive.

All prices should be publicised before the tickets go on sale. Preferably when the sale is announced.

End transaction / booking / printing / delivery fees. One price - the price advertised is the price you pay. The associated fees can be folded into the price.

If dynamic ticketing is being considered, sellers need to be upfront about it - how much the hike is, what percentage of tickets are affected and what conditions trigger it - and that info must be detailed when the ticket announcement is made.

Artists and their management must contractually agree to this dynamic pricing. There have been cases whewre the artists have been unaware (eg. Crowded House and the Cure) but equally, some acts will dishonestly say it was done by the promoter to save face. If we have this condition, artists who choose greed can no longer hide behind mgmt / promoters / ticket agents.

3 hours ago, neil_clarky said:

The Competition and Markets Authority has launched an investigation:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma-launches-investigation-into-ticketmaster-over-oasis-concert-sales

If anyone wants to relay their experiences:

https://connect.cma.gov.uk/oasis-tickets

My experience: I got tickets faster than the rest and didnt pay more money cause I was prepared. 

ticketmaster has a load of data available. They know what everyones doing. It will be easy to figure out who will be eligible for a ballot and who wont. They could easily filter the rejection ballot people and just give uk registrants priority. As mentioned, tied into emails which were also ticketmaster accounts. When the swift shitshow happened you had Tm put together a report in no time at all with specific data. They have it all at their fingertips. WhT do you think those fees go towards. Its security and analytics.

23 hours ago, FrogStupid said:

Totally agree. Taylor Swift did it.

She didn't offer any refunds when using dynamic pricing to my knowledge, but point me in the right direction if I'm wrong. Crowded House managed to when they had the same issue in NZ though.

Taylor Swift was actually one of the first artists to use dynamic pricing for her Reputation tour a few years ago and was heavily criticised for it at the time, which is what led her team to opt against it for the Eras tour, after the likes of Ed Sheeran had started to call it out.

10 hours ago, chatty said:

It 200 years now one will probably talk about Elvis, The Beatles, Dylan etc. There's a massive amount of adults who are like 18-25 who haven't got a clue who they are now and that's going to continue to become the norm. It'll essentially just be historian's and Uber fans who'll dig into it so I don't think that's a good indicator on who is seminal or not. 

I'd also say that I don't think the next generation would have came about so easy. I mean there's some good bands now, but you have to search for them and if we are honest most of forms of rock based music in the mainstream is pretty much dead. 

Some of the old timers can cause momentary buzzes but very few new bands fail to make an impact beyond have there own cult like following. 

I honestly can see bands like Blossoms getting as much as a hit of being involved in Oasis build up and support as they have with all their hard work getting them where they are today. Well at least I hope so anyway, be nice to have some breaking out into the mainstream again. 

But back to point, I'd say we really only had one generation of bands after Oasis before it died a death per se, and that generation we're massively influenced and rode the coat tails of the Britpop scene. 

I don't agree about Dylan, Elvis and The Beatles. I think everyone will encounter their work at some point in their lives. People still know Beethoven, Bach, Mozart.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Vetted for bots my f**king arse.  It identified me as a bot ten minutes before the presale opened and my Ticketmaster account is still f**ked a week later.

You’re not the only one. I’ve been in a correspondence with them since before the initial ballot sale date as I too was identified as a bot.

They said they had evidence of suspicious activity on my account/IP, which is funny because I bought Fontaines D.C. tix about a fortnight prior with no issues whatsoever.

I requested the evidence of this suspicious activity and despite receiving no response, I can now access TM events again; including the long since sold out Oasis dates…

This is the first time I’ve ever had a serious issue with TM. I’m going to try and avoid them wherever possible moving forward.